MIZUNO

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

FAO Mizuno people: Really annoyed and out of pocket

Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:28 pm

Posted by Trap Junior

I have been playing a set of MP52 with Precision Rifle 6.5 built in Cumbernauld. I like this model and so when I wanted a new set they were no longer in in production. I came on here to find out what shafts do mizuno irons take i.e. the .355 or the .370. Since I had got my MP52 with rifle's from the Mizuno factory and with this information recieved one naturally assumed Mizuno used .355 taper standard rifle shafts.

I ordered a new set of MP 52 on ebay from a guy in America with DGS300 shafts (standard length). I assumed these would be identical to the heads I was using that i bought in Europe. My plan was to take out the S300's and put in my old 6.5 shafts into the new clubheads.

I received my new MP52 and took off the 6 iron head and weighed it. It was 262g which is 2g heavier than the european MP52 6 iron head. Thats a bit odd for starters I thought.

Then I went to fit my new head onto the old rifle shaft that I just took out of my old MP52. I wanted to dry assemble it to swingweight it. The bloody head wouldnt fit the shaft!! The shaft it appears is a .370 rifle or the hosel is too narrow. The hosel and shaft were clean and no way would the head go on the shaft. It kept getting stuck partially on.

Why the * is this? I have just spent 400 dollars on a set now that is completely useless to me because I received wrong information on here. Why the * did it not state on here that Mizuno make different weight heads and different diameter hosels? Based on this rubbish info I have lost a lot of money and I am well ***** off.

What the * am i supposed to do now??
Author Information

Local club/country: ireland
Irons: mp 57
Driver: taylormade r9 tp superdeep

Re: FAO Mizuno people: Really annoyed and out of pocket

Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:49 pm

Posted by freddy

Did you actually check with the seller to verify the hosel bore of these heads?

Where is the original question you asked about these irons? Also, lets the the Ebay ad.
JPX825 10.5 KK60
JPX835 3 wood PX 7B3
Anser 17* hybrid, VTS Silver
H4 3,4 S300, C-taper
CMB 5-PW, C-taper
T4 52/58 S400
Versa #7, SS3.0
Author Information

HCP: 2.5
Local club/country: Canada

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:11 pm

Posted by Deemac

Trap Junior...

Sorry to hear about your problems, and I hope you get it sorted out!

One thing I would point out though, is that the different head weights of Mizuno irons is something that is spoken about on the forum regularly. It actually marks the difference between Mizuno and other lesser brands. Mizuno forge two different head weights so that they can maintain their ideal swingweight on longer or shorter clubs.

The heavier heads get used on standard and shorter than standard clubs, and the lighter heads get used on the longer than standard clubs.

This means that Mizuno don't need to monkey about with lead in the shaft and other stuff like that to get their clubs balanced properly. So, it would depend on what the original set make-up was that determines what the head weight would be. You are taking a chance ordering a set of clubs from eBay, when - in all likelyhood - the seller will not know this information.

To be fair to the forum members, when discussing hozzel sizes, it is unlikely that someone would automatically bring this information to the conversation...

The hozzel size debacle is also extremely unfortunate, and I am truly sorry that you seem to have fallen foul of some discrepancy in the information. It would not have been intentional.

You need to bear in mind that this forum is populated by very keen amateurs who like to talk about all things Mizuno, because we are all enthusiasts. If you decide to take - as gospel - information from any of the "non-staff" members, then I would have to say that you do so at your own risk.

As an aside, this is the type of debate that I rarely, if ever, get involved in, as I know very little about club-building and tend not to offer advice of this nature - however, others do, and unless it was a Mizuno Staffer who gave you the original info, then there's not much that can be done about it I'm afraid.

If you could point us in the direction of your original post and the info you received, we could perhaps get to the bottom of it for you and see if there is anyone who can assist.

Hope to see your reply soon...

D.
It is a paradoxical but profoundly true and important principle of life that the most likely way to reach a goal is to be aiming not at that goal itself but at some more ambitious goal beyond it. - Arnold Toynbee
Author Information

HCP: 5.2
Local club/country: East Kilbride http://www.ekgolfclub.com/
Irons: MP 69's
Driver: Mizuno MP 650 PX 6.0

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:18 pm

Posted by Trap Junior

Do mizuno have different diameter hosels for different diameter shafts? Anytime I have been on here and people have asked the question what size shafts do i need to order for my MPxx they are told that all mizuno irons take a .355 taper shaft.

