HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I played 9 this morning. Maybe it's because it's my birthday, (70), but all of a sudden I hit the ball really well today. I didn't really keep score, but if I can keep this up, I'll be really happy.

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
36pts in the competition today. Included 3 3-putt bogeys 😬. Definitely in the groove now and the next 2 weeks are massive.
Derbyshire County Team Championship next weekend which is 4 man team strokeplay and it’s on our course 💪🏽. The weekend after I am at Chesterfield Golf Club in the Derbyshire County Amateur Championship. 36 holes scratch medal on a course I’ve played a gazillion times 👍🏽. Now down to 4.5

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
I played 9 this morning. Maybe it's because it's my birthday, (70), but all of a sudden I hit the ball really well today. I didn't really keep score, but if I can keep this up, I'll be really happy.
Belated birthday greetings Dennis - 70 is the new 40 apparently! - I hope your family spoiled you on your big day? - Keep up the good play ... Paul

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Thanks Paul - We just spend sort of a quiet day since we had lots of plans for Mother's Day. My wife had to work, so it was me, one of my golf buddies and later just playing with my dog Hogan. One thing I am still trying to give myself for a present is another dog. Through Adopt-A-Pet, i've been advised there's a female Bichon named Molly, a 1-2 year old, that I've applied to adopt.

I played 18 yesterday, (Monday), and still hit the ball well, but unlike last week, my chipping and putting looked like a left handed blind donkey. I just can't seem to put everything together, but since I only returned to the game recently, I can't complain. I'm still in that honeymoon period where I'm just glad to be playing again.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Made it down to the rollup at New Forest GC today - Nice day to start with but some annoying drizzle for the last 4 or 5 holes - I won a couple of weeks ago, so was playing off 2hcp today - Dropped a shot on the 2nd and then I boarded the "Par Train" with pars all the way to the 10th which I birdied for 4pts (SI 2) - Back 9 was much the same, though managed to drop shots on the two driveable Par 4's (the 15th I hit driver through the green into the trees!) - Nice birdie on 17th & finished with 37pts - 42pts took the honours
Paul

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Last Monday, I played 9 holes in heat and humidity that can only make me think Miami skipped spring and went straight to summer. It was 90 degrees with about 70% humidity. It was hard to wipe myself off with a towel, grab a club and hit a shot before the sweat dripped off my face onto my glasses. I think that's my biggest handicap on the course.

The greens had been aerated 3 days before, so it was fun to smack the ball straight at the hole and watch it skid on the sand with little to no break.

My driver let me down a couple times, but for the past month, I've been really pleased with my iron play. With my shorter swing now, I seem to be hitting the ball a lot straighter, without my usual fade. Little by little, I've started aiming at pins and hitting some closer shots instead of aiming left and depending on the fade. I see some good golf in the future if I can get a handle on how far I hit everything now. Admittedly, I haven't practiced much to find out. I've just been playing.

Without keeping score, I'm beginning to realize after the round that I've played better and better. Maybe I'll start keeping score again.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Golf on Monday was ugly. The only highlight was a birdie on a long 200 yard par 3 with the wind in my face. I hit a 3 wood to 10 feet and made the putt.

In recent months, I've been so thankful just to be playing again that score really hasn't mattered at all. Monday morning was the first time I actually felt upset over how badly I was playing. I just couldn't introduce the club face to the back of the ball.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
As my back issues improve, I am managing to play a bit more \o/ - I had an early fourball at Guildford Tuesday - Our Seniors play off the yellow tees which makes the course much more "get-able" if that's the right word (e.g. the Par 5 8th hole is 105y shorter from the yellow to the medal tee o_O) - Anyway, with my slightly easier swing, I started well & after 3 pars I drove the short Par 4 4th & 2 putted for birdie - Turned with 20pts & my partner & I were 7pts up on the opposition - Not quite so good on the back 9, especially after a dreaded "blob" on the 12th - 16pts on the 9 to give me a 36pt total, though we did take the money in our fourball - Nice to play with the sun on our backs & hopefully more of the same for the next couple of games (?)
Paul

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
The first line says it all... Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Your mention of the "yellow tees", which I presume to be a shorter course than the white club tees, is something my group is definitely looking into. Nouveau riche as Miami is, we call them GOLD tees... Killian Greens is barely 6000 yards from the white tees. Their gold tees are too short for us to enjoy.

On the other hand, Palmetto, another public course near here is so badly designed that playing the gold tees makes no difference to us from playing the whites. There are so many lakes and canals that cross 15 or the 18 holes in positions that are such, we could never play over them. Even from the gold tees, we need to play short of the hazards and have the same shot to the greens that we would have if we played the white tees.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Hi Dennis ... Yes the shorter course in the UK for men is off Yellow, then the White / Medal tee - Some courses have Black / Championship tees - Generally speaking with my Senior pals all our social games / rollups & friendly inter-club matches are played off the Yellows - All competitions & serious inter-club matches are off the Whites
There isn't a huge difference in yardage at Guildford between the Yellow & Whites: 6100 v 5728 yards but a couple of holes are noticeably tougher - I mentioned the Par 5 8th which is over 100y longer, the other notable one is the 14th which is SI2 - I hit 3w GW on Tuesday & off the Whites that would become Driver Mid-iron - Yardage of the hole is 74y longer from the Whites
Incidentally, on Tuesday we were let through by two of the legends at Guildford - John is 92yrs old & his partner is a stripling of only 88yrs! - Interestingly these two always play off the white tees! - I think if I ever made it to their sort of age I'd be playing off the shortest tees I was able too, but what do I know (?)
Paul

