MIZUNO

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Re: Should your arms hang down vertically at address?

Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:53 pm

Posted by ChrisP

OK so focused on this quite a bit and checked posture in mirrors, great results again, CHEERS forum chaps!
Currently .... no clubs!
Author Information

Local club/country: Hawarden

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:03 pm

Posted by Villiers1

ChrisP wrote:

OK so focused on this quite a bit and checked posture in mirrors, great results again, CHEERS forum chaps!

Posture is so so important. Especially if you are tall. There is so much stuff on the actual swing, but if you don't get the address position right you are basically buggered before you move the club.

It's a bit like having the worlds best rifle and loading it with the wrong bullits
"He used to be fairly indecisive, but now he's not so sure"

"5-5-5-6-4-8-7. It's like the dialling code for Tierria del Fuego"

Peter Alliss

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be"

Pink Floyd
Author Information

HCP: 12
Local club/country: Pay & Play
Irons: JPX825 6-PW
Driver: Titleist 913D2 9.5, 913FD Fairway, Fli-Hi 3,4 & 5,JPX 50,56,T-4 60/05,MPTA301Putter

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:22 pm

Posted by GraemeJones

Villiers1 wrote:

ChrisP wrote:

Posture is so so important. Especially if you are tall. There is so much stuff on the actual swing, but if you don't get the address position right you are basically buggered before you move the club.

It's a bit like having the worlds best rifle and loading it with the wrong bullits

Had a lesson last week and this is exactly what he had me working on it felt weird but the results are ok
Graeme 'My putting is a lot better recently' Jones
Author Information

HCP: CONGU 3.5
Local club/country: http://www.padeswoodgolfclub.com
Irons: JPX 900 TOUR 5-PW, PX 5.5 shafts Standard length 2 degrees upright Titleist SM6 wedges 52,58 degree TaylorMade Ghost Spider S Putter
Driver: Mizuno JPX 900 Driver JPX 825 3Wood MP650 hybrid 22* FLI HI 18* 24*

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:44 pm

Posted by Villiers1

Stick with it Jonesy. Somebody once said "Whatever feels comfortable in the golf swing is wrong". So all changes feel weird at first. I've found the best thing for practising on the range is using mirrors as Chris is doing. I just frighten myself in the mirror because I think I'm swinging like Tiger Woods and realize I'm more like Donald Duck on speed

Peter Alliss

Pink Floyd
Author Information

Driver: Titleist 913D2 9.5, 913FD Fairway, Fli-Hi 3,4 & 5,JPX 50,56,T-4 60/05,MPTA301Putter

Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:03 pm

Posted by MPB

{USERNAME} wrote:

Note that the correct takeaway line is not straight back from the ball as some teachers insist. Neither have you to make any conscious effort to steer your hand into the "inside takeaway". It is a perfectly natural arc back from the ball. Do not complicate it!

THIS IS THE TAKEAWAY LINE THAT WILL TAKE THE CLUB BACK INTO THE PLANE THAT WE DESIRE.

Any other method of starting the takeaway will produce a different takeaway, and consequently a different swing plane and if the plane of the swing is misaligned the club must be OUT OF POSITION AT THE TOP.

Wait for a rainy day and have a read of the 12 lessons linked on the right hand side of the Golf Today web-site.

It's a brilliant 'go-to' reference to get you back on track if some faults have crept in, as they do.

http://www.golftoday.co.uk/proshop/tuition/lesson6.htm
custom Scratch SB1's, 3-PW, Don White grinds.
Mizuno TP18, 3-SW, DGs300.
SC Buttonback.
Author Information

HCP: 1
Local club/country: JGE Dubai

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:38 pm

Posted by Villiers1

Well I don't think we are saying the club should 'literally' go back in a straight line. This is just a feeling to stop the fault of taking it away outside the line, which a large amount of us do. I agreee with much of the Golf Today stuff, but think that's something to study further once you have stopped the 'outside the line fault'.

Personally I think the most common cause of this fault is not starting the backswing with turning the shoulders and instead starting the backswing with the hands first. Normally this results in the hands being to high and the whole backswing on to steep an axis

Peter Alliss

Pink Floyd
Author Information

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:05 am

Posted by MPB

Hi Villiers1,

The backswing is most definitely started with the left hand and arm in unison for the first 6-12 inches and it is a natural arc backwards based upon your individual body composition.

When the body blocks further rotation, the shoulders then turn to allow the left hand and arm free passage to reach the top on plane. 
SC Buttonback.
Author Information

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:41 am

Posted by Villiers1

MPB wrote:

Hi Villiers1,

The backswing is most definitely started with the left hand and arm in unison for the first 6-12 inches and it is a natural arc backwards based upon your individual body composition.

When the body blocks further rotation, the shoulders then turn to allow the left hand and arm free passage to reach the top on plane. 

Mmmm....well not according to Hogan. The shoulders start the swing followed naturally by the arms and hands. Check out that Dufner clip on the 'Dufner Waggle' thread

Peter Alliss

Pink Floyd
Author Information

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:19 pm

Posted by MPB

Hi Villiers1,

Have a re-read of "Part 3, The First Part of the swing". 

"...ON THE BACKSWING, THE ORDER OF MOVEMENT GOES LIKE THIS: HANDS, ARMS, SHOULDERS, HIPS. (On the downswing the order is just reversed: hips, shoulders, arms, hands.) On the backswing, the hands, arms, and shoulders start to move almost simultaneously. ACTUALLY, THE HANDS START THE CLUBHEAD BACK A SPLIT SECOND BEFORE THE ARMS START BACK. AND THE ARMS BEGIN THEIR MOVEMENT A SPLIT SECOND BEFORE THE SHOULDERS BEGIN TO TURN. AS A GOLFER ACQUIRES FEEL AND RHYTHM THROUGH PRACTICE, THE HANDS, ARMS AND SHOULDERS WILL INSTINCTIVELY TIE IN ON THIS SPLIT-SECOND SCHEDULE. The main point for the novice is to know that they do start back so closely together that their action is unified......"

The whole golf swing takes around 2 seconds. The first 6-12 inches that I spoke of is what Hogan is describing above when he talks of the split second that the hands and arms start first. 

I'd also rule out the Dufner clip as we don't know what ball flight he was trying to achieve with a shoulder turn first (my guess would be an intentional draw as he'd' be on the inside at once) and the swing commentator fails to tell us. You Tube can be a dangerous place with no known outcome of the intended ball flight. 

Very rarely can you be on your own true swing plane with a shoulder turn first followed by the hands. 
SC Buttonback.
Author Information

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:32 pm

Posted by Villiers1

Hi MPB,

Thanks for that. I just found by concentrating more on the shoulders I was less inclined to pick the backswing up to steeply with the hands, resulting in being outside the line at the top. A lot of guys pick up the hands and end up hardly turning the shoulders at all leading to reverse pivots and coming over the top etc.

Peter Alliss

Pink Floyd
Author Information

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010