HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
The leftie situation gets even tougher at the low hcp end of the player spectrum. We have 2 challenges - firstly less than 30% of regular golfers play off a single digit hcp (taking that particular leftie group down to a max of 3% of the golfing population). Secondly the Mizuno #grainflowforged process is vastly more expensive to set up than other manufacturers cast process. There's a minimum number of sets we'd need to produce / distribute to meet a similar cost / price as the right handed option.
Not being left handed, I haven't paid much attention to this thread, but my interest is piqued in a different way. With such low percentages of players being left handed in the first place, you mentioned the increased cost of tooling up to make left handed irons. I would guess it's no less expensive to tool up for right handed irons, only that the cost is spread much more thinly across future sales, achieving an economy of scale. (Jeez, I'm a college educated economist and I'm actually using my education???)

My curiosity leads me to wonder, just for the hell of it, what are typical tooling costs when Mizuno makes a new model? How much more for the grain flow forging process than a casting process?

I've just always been fascinated in seeing how things are made and watching the videos online that show how it's done. I don't think I've ever heard the cost of it all mentioned. Inquiring minds want to know... So do nosy people like me... :)

HCP
Local club/country
Shannon golf club, Ireland
Irons
Jpx900 forged 4 - pw
Driver
Taylor made M2 10.5 adila rogue regular
Will be interesting to see what happens us lefties with the new irons due in 2024. There's leaked proto photos out already. I would have loved to have been fitted for the 225s when they came out but not available left handed so I'm hoping the next incarnation is released in leftie. Fingers crossed

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
Will be interesting to see what happens us lefties with the new irons due in 2024. There's leaked proto photos out already. I would have loved to have been fitted for the 225s when they came out but not available left handed so I'm hoping the next incarnation is released in leftie. Fingers crossed
I am a rightie but maybe little Brian's great win might encourage more lefties into the game

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
I am a rightie but maybe little Brian's great win might encourage more lefties into the game
PS... my golf club at Whitley Bay in North Tyneside has many Lefties, lot of good left hand players including our number 1 team player Dan off plus 1.
Might have something to do with that we have so many right hand doglegs! Does my head in trying to line up 😆😇🥰🤣

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Mizuno MP-20 MMC (4-AW) Modus3 105s
Driver
TM Stealth II MRC Tensei Orange 50s
Haven't you seen the post below a few days ago about the 2024 irons? from LOS? - Think I spotted 2x models in LH?
New Irons | Mizuno Golf Forum (mizunoforum.com)

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Driver
PS... my golf club at Whitley Bay in North Tyneside has many Lefties, lot of good left hand players including our number 1 team player Dan off plus 1.
Might have something to do with that we have so many right hand doglegs! Does my head in trying to line up 😆😇🥰🤣
Hi Steve ... Nice to see a post from you pal? - I trust you are keeping well? - I wasn't surprised that Harmon won as the weather conditions made it a bit of a putting competition? - He was super steady from tee to green & on the odd occasion he made a mistake, his putter & short game got him out of it - His mindset seems to have been spot on as well ...
What I did struggle with was his putter? - I dare say sales of it have gone through the roof, but I couldn't ever play with what looks like a DVD player on a stick!
I do wonder however, if there might be some sense in trying to putt left handed? - Through the years, on the Tours & in my personal experience, I have never seen, or played with a left handed golfer who wasn't an outstanding putter? - I think a trip to my local AG to do some testing may be on the cards?

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I have a cousin who is totally right handed, but was given a set of clubs by a left handed uncle, so he learned to play left handed. He carries around an 8 handicap at Valhalla in Louisville, Kentucky. If you saw him try to do anything else left handed, he's totally uncoordinated, can't throw a ball, can't shoot a basketball... But he has a classic left handed golf swing. Go figure...

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Driver
I have a cousin who is totally right handed, but was given a set of clubs by a left handed uncle, so he learned to play left handed. He carries around an 8 handicap at Valhalla in Louisville, Kentucky. If you saw him try to do anything else left handed, he's totally uncoordinated, can't throw a ball, can't shoot a basketball... But he has a classic left handed golf swing. Go figure...
Hi Dennis ... On a similar vein, I am left handed in terms of virtually everything I do apart from golf! - I write, throw, punch etc with my left hand - I was always led to believe that in terms of the golf swing, it was good to play right-handed when your strong side is the left one? - I started playing golf as a righty purely due to the fact that I copied my dad?
Going back to the putting ... You see so many of the good putters on Tour who putt right-handed, putt with their left had low i.e. below their right hand on the grip? - When I try to do this it feels very awkward & I really can't putt at all with my hands in that position? - If I were to start putting left-handed, my hands would already be in the left-handed equivalent of the left hand low (i.e. right hand low?) - I could of course be talking bollards? (not unusual, as Tom Jones would say!)

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
Hi Steve ... Nice to see a post from you pal? - I trust you are keeping well? - I wasn't surprised that Harmon won as the weather conditions made it a bit of a putting competition? - He was super steady from tee to green & on the odd occasion he made a mistake, his putter & short game got him out of it - His mindset seems to have been spot on as well ...
What I did struggle with was his putter? - I dare say sales of it have gone through the roof, but I couldn't ever play with what looks like a DVD player on a stick!
I do wonder however, if there might be some sense in trying to putt left handed? - Through the years, on the Tours & in my personal experience, I have never seen, or played with a left handed golfer who wasn't an outstanding putter? - I think a trip to my local AG to do some testing may be on the cards?
Hi Paul
Yes I am ok thanks.

Still have the TP9's you sold me, I added the PW, SW, 1 and 2 so I have the full lot now.

They are a thing of beauty but nothing more than pretty ornaments on a rack on the wall of my mancave, along with my restored MP14's, MP33s, MP32's, MP37s and Zoid Pro 2s.
I doubt any of them will see grass again in my hands. Happy with my 900 HMs with a couple of 825 hybrids and fairway. Just picked up a mint condition STX 220 driver with a HZRDUS Smoke Reg plus, 5.5 for £150 which I am pleased with.
No longer but so much more forgiving. Still looking for an 825 5 hybrid, they seem to be pretty rare now.

Anyway take care Paul, hope your back is not giving you too much gyp..

Cheers 🙂👍

Smitty

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Going back to the putting ... You see so many of the good putters on Tour who putt right-handed, putt with their left had low
A few years ago, after a 16 month layoff from golf following surgery, I figured it would be a good time to try left hand low. I spent the better part of a month trying to putt left hand low, but even having not played for so long, I never got used to the feel of it. I didn't feel like I putted worse, just pretty much the same, so I didn't stick with it full time.

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
A few years ago, after a 16 month layoff from golf following surgery, I figured it would be a good time to try left hand low. I spent the better part of a month trying to putt left hand low, but even having not played for so long, I never got used to the feel of it. I didn't feel like I putted worse, just pretty much the same, so I didn't stick with it full time.
It takes the wrists out of the stroke putting cack handed, so the motion is smoother without snatching with the right hand.
Its all in the mind really.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Its all in the mind really.
That's the worst thing you could tell me. Depending on my brain for anything golf related is like trying to make a fish ride a bicycle.

(edit) I wonder if anyone using a long putter with a split handed grip would putt left hand low, pulling the putter through instead of pushing it with the right hand?

Last edited:
Top Bottom