MIZUNO

Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 69  Next

Re: What have you bought recently

Thu May 23, 2013 9:31 pm

Posted by The Highlander

freddy wrote:

The Highlander wrote:

Some of us don't take it quite as serious as others so I'd look after your own scores and not mine.

Play the game to enjoy it no matter where you play, don't play a course as some kind of show of machismo. None of us are making the PGA tour any time soon. ;)

True that, it doesn't matter what your handicap is, the fact that we have one at all tells us how far away we are from the game the guys on tour are playing.

It's funny how we all aspire to the next level. I'd give a ballock to play golf with your ability Freddy. Somehow I can imagine you play with guys playing off a negative handicap while thinking the same thing. haha
Speed[81] Tempo[4] ToeDown[2] KickAngle[4] Release[5]
Author Information

HCP: 9.6
Local club/country: www.torveangolfclub.co.uk www.nairngolfclub.co.uk
Irons: MP H4 #4 / MP 53 5-7 / MP 4 8-P / MP T4 50o, 54o & 58o Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG #7
Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5o C1 Fairway: Titleist 913f 15o C1 Hybrid: Titleist 913h 17o B1

Fri May 24, 2013 1:01 am

Posted by freddy

I've never played with anyone who is a scratch or better unfortunately. I have played with a couple that were close though. I don't really aspire to play in any ultra competitive tournaments outside of the one or two I enter at my club each year. I only enter those to see where my game is really at, so I don't see many scratch players. I play more for fun and compete against myself more than anything. As golf isn't a job for me, I have pretty close to zero motivation to play in tournaments where it is all taken very seriously.

Playing against friends at the club to take money out of their wallet? Now that is always fun :)
JPX825 10.5 KK60
JPX835 3 wood PX 7B3
Anser 17* hybrid, VTS Silver
H4 3,4 S300, C-taper
CMB 5-PW, C-taper
T4 52/58 S400
Versa #7, SS3.0
Author Information

HCP: 2.5
Local club/country: Canada

Fri May 24, 2013 7:55 am

Posted by Patrick148

The Highlander wrote:

freddy wrote:

The Highlander wrote:

Some of us don't take it quite as serious as others so I'd look after your own scores and not mine.

Play the game to enjoy it no matter where you play, don't play a course as some kind of show of machismo. None of us are making the PGA tour any time soon. ;)

True that, it doesn't matter what your handicap is, the fact that we have one at all tells us how far away we are from the game the guys on tour are playing.

It's funny how we all aspire to the next level. I'd give a ballock to play golf with your ability Freddy. Somehow I can imagine you play with guys playing off a negative handicap while thinking the same thing. haha

ShaunOf course you take it seriously, you wouldn’t enter any completions if you didn’t
and I bet you play in at least one a week. Theprofessional game has no relevant to me or anyone else playing club golf other
than it’s the same sport more or less and as for Macho posturing I would have a
look at your own post about how you won a comp at torvean when all the others
members were complaining about the wind.  Yourcalculations on how may extra shots you get at Nairn are wrong anyway, you are
going by par handicaps are from the days CSS.  Nomachismo, I’m just stating a fact Nairn is a harder golf course than Torvean,
hence the SSS (the score a scratch golfer should score on that course) at
Torvean is 1 under par, at Nairn its 3 over parSimilarto Tain. Don’tget me wrong, I think Torvean is a super little course; I would join there
again in an instant if they charged a reasonable rate for 5 day membership.
Author Information

HCP: 7
Local club/country: The Nairn Golf Club
Irons: MP62, S 300 DG
Driver: MP630, 3 wood and 17 clk all stiff shaft

Fri May 24, 2013 12:20 pm

Posted by The Highlander

Patrick148 wrote:

ShaunOf course you take it seriously, you wouldn’t enter any completions if you didn’t
and I bet you play in at least one a week. Theprofessional game has no relevant to me or anyone else playing club golf other
than it’s the same sport more or less and as for Macho posturing I would have a
look at your own post about how you won a comp at torvean when all the others
members were complaining about the wind.  Yourcalculations on how may extra shots you get at Nairn are wrong anyway, you are
going by par handicaps are from the days CSS.  Nomachismo, I’m just stating a fact Nairn is a harder golf course than Torvean,
hence the SSS (the score a scratch golfer should score on that course) at
Torvean is 1 under par, at Nairn its 3 over parSimilarto Tain. Don’tget me wrong, I think Torvean is a super little course; I would join there
again in an instant if they charged a reasonable rate for 5 day membership.

I'm serious in that sense yes. What I meant was I'm not serious enough to worry about who's handicap is what and the difficulty of the course Im playing. I'm interested in improving my handicap of course but that is for me.

I don't imagine you mean to do it but when you were a member it was commonly beleived that you look down at Torvean. I'm not the only person who has noticed this. Pretty much any member who has played with you will say the same thing.

I agree with your views on what consitutes a challenging golf course. I admit myself that Nairn and Torvean are chalk and cheese. However, constantly reminding people of this fact gets boring after a while. Wasn't the reason you left Torvean because you couldn't find people to play with? I play Torvean because I have a lot of playing partners there and find the atmosphere friendly.

