HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
By the way LOS - I was really hoping for someone a little more like George Clooney... ;-)

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Sounds like you are making some progress at last..... I saw your comment about 31degrees and thought that's not too bad, before remembering you work in °F not °C ;)

HAIRY ESSEX BLOKE

HCP
Local club/country
Fabulous Frinton on Sea ESSEX
Irons
MP53 4-PW MPT 10 51 & 54 deg various fairways & hybrids plus MX23, MP18MMC, MMC hi fli CLK hybrids T7 wedges
Driver
Mizuno MX700 JPX EZ ,GT & ST180 & ST180G
The doctor said everything went really well and this morning, 24 hours post surgery, I definitely have more feeling in my left hand and fingers. The hand is extremely weak, so physical therapy will have to work on that, but I'm nearly pain free already.

The worst thing I could say right now is, the incision itches a bit and my fingers still feel sort of fat. I feel 1000% better than yesterday and I can't wait for the left hand to heal so I can get the right hand done.
Good luck mate and stay strong

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Physical therapy continues to tear me into pieces every other day, but I definitely see a big difference in my range of motion. Yesterday, I very gently swung a driver, very slowly pulling it back to see how far I could go without pain. I was really happy with the results. I'm not ready to play yet, but for the first time in a year, I feel like there's a pin point of light at the end of the tunnel.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
IT'S FINALLY OVER!!!!!!!!!!

I ACTUALLY PLAYED 9 HOLES THIS MORNING!!!!!!!

After way too long, I finally have enough range of motion and can move without hurting enough to make a very old man swing, but i couldn't be happier about it. I saw Nicklaus on tv lyesterday and while he's older than me, I saw what his once long swing has become and I just thought to myself, "If he can get around that way, so can I."

I made a bunch of 3/4 swings with a short follow through, with nearly every club in the bag and I was amazed how squarely I hit the ball. After so long and with a different swing, I had no idea how far I could hit the ball. I didn't make very many good guesses in that regard, but it felt so good just to actually play again. I didn't even care that I chipped and putted horribly.

I shot 52... 20 shots higher than I once shot on that same 9 holes. I couldn't have cared less. My only par was on the 9th hole, where I made a 10 foot, downhill, breaking right putt. When it went in the hole, I have to admit I nearly cried.

I have to thank my friends John, Fabian and Juan so much. For nearly 16 months, they refused to replace me in their group to flush out a foursome. They always insisted that place was mine.

Before every shot, they all said, "Be careful"... They never let me push myself and as John said after the round, maybe this short swing has a lesson built into it. I hit the ball nearly as far off the tee, but definitely much straighter. Maybe at nearly 70 years old, I've discovered what could be a better way for me to play.

Look out world - I'm BACK!!!

Mizunomarty

HCP
Local club/country
Cleveland/England
Irons
Mizuno MP54 5-PW Dynalite Gold S300 1"+ MP-T4 56 & 60 Wedges Krakatoa Putter
Driver
Mizuno JPX850 Driver,JPX825 Hybrid 19 stiff
Welcome back Dennis. The golfing world has missed you.

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Long time coming, but, worth it in the end. Great to hear that you're back Dennis.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Thanks guys... I'm sitting on the couch, just sort of staring at my clubs by the front door. I'm going to clean them in a little while. I've even missed that. Cleaning my clubs is like a Zen moment to me. Then i think I'm going to pull out every single thing I own that's golf oriented and sort through it all to see what I can throw away, thus making space to buy something new. I have around a dozen pair of golf shoes. I certainly don't need all of them and some are definitely so old they could be thrown out. They don't owe me anything.

Through this year plus, I've ignored all the ads I get by email for golf equipment, clothes and gadgets. I've probably saved thousands of dollars, but that time is probably over too.

The thread about what we've bought lately is about to be slaughtered with my posts. lordy, I'm in trouble!!! :)

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Great news, Dennis! Have fun and be careful out there! 16 months is a long time away from the sport we love and most other things surrounding it.

Have you checked the Rockbottomgolf deals on the T7 wedges? That's a good place to start to resolve the issue of money being misplaced on your bank account. :)

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Congrats Dennis.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Great to hear the wait is finally over Dennis! - I've said many times how bad I would be at coping with what you have & not playing for that long would result in me being admitted to an asylum - Chill out over all the things you now plan to buy & remember "there are no pockets on a shroud!"
Paul

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Funny you mentioned the old saying about there being no pockets in a shroud. I do know people have been buried with little trinkets like pictures of their dog or children. Who says my favorite putter can't go with me?

