MIZUNO

Shaft Optimizer - Recommended Shafts or personal preference?

Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:05 am

Posted by derekseto

Looking to replace my 9 year old MP-30s to the new JPX-825 Pros, so went for a fitting at the local shop on the Optimizer against a net.

Here are the numbers:

6 iron Headspeed : 85 mph
Tempo: 3
Toe Down: 2
Kick Angle: 4
Release Factor: 4

Recommended shafts: TT Dynalite Gold XP S300, Rifle PXi 5.5 (or was it 6.0?)

I'm currently a 10 handicap and playing the KBS Tour S. The software seems to be recommending lightweight, high launching shafts for me. However, I actually quite like my currently mid-trajectory flight path.

So what does everyone think? Will I start launching everything into the stratosphere? Will I gain distance, lose accuracy? Go with what the software recommends or stick to my KBS?

Thanks for your comments!
Derek
Author Information

HCP: 10
Local club/country: Hong Kong
Irons: Mizuno / MP-30 / 3-PW
Driver: Titleist / 910F / 10.5* / Fujikura Motore F3 S

Re: Shaft Optimizer - Recommended Shafts or personal prefere

Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:14 pm

Posted by Deemac

Difficult to answer...

It's like telling someone what they should have for dinner.

It's personal choice at the end of the day - however, if I was pushed for an answer, I would have to say that a low to mid trajectory is prefferable to a high trajectory, purely from the point of view of playing in windy conditions.

Also remember that the DNA is only a suggestion, and cannot replace feel and preference!
It is a paradoxical but profoundly true and important principle of life that the most likely way to reach a goal is to be aiming not at that goal itself but at some more ambitious goal beyond it. - Arnold Toynbee
Author Information

HCP: 5.2
Local club/country: East Kilbride http://www.ekgolfclub.com/
Irons: MP 69's
Driver: Mizuno MP 650 PX 6.0

Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:57 pm

Posted by swingslow

Similar DNA to mine. My recommendations were XP S300, PX 5.0, KBS Tour S. I initially fitted PX 5.0 but a couple of years on both my iron sets have KBS Tour S shafts. Great shaft for me and if they are working for you I would think long and hard before changing them.
MX 700 9.5 Graphalloy Blue R shaft, Callaway Squareway 15, Cobra 23, S shafts
Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 KBS Tour S shafts, Vokey 50, 54, 58, Nike Ignite 4 putter
Author Information

HCP: 6
Local club/country: Congleton

Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:07 pm

Posted by GMR2iron

I would say the Optimizer gives you recommendations- a place to start. When I went thru the process, it gave me three suggestions "similar" to what I was already hitting. I was able to demo all the shafts together, and like you, I knew the ballflight I wanted first, and the feel I wanted second. Of the three, one of them was awful, just didn't work for me, I began to question Optimizer. But the other two were great shafts for me, and after extensive testing of the two, I ended up going with the PXi. I'll leave the not so good one nameless, so as not to offend, it just didn't work for me.
My advice would be to hit the recommendations, side by side, if you can, and as many others that YOU think would fit your swing. I'm sure a winner will stand out among the pack.
TM SLDR 430 GD AD DJ-6
TM RBZ S2 15*
Mizuno MP-h4 2 iron PXi
Mizuno MP-53 3 iron PXi
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW PXi
Titleist Vokey SM5 52-08
Titleist Vokey SM5 58-04
Yes! Tracy
Author Information

HCP: 5.9
Local club/country: United States
Irons: Mizuno MP-h4 2 iron, MP-53 3 iron, MP-69 4-PW, all PXi
Driver: Taylormade SLDR 430 11* w/ GD AD DJ-6

Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:21 pm

Posted by DCB

MP30s and JPX825s are very different beasts altogether. I played MP30s a while back and currently have the JPX Pros and the clubheads are totaly different. The JPX will launch the ball higher due to the weighting of the head. The MP30 will launch the ball lower. And that's before you take the shafts into consideration.

I think I'd be looking at 59s if I wanted something nearer to the MP30s.

Played my MP30s a few times last summer and they are still lovely clubs ;-)
Author Information

HCP: 15
Local club/country: Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons: Mizuno MP64 5-PW, H4 4iron, JPX825 3H, JPX 5 & 7 Wood, MPR12 52° & 56° Wedges
Driver: JPX EZ 12° Orochi Black Eye

Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:58 am

Posted by derekseto

Thanks for all the comments.

I agree that the Optimizer is a starting point, and would ultimately go with feel. However, I do see that most of the posts here says that the Optimizer recommended shafts that are similar to what the player is already playing. What concerns me is that my recommendations suggested shafts that are very different from my KBS tours. It makes me wonder if I'm playing the totally wrong shaft, even though Flightscope and my naked eye says my current ball flight with the KBS is fine.

I think I'm going to order the new set with the Dynalite XP and see how it goes. If that doesn't work out, I'll just yank the KBS from my MP-30s and stick them soft stepped into the JPX Pros.

Appreciated everyone's input!
Author Information

HCP: 10
Local club/country: Hong Kong
Irons: Mizuno / MP-30 / 3-PW
Driver: Titleist / 910F / 10.5* / Fujikura Motore F3 S

Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Posted by sjaclark

I've always gone for a shaft recommended by the optimizer...which is without doubt the best piece of technology othe market for custom fitting.  

It gives you 3 options then you dial in most optimum performing shaft using the numbers from the launch monitor.  When you have 2 shafts giving similar performance, you go by feel.

I have never gone for a shaft that wasn't listed as one of the 3 options, nor have I seen anyone ever decide on a shaft that wasn't recommended by the optimizer.  It's a fabulous tool.
Author Information

HCP: Pro
Local club/country: Scotland
Irons: MP-69 KBS X-stiff 3-PW....MP Fli-Hi KBS X-Stiff 18*....MP T-11 53* + 58*
Driver: MP 650 10.5* Project X 6B7, MP650 15* Project X 7B3, MP650 19* hybrid Project X HC1

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010