I'm maybe not completely spot on with the CSS but the system isn't perfect anyway. What I was pointing out was that the CSS adjusts to reflect playing conditions. If Torvean always plays easy then I will always have to shoot my handicap just to maintain it. Difficult courses counter this to a certain degree with a higher SSS. I'm sure you get what I'm trying to say. 

The majority of what I say about my golf is tongue in cheek. You've met me enough times and everybody I know recognises that I'm pretty laid back about things.
Author Information

Irons: MP H4 #4 / MP 53 5-7 / MP 4 8-P / MP T4 50o, 54o & 58o Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG #7
Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5o C1 Fairway: Titleist 913f 15o C1 Hybrid: Titleist 913h 17o B1

Fri May 24, 2013 1:14 pm

Posted by freddy

I did manage to buy something with the club logo on it. Works great too, one of the better ball mark repair tools i've had.
Attachments
  • IMG_00000063.jpg
    IMG_00000063.jpg [ 70.68 KiB | Viewed 145 times ]
JPX825 10.5 KK60
JPX835 3 wood PX 7B3
H4 3,4 S300, C-taper
CMB 5-PW, C-taper
T4 52/58 S400
Versa #7, SS3.0
Author Information

Fri May 24, 2013 1:24 pm

Posted by Assassin

freddy wrote:

I did manage to buy something with the club logo on it. Works great too, one of the better ball mark repair tools i've had.

I doesnt look like it gets used much :P :lol:
Author Information

HCP: 9.4
Local club/country: Norway
Irons: MP54 4 - PW and MP T4 wedges all with NS 1150GH S shafts
Driver: MP 650

Fri May 24, 2013 1:25 pm

Posted by Patrick148

That’s not “the”reason I left though one of the reasons. I didn’tfind Torvean friendly at all, as a middle class English guy most didn’t play
with me due to that, simple racism really. I found that most members wanted to
play in the same 4 ball every week, I didn’t know any one when I joint there and
the club did nothing to try and include new members and all the comps were
pretty much play with your mates. Probably the clichés club I’ve come across with
reverse snobbery a bit of a factor. At Torveanas I was an outsider that was never welcomed into the club, how would anyone
know my opinions if no one ever played with me?  I notice everytime I question you on something you get very defensive and bring something up
from the past by way of a dig, i.e. , what my handicap was when I left, Missing
a short put against Willie in the club champs and now that I had no one to play
with. If I wassuch a terrible person, I wouldn’t have offered to take you to Tain or Nairn
for a game and given you a lift home a couple of times when it was peeing it
down with Rain. I Fittedright in At Nairn by the way and have met lots of great guys and get to play at
least 4 times a week there, Plus I’m never short of playing partners or
partners in comps and invites to other clubs to play. So beforeyou come back with some other put down about the past, don’t bother’
Author Information

HCP: 7
Local club/country: The Nairn Golf Club
Irons: MP62, S 300 DG
Driver: MP630, 3 wood and 17 clk all stiff shaft

Fri May 24, 2013 1:28 pm

Posted by freddy

Assassin wrote:

freddy wrote:

I doesnt look like it gets used much :P :lol:

haha, it only has one round on it. Plus I like to lay up short, left, right and long of the green so as not to damage it :)
JPX825 10.5 KK60
JPX835 3 wood PX 7B3
H4 3,4 S300, C-taper
CMB 5-PW, C-taper
T4 52/58 S400
Versa #7, SS3.0
Author Information

Fri May 24, 2013 6:18 pm

Posted by The Highlander

Patrick I understand what you are saying but you didn't always do yourself a favor. The few times I have ever played with you all you did was go on about the state of the course and how poor it is. I can only imagine you would be the same with everyone else. It is great to be open and honest but people don't really want to hear how bad their home course is all the time. 

Anybody who played with you found you a bit too opinionated and a bit over bearing. That isn't me having a go at you, that is just the feedback I got. For 3 years I was the guy who had to fit people onto start sheets remember, I was told things whether I wanted to hear them or not. I had one guy James who was infuriated by you because apparently you were having a go at him for using a chipper or the way he putted, I forget exactly but it was in a competition. What ever it was it didn't sound like a way for a guy to endear himself to potential playing partners.

I know you are not a terrible person Patrick. I guess I have never really considered the difference between your background and your typical Torvean member. That is a little ignorant so I appologize for that. Torvean is very much a working class club so I see the problem a bit clearer now.

I'm glad you are fitting in well at Nairn and I'm sorry Torvean didn't work out for you. I guess I was a bit unkind to you but that was only because I started reading you slagging Torvean off for things I hear every time I see you.
Author Information

Fri May 24, 2013 6:36 pm

Posted by Always Dutch

hey HighLander & Patrick - what's all this doing on this thread - take it to Pm if you have some things to sort out.  I was hoping to read interesting stuff about what people have purchased, not historic issues which are not relevant to the rest of us - please take it offline as it chokes up the fun.

Dutch
golf keeps my stress levels topped up.
Author Information

HCP: 8.6
Local club/country: Kenilworth GC, Warwickshire
Irons: MP64 3-PW TourS400 (1/4 inch longer, two wraps), Vokey 52* & 58*
Driver: Titleist 913D3, 913f (both RIP stiff), Adams pro 20, scotty cameron studio design 3.5(32", midsize grip)

Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 69  Next

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010