MIZUNO

Re: R11s - tuning

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:38 am

Posted by Deemac

Alastair Gibson wrote:

Unfortunately the hard facts are that if you have hit 2or 3 drives on a nice ballflight during your round, all the bad ones are pilot error and not the club!! If you had your club set to make the big slice fly straight then the straight shot would hook violently. Its really that simple. Set the club until your good swings fly nicely then leave well alone!

+1 to that!

Amateurs can tend to get confused with this adjustability malarky thinking that it is the cure for swing faults... It's not!

Adjustability will give the club a slight bias, but won't cure a bad swing path.  I know from bitter experience! :lol:
It is a paradoxical but profoundly true and important principle of life that the most likely way to reach a goal is to be aiming not at that goal itself but at some more ambitious goal beyond it. - Arnold Toynbee
Author Information

HCP: 5.2
Local club/country: East Kilbride http://www.ekgolfclub.com/
Irons: MP 69's
Driver: Mizuno MP 650 PX 6.0

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:32 am

Posted by DCB

I've got an R9 that floats in and out of the bag. Once it was optimised and set for my swing that was it. The settings haven't altered since then. It certainly one of the easiest drivers to hit that I've had over the years.

Got a 650 last spring, but you need to work harder to get the best out of it than the old R9.
Author Information

HCP: 15
Local club/country: Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons: Mizuno MP64 5-PW, H4 4iron, JPX825 3H, JPX 5 & 7 Wood, MPR12 52° & 56° Wedges
Driver: JPX EZ 12° Orochi Black Eye

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:32 am

Posted by Terry

Deemac wrote:

Terry wrote:

GraemeJones wrote:

Get one you can't adjust that's my motto. If I could adjust my driver It would be adjusted after every bad shot :)

Sorry Mate they are a thing of the past .
May as well go modern.
None of the major  OEM s offer fixed shafted drivers anymore.

Except Mizuno!

Major? Perhaps in UK.
They don't cater for LH , can't afford to
Author Information

HCP: 14
Local club/country: Qld, Aust.
Irons: Adams a12pros kbs Tour stiff 4-pw
Driver: R1 UST proforce axivore tour black 69

Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:08 pm

Posted by Bonobobananas

Deemac wrote:

Alastair Gibson wrote:

Unfortunately the hard facts are that if you have hit 2or 3 drives on a nice ballflight during your round, all the bad ones are pilot error and not the club!! If you had your club set to make the big slice fly straight then the straight shot would hook violently. Its really that simple. Set the club until your good swings fly nicely then leave well alone!

+1 to that!

Amateurs can tend to get confused with this adjustability malarky thinking that it is the cure for swing faults... It's not!

Adjustability will give the club a slight bias, but won't cure a bad swing path.  I know from bitter experience! :lol:

I agree with this to a point: There's no substitute for a proper initial fitting and from my personal viewpoint, once I had my set up fine tuned I left it well alone.  The advantage of the adjustability is for higher handicappers who are getting better and changing their swings: As you change you can go back to the launch monitor and alter the set up to suit your new and improved swing without buying a whole new club.

Only once a year though :)

ps Vivax, weights available from ebay varying costs. I guess some (most?) are fakes but the ones I got work fine.
Driver: TaylorMade R11 9 degree with Accra Tour Z 65+ M4 shaft.
3wood: Not in the bag at the min as too erratic
Hybrid: Mizuno MP650 17 degree now with Nippon NSPro1150GH shaft
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 30.5" 2 x 30g weights
Author Information

HCP: 8.3
Local club/country: Eaton Golf Club, Norwich UK
Irons: MP 59 4-PW. MP54 3iron. MPT Ni 50, 58wedges. All Nippon NS Pro 1150GH Stiff

Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Posted by vivax

ok guys, just an update....

firstly thanx for all the feedback/advice - even if some is slightly to technical for simple me!

to answer some of the questions asked back....
my previous driver was a 10.5 titleist 909d2 with regular voodoo.

ultimately i dont plan on changing the set-up once im happy and dont even plan on keeping the wrench in my bag. the reason for getting an adjustable driver was to play and see if lofts improve my trojectory, and then stick with a set-up. the face angle wont be changed as i dont like the look at adress of closed faces and open just doesnt give me confidence as i know my shot moves left already.
the set-up i took the r11s to the course with today was neutral face, 10.5 loft and 10g in toe, 1g in heel.

my swing is "only 3/4" and fairly steep, with little wrist release (very similar to steve stricker) and driver, woods and irons all have the same tempo, plane etc with only swing speed increasing slightly due to club length- all of which im aware does create/contribute to my usual shot shape, but im comfortable with this. in my takeaway i start with a wrist hinge early as i dont rotate far enough to hinge late and i rely massively on timing for my power/distance. i generally sweep a ball so dont compress it and my ****** is a fat and never a thin. and i virtually never hit left/pull the ball with any club (other then the putter, lol), and i always play a deliberate push fade where i start the ball 5 yrads left of where i want to cut it back 5-10yards (gives me the leaway of 5 yards left if straight or 5 yards right if i overdo the cut). im told i increase the loft of clubs through my downswing/impact and this is probably why i have a high ball flight with all clubs (even with my low launch shafts)

anyways, with all said and my rabbitting done...
my round today.....
putted like a monkey with 35 putts, finished 3 over handicap in freezing crappy conditions, but very pleased with the driver hitting 9 fairways from the 11 tee shots i took with it- and yes the 2 i missed were right!
the ball flight was still either straight or my usual left to right
averaged abour 260yards today with driver which is about normal for me and only thing i didnt like was the sound
SWING DNA Speed [76] Tempo [2] ToeDown [3] KickAngle [4] Release [5]
Taylormade R11s 10.5° -Reg Aldila NV 65g
Mizuno MP650 Hybrid 19° -Reg Fujikura Orochi
Mizuno MP53 4-PW -Dynamic Gold SL R300
Mizuno MP11 50 / 58
Odyssey #7 WhiteIce 33inch
Bridgestone E6
Author Information

HCP: 13.6
Local club/country: Forest of Arden- Aylesford Course, England

Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:20 am

Posted by Wizzle

The sound OMG it's sooooooooo loud, I can't hit in indoor bays seriously it's embarrassing, and this is from a guy with a neon yellow bag!

i share TaylorMade want everyone to look round on every shot BANG,,, "look at me and my white driver!" If only I could find another driver I hit the same :/ the 650 was close btw
TaylorMade R11s 9° Project X-7C3 73g 6.0 Tip Stiff / Rescue 11 TP 21° Aldila RIP 85g
Nike VR Pro 15° Project X 6.0
Mizuno JPX800Pro 4i-PW/JPX 50° Project X 5.0
MizunoMP-T 11 54°/60° DG Wedge
Odyssey #7 White Hot XG
Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow
Author Information

HCP: 15
Local club/country: http://parkstonegolfclub.com/
Irons: JPX800 Pro 4-PW Project X 5.0 - MPT-11 50/54/60
Driver: Driver Nike Machspeed Black Fubuki 55g S / 3W Nike VR Pro Project x 6.0 / Taylor Made Rescue 11 18 deg RIP 85g

Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:52 am

Posted by Terry

Sounds all good
Fyr have a look at this site
http://golf-info-guide.com/golf-tips/pl ... ull-slice/
Author Information

HCP: 14
Local club/country: Qld, Aust.
Irons: Adams a12pros kbs Tour stiff 4-pw
Driver: R1 UST proforce axivore tour black 69

Go to page Previous  1, 2