MIZUNO

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Re: Joining a tough course in an attempt to improve your gam

Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:36 pm

Posted by Deemac

GMR2iron wrote:

Please let me understand this fully. Are you telling me that for an entire year of membership at a golf club, the cost is roughly $568USD, if my phone did the monetary conversion correctly? I have been in the golf industry for 21 years (Greenskeeper), and have never realized that cost was so low in Europe. Utterly amazing! The club at which I AM EMPLOYED, NOT A MEMBER charges an $85,000 initiation fee, dues are in excess of $1000 per month, and there is a mandatory food and beverage bill to boot. I fully understand our maintenance budgets are much higher here, as the American way of thinking is that every high end club should look like Augusta National, but I did not realize that cost differential could that drasticly alter the membership fees. Any of you guys know what kind of budget the greenskeeper has to work with at an average club there? How many members he has on his crew? Curious now.....

It would not be the "norm" for courses to charge this little...

We have a very broad and diverse range of courses over here too, ranging from Loch Lomond which charges £40,000 entry fee plus £5,000 annual green fees, down to the course mentioned in this thread.

It would be fair to say, that for an average private course in Scotland, a decent course, with decent facilities, you are looking at a joining fee of around £800 and an annual green fee of around £800.

As I have said, there is a hugely diverse range of options over here, and indeed, there are some courses that you simply cannot join, of have an impossibly long waiting list, like Muirfield, Troon, Prestwick, Loch Lomond, etc...

The course mentioned on here is a real bargain, and in general, courses here tend to be around the £800 annual fees per year.
It is a paradoxical but profoundly true and important principle of life that the most likely way to reach a goal is to be aiming not at that goal itself but at some more ambitious goal beyond it. - Arnold Toynbee
Author Information

HCP: 4
Local club/country: Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons: MP 69's
Driver: Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff

Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:47 pm

Posted by BigPete

Having said that there are plenty of championship ready courses available at under £1000 a year depending on location and fewer and fewer clubs are charging full induction fees nowadays.

Getting back to subject for a mo.... to the Highlander

You mentioned you tend to play with low handicap guys a lot. I reckon, regardless of what course you're playing, this will help your scores the most. It really helps playing with very low handicap golfers and witness the shot choices they make, and the clubs they use off the tees. It also emphasises the importance of short game. You're often level off the tee and maybe you both miss the green, but chances are they'll come off with a par most times.
Cobra L4v PX 6.0
Tour Edge 3 wood PX 6.0
Mizuno MP33 3 - PW S300
Mizuno MP T10 54 60 wedge flex
Mizuno MP A306 Winn midsize
Author Information

HCP: 11.4
Local club/country: Northop

Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:06 pm

Posted by t_zoid pro

The Highlander wrote:

Anybody thought about this? I have got to a stage where I feel my already poor short game has stagnated. Limited practice facilities and a short flat parkland course do nothing for the focus anymore.

I have handed in an application for The Nairn Golf Club which is a stunning 6700 yard links course. It hosted the 2012 Curtis Cup and was ranked 9th best course in Scotland 2011.

The course has a great practice area and an enjoyable 9 hole course too. What makes it so tempting is that they are keen for younger members. They are offering under 30's full membership for just £350 which even includes a £50 levy card.

Bargain or what!?

Nairn is fantastic course. A great layout and beautiful smooth, slick greens when I last played it several years. The modern clubhouse is pretty smart too. Lovely views out of the big glass windows.

£350 for a years membership?

A real no-brainer if you ask me!
Author Information

HCP: 10
Local club/country: Hurlston Hall
Irons: Mizuno MP53 4-PW. DG SL S300
Driver: Taylormade R7 quad 10.5 Stiff

Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:00 pm

Posted by canadiangolf

It's worth mentioning that members courses in the uk are different than in north America. In the uk, the annual fees are often something in the £800 - £1200 range but that gets the members exclusive playing privileges usually on weekend mornings (maybe all day weekends for the better clubs). During the week and often after 12pm weekends, anyone can pay the green fee to play. In north America, you wont be playing the $50 - 80K course without a member. Those courses exist here as well and they are similarly priced to those in north America, but I think there are fewer of them here.
Author Information

HCP: 15
Local club/country: Woolston Manor, Essex
Irons: MP-53s/Project-X 6.0/3-PW, MP-T11 Wedges (50, 54, 60)
Driver: Titleist 910D2 9.5 deg/Project-X 7C3, Mizuno MP Titanium 15 deg/Fubuki stiff

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:05 pm

Posted by Villiers1

BigPete wrote:

Having said that there are plenty of championship ready courses available at under £1000 a year depending on location and fewer and fewer clubs are charging full induction fees nowadays.

Getting back to subject for a mo.... to the Highlander

You mentioned you tend to play with low handicap guys a lot. I reckon, regardless of what course you're playing, this will help your scores the most. It really helps playing with very low handicap golfers and witness the shot choices they make, and the clubs they use off the tees. It also emphasises the importance of short game. You're often level off the tee and maybe you both miss the green, but chances are they'll come off with a par most times.