I mean I ordered the exact same head MP52 from a private seller in Ebay america and they are genuine. Althought they may be 2 g heavier for some reason considering both sets were standard length I cannot understand why my 6.5 standard rifle fit my old MP 52 and not my new ones?

So do Mizuno make different diameter hosels?
If so why is this information not on the website especially if a person needs to reshaft a club??
Author Information

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:26 pm

Posted by Deemac

TJ,

Hopefully someone more knowledgable than me will offer comment on this particular thread...

In the meantime, I found this:

http://www.mizunoforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1776&hilit=taper

Don't know if it helps or not, but like I say - this type of thread is not my strongsuit!
It is a paradoxical but profoundly true and important principle of life that the most likely way to reach a goal is to be aiming not at that goal itself but at some more ambitious goal beyond it. - Arnold Toynbee
Author Information

HCP: 5.2
Local club/country: East Kilbride http://www.ekgolfclub.com/
Irons: MP 69's
Driver: Mizuno MP 650 PX 6.0

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:41 pm

Posted by BigPete

This is strange - I was under the impression that all Mizuno irons were taper apart from some 370s for graphite shafts etc.

This assumption is based on quotes like the one that Dee linked. Unbeatenthisyear works on the European Tour truck for Mizuno.

As a possible solution you might be able to get them "bored out" to widen the hosel diameter slightly. Obviously best to have someone who knows what they're doing....

Cobra L4V driver
JPX EZ 5 wood
JPX EZ 3 hybrid
JPX 825 5 hybrid
JPX 825 pro 5-pw
MP R12 50 54 60 wedges
MP 106 putter
Author Information

HCP: 12.2
Local club/country: http://www.claysgolf.co.uk/

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:48 pm

Posted by Trap Junior

I am baffled. I read that link there and as I thought .355 taper. So are my standard rifle shafts in my 2010 MP52 from Cumbernauld 0.355 taper rifle or are they .370 rifle? And why do they fit in my MP52 heads from Cumbernauld but not my MP52 heads from America?

The ones I got from America are dGS300 so they are .355 diameter.

I don't get this at all.
Author Information

Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:46 pm

Posted by drpurpell

Trap Junior wrote:

I am baffled. I read that link there and as I thought .355 taper. So are my standard rifle shafts in my 2010 MP52 from Cumbernauld 0.355 taper rifle or are they .370 rifle? And why do they fit in my MP52 heads from Cumbernauld but not my MP52 heads from America?

The ones I got from America are dGS300 so they are .355 diameter.

I don't get this at all.

DGS300 can be had in both .355 TT and .370 parallel tip.

Have you tried the DG shaft you pulled from the new head in the old one?

If the old head is a parallel bore as you suspect then the DG shaft will not be as snug a fit as the Rifle you originally took from it.

Hope you get this sorted out soon mate, a puzzler right enough.
Author Information

Local club/country: http://langlandsgolfclub.co.uk

Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:52 pm

Posted by Trap Junior

Dunno mate. I put the DG shaft into the old head and it fits (I dunno if its a tiny fraction looser than the rifle tbh as I did this a few hours back.

I measured the shaft tips with a ruler. Both are 9mm diameter which I think is 0.355

But isn't this all irrelevant if Mizuno irons are supposed to be all 0.355 across the board?

I didn't think Mizuno made different hosel bores for different diameter shafts??? If the answer is they don't then whats going on?? Why will one MP52 take the rifle shaft but the new one wont??

I am going to buy a callipers tomorrow and measure the shafts.
Author Information

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:02 pm

Posted by drpurpell

I had an old set of Comp CTs that were parallels, but I would have expected your MP52s to be .355.

Maybe your original set have .370 hosels, or the new set you got from eBay are somehow less than .355 - unlikely unless they are fakes. Not suggesting they are mind you.

Are you certain the hosels in the new heads are completely free of old epoxy? It's sometimes worth giving them another gentle re-heat to soften whatever's left in there before you give them another scrape out. Hope that helps.
Author Information

Local club/country: http://langlandsgolfclub.co.uk

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010