MIZUNO

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Re: Should your arms hang down vertically at address?

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:17 pm

Posted by HowieT

{USERNAME} wrote:

Quote from Danz.
Take your normal address position ready to strike the ball.  Now gently release your left hand grip (right handed golfers) and see if your left hand moves either away from your body or towards it.  Basically your arms should hang down naturally from your shoulders.

This is the best way to tell that you hands are in the correct position although personally I prefer to take my right hand off the grip as a right handed golfer. 

Your hand position relative to your body will change as you change your posture with different length clubs. But if your hands are the correct distance from the body and in balance, whichever hand you take of will always stay in place and not move forward (hands too close) or backwards (hands too far) relative to the grip.

If you always look in a mirror or have a very set position for your hands, it is likely that they will not always be the right place because you posture will change - think how you hand position will change when you play the ball above and below your feet.
Swing DNA 93 5,4,4,5
Author Information

HCP: 5
Local club/country: United Kingdom
Irons: MP-H4 2 iron; MP-4 4-PW; MP-T4 50*; 54*; 60*/5; All with Px 6.5 shafts
Driver: Wannabe JPX-EZ player

Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:20 pm

Posted by Villiers1

I've realized just by messing around on my patio how much I had been pushing my arms too far away from my body. This has been a bit of a Eureka moment for me in terms of it being a major fault I've slipped into without noticing.

I think this majorly effects the way the club lies on the ground and also make the entire swing too far away from your body, therefore losing power and making the swing too upright with less chance of turning prpoerly around the body

Thanks for posting Chris P :D
"He used to be fairly indecisive, but now he's not so sure"

"5-5-5-6-4-8-7. It's like the dialling code for Tierria del Fuego"

Peter Alliss

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be"

Pink Floyd
Author Information

HCP: 12
Local club/country: Pay & Play
Irons: JPX825 6-PW
Driver: Titleist 913D2 9.5, 913FD Fairway, Fli-Hi 3,4 & 5,JPX 50,56,T-4 60/05,MPTA301Putter

Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:41 pm

Posted by BigPete

the other thing to notice in those vids - and pretty much every pro vid - is that the hands move straight back or inside the line. It's a common fault for us amateurs (especially me) to move the hands outside and hinge the shaft inside, leading to all sorts of problems. These guys always have the club head outside their hands.

i read an article by Justin Rose where he says especially with wedges he tries to brush his pocket on the takeaway.
Cobra L4v PX 6.0
Tour Edge 3 wood PX 6.0
Mizuno MP33 3 - PW S300
Mizuno MP T10 54 60 wedge flex
Mizuno MP A306 Winn midsize
Author Information

HCP: 11.4
Local club/country: Northop

Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:26 am

Posted by Villiers1

BigPete wrote:

the other thing to notice in those vids - and pretty much every pro vid - is that the hands move straight back or inside the line. It's a common fault for us amateurs (especially me) to move the hands outside and hinge the shaft inside, leading to all sorts of problems. These guys always have the club head outside their hands.

i read an article by Justin Rose where he says especially with wedges he tries to brush his pocket on the takeaway.

That's a great tip BP. In my opinion pretty much all the damage in the swing is done in the first couple of feet away from the ball and after that you have to perform all sorts of compensations or loops (aka Furyk) to get something like the right path into impact. In this case if the hands are to high at address you pretty much have no chance of getting the hands in the right position at the top, as you have described

Peter Alliss

Pink Floyd
Author Information

Driver: Titleist 913D2 9.5, 913FD Fairway, Fli-Hi 3,4 & 5,JPX 50,56,T-4 60/05,MPTA301Putter

Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:36 am

Posted by Celtic_Bil

Villiers1 wrote:

I've realized just by messing around on my patio how much I had been pushing my arms too far away from my body. This has been a bit of a Eureka moment for me in terms of it being a major fault I've slipped into without noticing.

I think this majorly effects the way the club lies on the ground and also make the entire swing too far away from your body, therefore losing power and making the swing too upright with less chance of turning prpoerly around the body

I love this whole new Villiers thing that's going on over the past few weeks.

First it's the new ball flight laws and now the new hands position.  How much excitement can you handle!  :) 
87-4-4-5-6 (85-4-3-4-4)
JPX850 10.5 Fujikura Orochi 60 S (1 & Draw)
Titleist 915F 15 Diamana Blue S+ 70 S
Titleist 816H2 21 Diamana Blue S+ 70HY S
MP18SC 4-PW PX LZ 5.5
S5 Blue Ion 50/54/58 DG Wedge
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 34"
Author Information

HCP: 7
Local club/country: Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire http://www.hunleyhotel.co.uk/
Irons: MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver: JPX850

Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:40 am

Posted by Celtic_Bil

BigPete wrote:

I used to (and probably still do) start by moving the hands away from the body instead of straight back.  A big fault with this is that straight away your arms become disconnected from the upper body.

Very good point you make Pete.  And it's good to watch the slow mo videos of the Pros, especially someone like Rose.  Mahan is also great to watch.
87-4-4-5-6 (85-4-3-4-4)
JPX850 10.5 Fujikura Orochi 60 S (1 & Draw)
Titleist 915F 15 Diamana Blue S+ 70 S
Titleist 816H2 21 Diamana Blue S+ 70HY S
MP18SC 4-PW PX LZ 5.5
S5 Blue Ion 50/54/58 DG Wedge
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 34"
Author Information

HCP: 7
Local club/country: Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire http://www.hunleyhotel.co.uk/
Irons: MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver: JPX850

Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:19 am

Posted by Villiers1

Celtic_Bil wrote:

Villiers1 wrote:

I love this whole new Villiers thing that's going on over the past few weeks.

First it's the new ball flight laws and now the new hands position.  How much excitement can you handle!  :) 

lol :D What can I say. I'm like a new man. I think because I'm playing less in an ironic sort of way I'm actually thinking about the swing more clearly. I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but when I was plenty loads of golf I was more focused on the score and less on the actual swing. I also never felt like messing with my swing too much during a busy season in case things went to pot before they got better

Peter Alliss

Pink Floyd
Author Information

Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:07 am

Posted by ChrisP

Villiers1 wrote:

Yeah it's weird how incrementally you can slip into these habits.  With the sun shining behind me at the range I'd noticed via shadows the sole of the club was no longer parallel to the ground and I was reaching out, especially with longer irons and woods. 

#KeepCheckingYourSetUp
Currently .... no clubs!
Author Information

Local club/country: Hawarden

Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:25 pm

Posted by BigPete

Celtic_Bil wrote:

BigPete wrote:

I used to (and probably still do) start by moving the hands away from the body instead of straight back.  A big fault with this is that straight away your arms become disconnected from the upper body.

Very good point you make Pete.  And it's good to watch the slow mo videos of the Pros, especially someone like Rose.  Mahan is also great to watch.

Same coach.... that name Sean Foley crops up again. See where he's pointing the shaft at the beginning of this vid.

Cobra L4v PX 6.0
Tour Edge 3 wood PX 6.0
Mizuno MP33 3 - PW S300
Mizuno MP T10 54 60 wedge flex
Mizuno MP A306 Winn midsize
Author Information

HCP: 11.4
Local club/country: Northop

Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:40 pm

Posted by Villiers1

BigPete wrote:

That's pretty much what I have done in the past as well Pete. Breaking the wrists at the top so the club end up pointing way right and then dropping the hands down to try and stay inside the line. Like you say, all caused by the club being to far outside your hands in the takeaway. I guess in my mind it was the only way to try and draw the ball without actually knowing any other way to do it

Peter Alliss

Pink Floyd
Author Information

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010