MIZUNO

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Re: Joining a tough course in an attempt to improve your gam

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:49 am

Posted by Villiers1

Celtic_Bil wrote:

Villiers1 wrote:

Having thought about the tougher course question, I've had a rethink on that one. Many players off say 18 or above just get fed up on longer courses that require a big draw off the tee and a good short game to be competative. I think cutting your teeth on a shorter course is probably better for the morale and maybe switch to a tougher track once you get to around 12 or under.

I can see the point you're making V.  If my game is suffering I sometimes play 9 holes from the yellow tees just to shorten the course a bit.  This shaves a few shots of the card and can often boost Morale.

There's no point playing a course that's too tough if you are not going to enjoy it, but if it makes you think differently and improves your course management, decision making and shot selection, then it may improve your game (or at least enjoyment).  I really enjoy plotting out a testing course and been forced to play shorter shots in order to fall short of hazards or give a better shot into the green.

I remember when I first started and a pro from a local store tried to sell me a set of off the shelf blades with stiff shafts.  He know nothing about my game and the pro I actually bought my clubs from (fitted for cavity back with reg shafts) said that if I'd bought the other set I would have probably struggled, maybe even lost the enjoyment and packed the game in.  Saying that, I'm still strugglng and haven't packed it in yet!  :)

Your probably right Bill. I've only just noticed that Highlander is of 11 anyway so maybe the switch is right for him. I switched from a course just under 6,000 yards to a course at around 6,600 and you really had to get it out there with the big stick. It had some very long par 4's and so if you were't far enough from the tee, chances are this compounded into you missing the green with your second etc. I just didn't like the longer course especially in the wind. At the end of the day you have to balance lowering your handicap with enjoying the game
"He used to be fairly indecisive, but now he's not so sure"

"5-5-5-6-4-7. It's like the dialling code for Tierria del Fuego"

Peter Alliss

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be"

Pink Floyd

Last edited by Villiers1 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Author Information

HCP: 9.4
Local club/country: No Club at present
Irons: MP60 4-PW
Driver: Mizuno JPX EZ 9.5#, MP65015# Fairway, JPX82518#Fairway,JPX EZ Utility 22#,MPT101 Putter

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:09 pm

Posted by The Highlander

Patrick148 wrote:

Yes, i am aware he had sub an application form. I think they are still running a waiting list of some sort, just depends on when he applied. Trouble is "The High Handicapper" won't be able to putt for his 2nd shot as he can at Torvean, unless he does it from 200 yards out:)

I think with the Under 30 thing is you pay that as long as you are under 30.

Its not that tough a course though, tougher than Torvean yes. If its like it has been the last few years it just like playing at a parkland course, only windy.

Haha I was shocked to hear him say Nairn. I thought that would be right outside his comfort zone so fair play to him!

I've played Nairn twice - once in the wind and rain and once in the calm, I appreciated it both times. Like I've said the main draw is the practise area to focus on developing my short game. 36+ putts a round and poor bunker technique will never see me below 10.
Speed[81] Tempo[4] ToeDown[2] KickAngle[4] Release[5]
Author Information

HCP: 9.6
Local club/country: www.torveangolfclub.co.uk www.nairngolfclub.co.uk
Irons: MP H4 #4 / MP 53 5-7 / MP 4 8-P / MP T4 50o, 54o & 58o Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG #7
Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5o C1 Fairway: Titleist 913f 15o C1 Hybrid: Titleist 913h 17o B1

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:36 pm

Posted by Patrick148

I wouldn't get too carried away with the practice area. Its closed all winter and only really any good for chipping and maybe bunkers. Though the two bunkers on the chipping greens are on the small side compaired to whats on the course.
The top close chipping green up the top has a biggish bunker more sim to what yo get on the course.

If need to practice i go to the Newton (9 hole course) that will sharpen the short game i would think.

One question for you though is, you do know its almost 20 miles from Inverness don't you?

I'm quite lucky in the fact i work from home a lot of the time "ehem" so can pop there whenever i like and HIAL who I work fore is only a few miles as well.

re you driving now?
Author Information

HCP: 7
Local club/country: The Nairn Golf Club
Irons: MP62, S 300 DG
Driver: MP630, 3 wood and 17 clk all stiff shaft

Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:06 pm

Posted by The Highlander

Patrick148 wrote:

One question for you though is, you do know its almost 20 miles from Inverness don't you?

re you driving now?

