MIZUNO

MP H4 - Any Feedback ?

Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:49 pm

Posted by DCB

Right gents, awaiting arrival of my new 64s and wondering if anyone has any recent feedback from their use of the MP H4 ? I've gone 5-PW in my new set and intend to use existing longer irons ( MP Fli Hi's)  Looking to hear anything good or bad from the Forum which may sway my views.

Cheers.
Author Information

HCP: 15
Local club/country: Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons: Mizuno MP64 5-PW, H4 4iron, JPX825 3H, JPX 5 & 7 Wood, MPR12 52° & 56° Wedges
Driver: JPX EZ 12° Orochi Black Eye

Re: MP H4 - Any Feedback ?

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:33 pm

Posted by Bonobobananas

I replaced my CLK 20 and 23 degrees with the MP H4 3 and 4 irons tweaked to the same degrees in January.

So far I've found them harder to hit, although they do go nicely when you catch them. The flight is higher than the CLKs but my main gripe is I seem considerably shorter in distance with them. I've had them fitted with the same shaft (Nippon NS Pro 1150GH) as my MP59s but wonder if I should have tried different shafts rather than assuming the same would work.

The difficulty is the weather. Being very cold, it could just be that I'm hitting it shorter, well cos it's cold. Once the weather is better and it's a calm day I'll be out and testing to see if my club gapping is ok and if the MPH4s are doing the job I want. So far I have to say I regret selling my CLKs and am looking at Ping G25 or i20 hybrids but I must keep my powder dry until the testing.

Edit: I forgot to say, I also initially found the thick top line distracting with alignment but I think I've gotten used to it now. You'd think it would make you close the club face if anything but I found myself hitting push fades for the first few rounds, now ok.
Driver: TaylorMade R11 9 degree with Accra Tour Z 65+ M4 shaft.
3wood: Not in the bag at the min as too erratic
Hybrid: Mizuno MP650 17 degree now with Nippon NSPro1150GH shaft
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 30.5" 2 x 30g weights
Author Information

HCP: 8.3
Local club/country: Eaton Golf Club, Norwich UK
Irons: MP 59 4-PW. MP54 3iron. MPT Ni 50, 58wedges. All Nippon NS Pro 1150GH Stiff

Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:42 pm

Posted by Deemac

Bonobobananas wrote:

I replaced my CLK 20 and 23 degrees with the MP H4 3 and 4 irons tweaked to the same degrees in January.

So far I've found them harder to hit, although they do go nicely when you catch them. The flight is higher than the CLKs but my main gripe is I seem considerably shorter in distance with them. I've had them fitted with the same shaft (Nippon NS Pro 1150GH) as my MP59s but wonder if I should have tried different shafts rather than assuming the same would work.

The difficulty is the weather. Being very cold, it could just be that I'm hitting it shorter, well cos it's cold. Once the weather is better and it's a calm day I'll be out and testing to see if my club gapping is ok and if the MPH4s are doing the job I want. So far I have to say I regret selling my CLKs and am looking at Ping G25 or i20 hybrids but I must keep my powder dry until the testing.

Edit: I forgot to say, I also initially found the thick top line distracting with alignment but I think I've gotten used to it now. You'd think it would make you close the club face if anything but I found myself hitting push fades for the first few rounds, now ok.

The MP650 hybrids are VERY like the MP CLK's but slightly better!!!
It is a paradoxical but profoundly true and important principle of life that the most likely way to reach a goal is to be aiming not at that goal itself but at some more ambitious goal beyond it. - Arnold Toynbee
Author Information

HCP: 5.2
Local club/country: East Kilbride http://www.ekgolfclub.com/
Irons: MP 69's
Driver: Mizuno MP 650 PX 6.0

Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:48 pm

Posted by Bonobobananas

Deemac wrote:

The MP650 hybrids are VERY like the MP CLK's but slightly better!!!

I had a look at them in the shop but didn't like the look of the larger head than the CLK. I also hear they pop up a bit more than the CLKs but that is anecdotal, I probably should give them a hit. That said I need to give the H4s more of a chance :)
Driver: TaylorMade R11 9 degree with Accra Tour Z 65+ M4 shaft.
3wood: Not in the bag at the min as too erratic
Hybrid: Mizuno MP650 17 degree now with Nippon NSPro1150GH shaft
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 30.5" 2 x 30g weights
Author Information

HCP: 8.3
Local club/country: Eaton Golf Club, Norwich UK
Irons: MP 59 4-PW. MP54 3iron. MPT Ni 50, 58wedges. All Nippon NS Pro 1150GH Stiff

Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:34 am

Posted by Slothman

Will let you tomorrow :)

The 4 Iron in the H4 just looks so much more "playable" than the 4 Iron in my Calloway Diablo Edge.