seanmor

HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Caprington Golf Club Kilmarnock
Irons
MIZUNO JPX921HM irons 5-PW
Driver
ST-X 230 12.0 deg N.S.Pro 950 GH Neo R flex shaft
Had my first official game of the year on Tuesday playing for my golf clubs Seniors team It's the first time our golf club has entered a team in this inter-club competition, teams are made up of 10 golfers from various golf clubs through out the local area and each game consists of 2 golfers from each team the formate is match-play best of 5 games, we didn't get off to the best of starts losing our game 3 & 2 we also lost the overall games going down 3&2 to Ballochmyle golf club,
Overall it was an excellent days golf with excellent company played on a nice sunny day, and I get to do it all again tomorrow as we play our second home game in the competition against Barassie golf club.

John.

seanmor

HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Caprington Golf Club Kilmarnock
Irons
MIZUNO JPX921HM irons 5-PW
Driver
ST-X 230 12.0 deg N.S.Pro 950 GH Neo R flex shaft
Played my second game for the Seniors team today against Barassie golf club we got off to a good start winning the first two holes halved the next 5 holes and won the next 2 holes to go 4 up at the turn, we then went on to win the 10th halved the 11th and won the 12th to go 6 up with 6 to play finally winning the game 7 & 5 at the par 5 13th hole with a net birdie, the final team score was a home win for us three and a half games to one and a half games,
Again an other excellent days golf with excellent company played on an other nice sunny day.

John.

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Is that you coming into a bit of form before the 5th Major then ? :)

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
I've been struggling to get going this year, stuck in the high 80s, low 90s. My game has been coming along but something's always off. Yesterday was my first glimpse winning a match 5&3 on the way to shooting an 85. Still a couple of balls in the drink with no distance gains, some wrong club choices for chip shots around the green and some bad putts after the match finished.

We have a huge demo day coming up next week and only this morning I learned Mizuno wasn't going to show up. The previous adds had Mizuno listed but not anymore. I was looking forward to trying the new drivers and the JPX Fli-His but I guess it'll have to wait. The latest Mizuno driver I've had a chance to try was the JPX-850. I'm seriously bummed at the moment. I guess it's all eyes on the TM Hi-Toe wedge and maybe checking out how big of a difference a new driver could do with regards to spin and carry distance but I wouldn't like to buy a new one without having tested the Mizunos.

Also, do I want to buy a JPX Fli-Hi without a chance of testing one? I tried the Cobra One hybrid but it didn't work as the shaft was way too light.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Had a funny round yesterday. With 9 GIRs and a couple of up-and-down pars, one would think you're almost definitely getting a decent score. But if you amass 43 putts, you're not. :D

Just no clue of what happened, I couldn't hole anything. Too long, too short, too little break, too much break, missing straight putts left and right, hitting a flagstick right in the middle and the ball bouncing out.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Couple of interesting rounds at New Forest GC yesterday & today - Yesterday I ran a society day for my pals from Guildford GC as there was a Junior Open on & course is closed most of the day - 22 of us played - I ended up tied for first with 39pts & also won both nearest the pins (though I gave those up as prizes for 4th & 5th place (mostly to stop from being lynched!) - I decided to stay overnight locally in b&b so that I could play the course again with 3 of my fellow members - Conditions were perfect (previous day had been quite windy?) & I shot 3 under par with 6x birdies! - Needless to say in our 4BBB match my partner & I wiped the floor with the other two (8&6) - My back is almost 100% just some issues if sitting too long - If only I had have been fit enough for the long haul to Durham ...
Paul

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I left the course after 13 holes on Monday. My cart partner had to leave and I was expecting a UPS delivery I had to sign for, so I just left at the same time. It didn't bother me because it was like playing golf on the surface of the sun. I was really inconsistent with my iron play. I was using an old Titleist driver to see if I could still hit it well enough to make me want to keep it and I nailed every fairway but one. After that, it was a lottery what I'd do with any club in my hands.

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
76 (+4) in the Derbyshire Alliance on Wednesday. Followed it up with 36 (E) for 9 holes at Kedleston Park as practice for the scratch 36 hole in few weeks (Kedleston Goose, Midlands OOM).

Loving golf life at the mo

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Trip down to New Forest GC today - Not surprisingly I was unable to repeat either of my good scores from earlier this week! - I did manage 36pts off 3hcp but it was a glorious day (24*C) - Difficult to concentrate on the golf with loads of these cuties on the course ...
pony and foal 2019.JPG

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
We lost our club championships greensomes match 3&1 today. We blew it on the back nine with a couple of bad approach shots and generally horrible short game.

Even so, I can't wait to get out there again as the ST180 is one blue bomber. I can safely say I gained at least 25 yards over the MP-650, getting distances I used to get from the 650 on very good drives in previous years but I haven't been even close to that this year. Set at 8.5º and with the lower spin, it was a beast. I'm definitely in love with it now despite our first range session not being all that impressive yesterday.

It is a beast!

Top Bottom