Yeah I know.

I'm not driving but I got the train out before and a return was really not that expensive and it was only a 10-15 minute walk from the station to the course. I believe you can also get a month long pass that entitles you to 10 journeys which would reduce the cost even more. 

I've played the course with customers who are based through here and they have stressed they will take me through any time I play with them. I play a lot of golf with John from the Torvean office and he will find out at the same time as me if he has been accepted. We agree we would play most of our golf out at Nairn if we get in. Willie will also no doubt be looking to take some money out of my wallet.

This year will be a trial. A mere 10 visits and I will still have played 10 rounds on a championship standard course for less than a weekend fee at Torvean!

Last edited by The Highlander on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Author Information

Irons: MP H4 #4 / MP 53 5-7 / MP 4 8-P / MP T4 50o, 54o & 58o Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG #7
Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5o C1 Fairway: Titleist 913f 15o C1 Hybrid: Titleist 913h 17o B1

Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:32 pm

Posted by Br1an_g

I joined what I would class a difficult course (not by length but it is very tight on a majority of holes and requires shot shaping off the tee for best position) last year with the aim to challenge my game. I missed a lot of the season through injury but I was still playing to handicap if not slightly better round the new course and usualy better than handicap round most other courses I played

it changed my approach more than anything, hybrids, even irons of the tee to ensure hit the fairway and had a shot even if it was further back, it was better than being in the trees.

I enjoyed it, a lot.  was no longer driver wedge every hole.  every hole was different and needed something different to make sure you scored.

now this year I am back to a more open course, which is slightly longer and has more challenging greens.  my scoring is roughly to handicap or better, my putting is very streaky on the new greens but hopefully it will come. 

I didn't change because I didn't enjoy the difficult course, it was more to do with the condition of the course.

I think its a wise move to play more difficult courses, you become a better thinker round the course.  if there is no punishment for a wild drive then its driver all day off the tee, if there is a risk of unplayable or lost ball then you play for te fairway with whatever consistent club you have.  even if its a 4 iron.
In the Neo Cart Bag bag:
Mizuno jpx825 9.5* orochi Stiff, MP650 17* & 19* Orochi stiff, MP54 3-PW DGX100, MP-T11 KBS Hi-Rev 52*7 58*10, Mizuno MP-T101 33.5
Author Information

HCP: 11.6
Local club/country: Mar Hall & Dullatur
Irons: Mizuno MP54 3-PW DG X100
Driver: Mizuno jpx 825 9.5* orochi stiff

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:52 am

Posted by stevie_r

Br1an_g писал(а):

now this year I am back to a more open course, which is slightly longer and has more challenging greens.  my scoring is roughly to handicap or better, my putting is very streaky on the new greens but hopefully it will come. 

Give me a wave next time you're going down the first, I've a great view of the fairway from my garden :D
Author Information

Local club/country: http://www.gleddochhousegolf.co.uk/
Irons: JPX825 4 - PW, TW9 wedges, Ping Karsten Anser 2
Driver: MP630 FT, MP Ti 4, MP Clk 20

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:38 am

Posted by Patrick148

The Highlander wrote:

Patrick148 wrote:

re you driving now?

Yeah I know.

I'm not driving but I got the train out before and a return was really not that expensive and it was only a 10-15 minute walk from the station to the course. I believe you can also get a month long pass that entitles you to 10 journeys which would reduce the cost even more. 

I've played the course with customers who are based through here and they have stressed they will take me through any time I play with them. I play a lot of golf with John from the Torvean office and he will find out at the same time as me if he has been accepted. We agree we would play most of our golf out at Nairn if we get in. Willie will also no doubt be looking to take some money out of my wallet.

This year will be a trial. A mere 10 visits and I will still have played 10 rounds on a championship standard course for less than a weekend fee at Torvean!

Ive just looked at the Club website and "The High Handicapper" is on the members list. So Rusky is In this year.
The club usually send out a letter letting new members know they are in in December as all membership fees must be paid by the end of Jan.
Author Information

HCP: 7
Local club/country: The Nairn Golf Club
Irons: MP62, S 300 DG
Driver: MP630, 3 wood and 17 clk all stiff shaft

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:00 pm

Posted by The Highlander

That is my acceptance letter arrived in the post. Think I will pop through to Nairn on friday to pay my fees, receive a wee tour and hopefully get a few holes. :) Looking forward to it.
Author Information

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010