The gloves I bought arrived and were for the wrong hand. They went back and the new shipment is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Even though I didn't play for over a year, I don't know how in the world I let myself get down to one glove. My hands are huge and I buy cheap gloves because I tear up expensive ones just as quickly as cheap ones. I probably go through 10 a year just playing once a week.

I pulled everything out of my closet yesterday. I have a bunch of goofy headcovers like Garfield the Cat, a Rastafarian man knitted in Jamaica and a big white Bichon Frise headcover I love because i have the dog to match, but the silly cover doesn't go far enough down over the driver to stay on while the cart rolls down the course. It keeps falling off. I need to find some way to display them. I dropped the Bichon cover on the bedroom carpet at one oint and Hogan thought it was a toy for him.

I have all the crazy stuff non golfing friends bought me as gifts, like a cup you put on the ball to draw a line. Another one is a stencil to draw a happy face. One gadget works with a battery and vibrates the ball, supposedly into a position where, if the ball isn't perfect, the heavier side will be at the bottom. You can then mark it so it rolls over and over the supposedly best weighted direction. (Yeah, as if I was ever really that good)

I found a small box of peton clips... ??? (I have no idea) There was a box of 100 ball markers from a local charity tournament a friend was involved with. She gave me the swag years ago... 100 ball markers, as if I've never heard of COINS...

Somehow, I had 3 weighted donuts, little things to go over the hosel of the club to swing and loosen up. I have no idea where i got them either.

There were 57 grips of various types, but out of all those, I could only put together 2 full sets of 13 each. Only 2 others were putter grips, both skinny things I'd never use. I did find more tape and mineral spirits I never knew I had. That's going to be useful for the next grip change. My loft and lie protractor and a magnetic duplicate were in there. Sinvce I go to a golf store for club adjustment now, those aren't likely to get used ever again. But, they did make me think of something.

My good set are my Mizuno 900 Hot Metal irons, but my other set are Cobra F7 single length irons. Since all I can hit are punch shots for the moment, I'm using them so I can hit every iron in the bag. Hitting down with wedges and taking a big divot like I usually do could hurt my shoulder, so it's easier to clip the ball off the turf with slightly longer irons. As my range of motion develops, they will eventually be sold too. My wife teased me I was only making space to buy more "stuff"...

Wait until she hears about my plans to sell about 25 of my 50 guitars...

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
My wife is teasing me. She says she knows my shoulder must feel a lot better because my clubs, which have been in the closet for a year, are now residing by the front door. I used to play 3-4 times a week, so after every round, they would get cleaned and stuck right back by the front door, ready to go again. Even though I got down to playing just once a week, they still lived by the door, where I would often conveniently grab a club to grip while watching tv. They are back there again, so to my wife, it translates into me feeling good enough to play golf, THUS she figures I feel good enough to do a bunch of "honey do" jobs around the house and yard.

I should have seen that coming... :-(

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I'm back to using my Mizunos. (YAY!) When I started to play again, I used some one length Cobra irons, but the 5, 6, 7 and 8 iron were slightly uncomfortable. Since my 900 HM set is 1" extra long, it wasn't until the 9 iron in the Cora set that it caught up length wise. The longer Cobra wedges still feel good because I don't need to bend over so much, but I'm going to work on something in that regard.

The running bird is now in residence by my front door... Can't wait until Monday.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Unfortunately, I've reinjured the shoulder. Ridiculous as it sounds, I was installing some pickups in an electric guitar and when I stripped some insulation off a piece of wire, there was some resistance and then it let go and my shoulder jerked.

I'm going back to the Orthopedist next week, but for the moment, it's painful as all get out to swing a club.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Come on Dennis, tell the truth - You were playing the guitar behind your head like Jimmy Hendrix :p

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Come on Dennis, tell the truth - You were playing the guitar behind your head like Jimmy Hendrix :p
THAT i could do... of course, it sounds like crud, but....

I'm still trying to do my physical therapy on my own. It actually doesn't hurt to reach out or up, but the motion to turn my arm behind me or across me to the left hurts, exactly where it needs to go to swing a club.

This is really getting old.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I still have some irritation in a spot sort of below the shoulder at the top of the bicep, but moving me around this morning, my Orthopedist buddy doesn't think I damaged myself. He said as long as I'm careful, I could play golf, but limit myself to sort of punching the ball around with a very abbreviated swing. Now I'm looking forward to Monday to see how it goes.

Top Bottom