That's more or less what I said Pete. Assuming that the OP wants to lower his handicap there is nothing better than playing with the single figure guys regularly. Having thought about the tougher course question, I've had a rethink on that one. Many players off say 18 or above just get fed up on longer courses that require a big draw off the tee and a good short game to be competative. I think cutting your teeth on a shorter course is probably better for the morale and maybe switch to a tougher track once you get to around 12 or under.
"He used to be fairly indecisive, but now he's not so sure"

"5-5-5-6-4-8-7. It's like the dialling code for Tierria del Fuego"

Peter Alliss

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be"

Pink Floyd
Author Information

HCP: 12
Local club/country: Pay & Play
Irons: JPX825 6-PW
Driver: Titleist 913D2 9.5, 913FD Fairway, Fli-Hi 3,4 & 5,JPX 50,56,T-4 60/05,MPTA301Putter

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:21 am

Posted by Patrick148

Shaun, old boy I'm sure playing at Nairn would improve your game over time. I've been a member there now for getting on for 4 years and it did mine.

A bit of background on the fee's the club has over 700 members, but most are over retirment age, this has had an impact on the mount of members playing in comps. For instance we had a 3 club comp non qual just after Christmas, more members played in that than did the last 2 silver comps in the season and the club champs. Sometimes a monthly medal only has 20 entries. So the club is tying to entice younger members and done this by offeing half membership fee for under 30's
The full fee is £630 + £700 joining fee.
Author Information

HCP: 7
Local club/country: The Nairn Golf Club
Irons: MP62, S 300 DG
Driver: MP630, 3 wood and 17 clk all stiff shaft

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:14 am

Posted by Celtic_Bil

Villiers1 wrote:

Having thought about the tougher course question, I've had a rethink on that one. Many players off say 18 or above just get fed up on longer courses that require a big draw off the tee and a good short game to be competative. I think cutting your teeth on a shorter course is probably better for the morale and maybe switch to a tougher track once you get to around 12 or under.

I can see the point you're making V.  If my game is suffering I sometimes play 9 holes from the yellow tees just to shorten the course a bit.  This shaves a few shots of the card and can often boost Morale.

There's no point playing a course that's too tough if you are not going to enjoy it, but if it makes you think differently and improves your course management, decision making and shot selection, then it may improve your game (or at least enjoyment).  I really enjoy plotting out a testing course and been forced to play shorter shots in order to fall short of hazards or give a better shot into the green.

I remember when I first started and a pro from a local store tried to sell me a set of off the shelf blades with stiff shafts.  He know nothing about my game and the pro I actually bought my clubs from (fitted for cavity back with reg shafts) said that if I'd bought the other set I would have probably struggled, maybe even lost the enjoyment and packed the game in.  Saying that, I'm still strugglng and haven't packed it in yet!  :)
87-4-4-5-6 (85-4-3-4-4)
JPX850 10.5 Fujikura Orochi 60 S (1 & Draw)
Titleist 915F 15 Diamana Blue S+ 70 S
Titleist 816H2 21 Diamana Blue S+ 70HY S
MP18SC 4-PW PX LZ 5.5
S5 Blue Ion 50/54/58 DG Wedge
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 34"
Author Information

Local club/country: Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire http://www.hunleyhotel.co.uk/
Irons: MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver: JPX850

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:24 am

Posted by The Highlander

Hey Patrick.

My thinking is once I pay £350 I am in. I will have avoided the joining fee which is always the big hit. Providing I get enough play time I would happily pay for a full adult membership next year if I had too.

You may or may not be aware that Willie has joined too! ;)
Speed[81] Tempo[4] ToeDown[2] KickAngle[4] Release[5]
Author Information

HCP: 10.4
Local club/country: www.torveangolfclub.co.uk www.nairngolfclub.co.uk
Irons: MP H4 #4 / MP 53 5-7 / MP 4 8-P / MP T4 50o, 54o & 58o Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG #7
Driver: Wilson Staff D-100 10.5o Fairway: Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 15o Hybrid: Wilson Staff D-100 19o

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:34 am

Posted by Deemac

Patrick148 wrote:

Sometimes a monthly medal only has 20 entries. So the club is tying to entice younger members and done this by offeing half membership fee for under 30's
The full fee is £630 + £700 joining fee.

That sounds like bliss to me!

The club I'm a member of, apparently has the largest active playing membership in Scotland.  Not unusual to have around 200+ people playing the Saturday Medals during the summer.

It's a complete NIGHTMARE!!
It is a paradoxical but profoundly true and important principle of life that the most likely way to reach a goal is to be aiming not at that goal itself but at some more ambitious goal beyond it. - Arnold Toynbee
Author Information

HCP: 4
Local club/country: Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons: MP 69's
Driver: Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:37 am

Posted by Patrick148

Yes, i am aware he had sub an application form. I think they are still running a waiting list of some sort, just depends on when he applied. Trouble is "The High Handicapper" won't be able to putt for his 2nd shot as he can at Torvean, unless he does it from 200 yards out:)

I think with the Under 30 thing is you pay that as long as you are under 30.

Its not that tough a course though, tougher than Torvean yes. If its like it has been the last few years it just like playing at a parkland course, only windy.
Author Information

Local club/country: The Nairn Golf Club
Irons: MP62, S 300 DG
Driver: MP630, 3 wood and 17 clk all stiff shaft

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010