MIZUNO

JPX 825 Fairway Wood Conundrum

Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:33 pm

Posted by Danz

I have an MP650 3 wood with the stock stiff Fujikura Red Eye shaft.  I love almost everything about this club; the looks, the ball flight and especially the huge distance from both tee and turf.  However, if I'm being honest I just don't strike the ball consistently enough to produce the desired effect and at address,when looking down at the club head, I'm losing my confidence and trust in the club.

The other day during an ad-hoc driver fit, which I'll save for another story as I came away with a JPX 825 9 degree in Fujikura Blue Eye stiff, I put up my 650 against an 825 (stock stiff Blue Eye) on the flightscope monitor.  The 825 was obviously way more forgiving and dispersion was way tighter than the 650 but on average it was 20 yards shorter due to higher flight and backspin. I should point out that the 650 always gives me excellent spin and launch angles when struck correctly!

The question is,  if I fit the Red Eye shaft or even the PX 6.0 shaft (which I've previously been fit for in another brands woods) into the 825, can I reclaim some of this distance and keep the tight dispersion?  I know the Red Eye is a good fit as it performs very well in my 650 (both fairway and hybrid).

I know a few of you will say find a proper fitting centre with an adequate fitting cart but to be honest the closest one is along way away and at present I just don't have the time available to commit to such an endeavor!

Comments, advice and experiences very welcome :)
SWING DNA Speed [88] Tempo [5] ToeDown [4] KickAngle [5] Release [5]
Author Information

HCP: 12
Local club/country: Telford
Irons: Mizuno MP-64, 5-PW, KBS Tour X SS1
Driver: Callaway Octane Tour Black, PX 6, 9.5 Deg.

Re: JPX 825 Fairway Wood Conundrum

Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:24 pm

Posted by MPX

We've had some very good feedback on the JPX825 / Red Eye combo.  Lot of our staff playing off single figures have ended up with that set up.

Not very technical - but these patterns are usually pretty revealing.
Author Information
Mizuno staff  

Local club/country: UK
Irons: MP-H5 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), MP-T5 wedges (52/56)
Driver: JPX EZ 10.5 driver, JPX EZ 3 & 5 wood.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:51 pm

Posted by Danz

Any specific feedback?

Looking at the limited specs for the Red Eye stiff on the Mizuno site, my own limited knowledge tells me that the extra 10g compared to the Blu Eye should bring spin down a touch, aid dispersion further, but reduce swing speed ever so slightly due to the extra weight. Are the kick points and tip stiffness the same on both Red and Blue Eye shafts?
SWING DNA Speed [88] Tempo [5] ToeDown [4] KickAngle [5] Release [5]
Author Information

Local club/country: Telford
Irons: Mizuno MP-64, 5-PW, KBS Tour X SS1
Driver: Callaway Octane Tour Black, PX 6, 9.5 Deg.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:23 pm

Posted by freddy

I ordered the Red Eye in my 825 driver. As far as "stock" shafts go, i'm not sure there are any better than the Red Eye. The Blue Eye wasn't a good fit at all for me but the Red was nice. I ordered mine with the stiff shaft and I wish I had ordered it with the X-stiff as I wasn't quite getting the numbers I wanted. That and I always want to experiment.

I currently have a Kuro Kage black installed but once I get to hit some balls outside and see the true ball flight, I may choose to go back to the Red Eye. The Red definitely plays alot stouter than the blue though, that is for sure.

Also, 10 grams of weight at those sort of weights is barely going to affect your swing speed. The difference is going to be so small that it should be the least of your worries when it comes to selecting a shaft.
JPX825 10.5 KK60
JPX835 3 wood PX 7B3
Anser 17* hybrid, VTS Silver
H4 3,4 S300, C-taper
CMB 5-PW, C-taper
T4 52/58 S400
Versa #7, SS3.0
Author Information

HCP: 2.5
Local club/country: Canada

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010