Slightly smaller sole, way better address...and the weight, oh the weight. Just looking at it I feel like I can crack into it and get good flush contact and knock it stiff from 175meters and just being able to think that is half the battle for me.

But only time will tell :)
Author Information

HCP: 9.6
Local club/country: Albany, Australia http://www.albanygolfclub.com.au/
Irons: Mizuno H4 4-PW, Mizuno MP R12 52/7, 58/10
Driver: Titleist 913 D2 with Stiff Diamana S+ Blue 62 , Mizuno JPX EZ 3 Wood Stiff, Mizuno JPX EZ 5 Wood Stiff, Calloway Diablo 3H Reg

Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:24 am

Posted by DCB

I've used the old MP Fli Hi before and just wonder what the difference between the old and new is in playability terms. Whilst I like the idea of an 'iron' type hybrid I'm not discounting using an out and out hybrid in place of a 4 iron. Current plan is to use my MP Fli Hi 4 and see how things go.
Author Information

HCP: 15
Local club/country: Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons: Mizuno MP64 5-PW, H4 4iron, JPX825 3H, JPX 5 & 7 Wood, MPR12 52° & 56° Wedges
Driver: JPX EZ 12° Orochi Black Eye

Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:14 pm

Posted by GMR2iron

I have the MP-h4 4 iron to compliment my 69's 5-PW, and I had the chance to tinker around with a full set for a couple of rounds. My take is: They do sound and feel a little different than other MP's, especially 3-7. I, personally, am not fond of the "largeness" of them, as I think even the short irons are "thicker" than a 69,64,59,53 etc. When I tried the 4 iron, in an effort to replace a blade 4 iron, I was very impressed; LAUNCHES the ball, and very easy to hit. It is not as hook prone as some hybrids can be. Overall, I think these irons could act as a great long iron replacement, say 2,3,4, or even 5 iron, for someone already playing another MP model, who is searching for more help in launch, apexing out the ball, or for someone who fights the hooks with a hybrid. Notice I said help with launch, not forgiveness. This is still an MP iron, and if you're hitting all over the face, especially the toe, it's going to give you similar results as any other MP- distance loss.
                      I think the full set of MP-h4's would be a perfect set for that mid-capper, trying to replace large, offset shovels, but doesn't quite have the self-belief that he is ready for something like a 64. These irons do hit it high, even the short irons were difficult for me to knock down. I understand that playing in Europe can be more of lower flight of attack due to wind and course conditions, so the high flight of these irons would probably need to be shafted a little differently, to bring flight down a smidge. But they are such good irons that midcapper, who even if he improves to single digits, may not even want to switch to say a 64, and just continue playing the h4's.
                     For the record, and perhaps Big Pete could confirm, the last time I spoke with my Mizuno rep, the full sets of h4's were only offered in the US, and in Europe, it is long irons only. I can verify we have not sold one full set in my pro shop, but orders for 2, 3, and 4 irons are steady. I, and my Pro, both feel that the lack of full set sales has nothing to do with the playability of the irons, but more so with the price of the irons, as the full set is a little more than the other MP sets. Prospective buyers are trying to save a few bucks, and move right in on the 64's, 59's and so forth.
                    I hope my long-winded report can help someone.
TM SLDR 430 GD AD DJ-6
TM RBZ S2 15*
Mizuno MP-h4 2 iron PXi
Mizuno MP-53 3 iron PXi
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW PXi
Titleist Vokey SM5 52-08
Titleist Vokey SM5 58-04
Yes! Tracy
Author Information

HCP: 5.9
Local club/country: United States
Irons: Mizuno MP-h4 2 iron, MP-53 3 iron, MP-69 4-PW, all PXi
Driver: Taylormade SLDR 430 11* w/ GD AD DJ-6

Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:18 pm

Posted by Deemac

GMR2iron wrote:

For the record, and perhaps Big Pete could confirm, the last time I spoke with my Mizuno rep, the full sets of h4's were only offered in the US, and in Europe, it is long irons only. 

Correct!
It is a paradoxical but profoundly true and important principle of life that the most likely way to reach a goal is to be aiming not at that goal itself but at some more ambitious goal beyond it. - Arnold Toynbee
Author Information

HCP: 5.2
Local club/country: East Kilbride http://www.ekgolfclub.com/
Irons: MP 69's
Driver: Mizuno MP 650 PX 6.0

Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:42 am

Posted by GMR2iron

Thanks, Dee.
TM SLDR 430 GD AD DJ-6
TM RBZ S2 15*
Mizuno MP-h4 2 iron PXi