Celtic_Bil

HCP
Local club/country
Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire
Irons
MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver
JPX850
Having tried several different shafts over the years, I think the DG XP S300 (replaced by XP115?) probably suited me best when I had them a few years ago. I always thought the standard DG S300 would be too heavy or stiff for me to use, but started to use an old MP32 6 Iron for practicing. I hit it quite well and it felt good, and I have since used them in MP5 and MP54 sets.

I really fancied trying a set of irons with the AMT shafts, thinking they would play somewhere between the DG XP and the DG. So, I am thinking of a set of JPX919 forged and now see that the DG 120 is offered as custom fit. Question is, do I go for AMT or 120? I am assuming that the 6/7 iron in each will be similar (weight wise) so testing at a fitting centre will not give the answer. The only reasoning I can come up with is would I prefer to use lighter shafts in the long irons (& heavier in the short irons) or keep constant weight throughout.

Any thoughts? Great if somebody has experience of the two shafts... Come on Hursty, share your opinion.. :)

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
MP-33 2-PW, MP T-7 52 & 58 wedges
Driver
Cobra Encore ZL F1 Stiff, 913F 3W - Ahina XStiff, Odyssey #7CS
Having tried several different shafts over the years, I think the DG XP S300 (replaced by XP115?) probably suited me best when I had them a few years ago. I always thought the standard DG S300 would be too heavy or stiff for me to use, but started to use an old MP32 6 Iron for practicing. I hit it quite well and it felt good, and I have since used them in MP5 and MP54 sets.

I really fancied trying a set of irons with the AMT shafts, thinking they would play somewhere between the DG XP and the DG. So, I am thinking of a set of JPX919 forged and now see that the DG 120 is offered as custom fit. Question is, do I go for AMT or 120? I am assuming that the 6/7 iron in each will be similar (weight wise) so testing at a fitting centre will not give the answer. The only reasoning I can come up with is would I prefer to use lighter shafts in the long irons (& heavier in the short irons) or keep constant weight throughout.

Any thoughts? Great if somebody has experience of the two shafts... Come on Hursty, share your opinion.. :)
Hi mate,

Havent hit the 120 but have hit the AMT S300 and used to have the XP S300.

AMT feel a bit softer to me than the standard DG shaft, might just be be me wanting to feel a difference though!!

XP were originally designed to aid getting the ball airborne easier ( i hit a low ball flight which is why i was fitted into the XP), the AMT theory is to aid launching the ball easier at the long iron end and controlling the short iron end, ultimately trying to achieve a similar flight throughout the set.

Personally i prefer to see the low penetrating flight at long irons, if I wanted to launch something high at that kind or range id be looking at having a hybrid / 7W in my bag.

Have you tried the PX shafts? I always thought they were harsh, but now im a convert, tightest dispersion i've found so far in my irons. Have the PX 6.0 non flighted in my MP5s and wedges. The LZ versions are also decent offering.

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
MP-33 2-PW, MP T-7 52 & 58 wedges
Driver
Cobra Encore ZL F1 Stiff, 913F 3W - Ahina XStiff, Odyssey #7CS

Hi mate,

Havent hit the 120 but have hit the AMT S300 and used to have the XP S300.

AMT feel a bit softer to me than the standard DG shaft, might just be be me wanting to feel a difference though!!

XP were originally designed to aid getting the ball airborne easier ( i hit a low ball flight which is why i was fitted into the XP), the AMT theory is to aid launching the ball easier at the long iron end and controlling the short iron end, ultimately trying to achieve a similar flight throughout the set.

Personally i prefer to see the low penetrating flight at long irons, if I wanted to launch something high at that kind or range id be looking at having a hybrid / 7W in my bag.

Have you tried the PX shafts? I always thought they were harsh, but now im a convert, tightest dispersion i've found so far in my irons. Have the PX 6.0 non flighted in my MP5s and wedges. The LZ versions are also decent offering.

WalkerCup

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
British Isles
Irons
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 120 Stiff , 3 Deg up plus 1”
Driver
Ping G425 Max 10.5 HZRDS Blue Stiff
Have the Tour Issue DG 120s in a back up set although they are S400, also have AMT S300 in mizuno jpx, can tell you that 120s launch slightly higher than standard tour issue s400 as well as AMT S300, in fact I spoke with True Temper last night in the states to confirm my findings. So from experience 120 will be a higher flight than AMT S300

Celtic_Bil

HCP
Local club/country
Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire
Irons
MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver
JPX850
Thanks for the input Guys. I think either shaft would be good and really fancy trying them. Might keep an eye out for a second hand set or 'toss a coin' and pick one as I don't think trying a 6 iron with both would give much insight.

I've got the PX LZ 5.5 at the minute Hursty in MP18SC. Feel better/softer than the standard PX5.5. Distance is good, but dispersion not as tight as I would like.

Top Bottom