MIZUNO

Well I Pulled the Trigger, Trying to trust the Swing DNA

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:01 pm

Posted by Prot

Hi Guys,

Lots more testing. A lot of long iron testing. I was doing my best to make it 'blind'. The problem is, as is with all things over here, is there is no chance to hit these clubs outside. So I'm trusting 1- Feel, 2 - Crappy store monitors, 3 - Experience.

I was still very much considering the Callaway X Forged, but found in the long irons it was just too inconsistent for me.

I even picked up the 825 (non pro) and really didn't care for it. I actually found it harder to find the middle of the face on it!

Eventually I had several swings with the 825 pro, and the MP H4.

I know this is very personal opinion based so take it with a grain of salt, but I found the 825 pro to feel much better... especially the longer the irons. Crazy? Perhaps. I still hit tons of balls with mid irons, and long irons, up to the 4 iron.

Both sets found the center of the face easily but launch was nearly identical for me. I just found the 825 had a bit more juice on it (1* stronger) and I preferred the shape of the ball flight as well as the feel.

I honestly think the 825 pro fits a massively wide player spectrum. What can't you do with these? I am looking very forward to being back with Mizuno, and forging. I really felt my iron play became less accurate with larger, cast clubs (done as an experiment for one season).

Anyway, so I placed my order but we did the Mizuno Swing DNA thing. Now I know I'm not the biggest hitter for my size, I don't hit it far at all. Except with driver, I let it go at about 104 MPH (moderate swing speed?)

The 6 iron was low for me this year at about 77-80 MPH. Two seasons ago I found my fitting results for my last mizuno's (84 MPH).

This year the DNA swing thing suggested Nippon NS Pro 950 Regular Flex. Which is fine, I've had 3 sets with Nippon shafts and LOVE the feel. I have a very easy transition and feel I swing hardest after the ball...

My concern is that I got too soft a shaft. Once I'm in mid season form (I haven't played a round for months - I'm rusty for sure) I may regret these shafts?

Not sure, I always thing of guys like John Daily, and Jack Nicklaus who used regular flex shafts.... It's not necessarily the end of the world if the shaft is too soft... is it? :)

Anyway, aside from my shaft concerns.... I feel these irons can do just about anything and don't punish as much as a true player's forging. They have a great sound/feel factor, and still allow me to play a few different shots. I honestly found the 4 iron very comforting.
Author Information

Local club/country: Canada
Irons: RBZ
Driver: RBZ

Re: Well I Pulled the Trigger, Trying to trust the Swing DNA

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:08 pm

Posted by Deemac

Well done Prot - all the very best with them!
It is a paradoxical but profoundly true and important principle of life that the most likely way to reach a goal is to be aiming not at that goal itself but at some more ambitious goal beyond it. - Arnold Toynbee
Author Information

HCP: 5.2
Local club/country: East Kilbride http://www.ekgolfclub.com/
Irons: MP 69's
Driver: Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:13 pm

Posted by Prot

Thank you. I definitely intend to update the forum on my mid-term experiences with these.

I firmly believe 2 years ago I was a better iron striker, but friends convinced me to lay off the 'hard to hit' , 'shorter' irons, and get into easy, longer, bigger cast clubs. I did it for the year. I think it was to my detriment, but I was curious and gave it a go.

I am looking forward to being a better striker when I get familiar with these.
Author Information

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:01 pm

Posted by BigPete

Good choice - I honestly think the jpx forged irons can be used by anyone from a complete beginner to the tour

JPX driver
TEE XCG 5 wood
JPX 825 5 hybrid
MX 23 5-pw
MP T10 54 60 wedges
MP 106 putter
Author Information

HCP: 11.9
Local club/country: http://www.claysgolf.co.uk/

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:47 pm

Posted by Prot

Thanks. It's no small decision spending this kind of money but I feel good about it. (Have you ever had one of those golf buying decisions you regret before the order has even been placed? lol)

I did just get home though and check. The last time I was fitted my numbers were nearly identical, a slight bit slower (as I'm suggesting I'm rusty may account for that.) and the Mizuno fitter set me up with Nippon 950 STIFF shafts.

I really hope I don't regret the regular shafts!
Author Information

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010