MIZUNO

Re: Does Mizuno offer steel shaft options for their woods?

Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:53 pm

Posted by BigPete

I have a mp 5 ti wood head I might try a steel shaft in....

http://www.gamolagolf.co.uk/acatalog/True_Temper_Dynamic_Gold_Shafts.html

JPX EZ driver
TEE XCG 3 wood
JPX EZ 5 wood
JPX 825 5 hybrid
JPX 825 pro 5-pw
MP R12 50 54 60 wedges
MP A 302 putter
Author Information

HCP: 12.0
Local club/country: http://www.claysgolf.co.uk/

Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:12 pm

Posted by The Highlander

This kind of got me thinking. Technically if you had the know how you could take a non adjustable club like the MP 650 and stick an adjustable ferrule into it to make it interchangeable with different shafts? I've never really been enticed by adjustable lofts and face angles but for the shafts for sure.
Speed[81] Tempo[4] ToeDown[2] KickAngle[4] Release[5]
Author Information

HCP: 9.6
Local club/country: www.torveangolfclub.co.uk www.nairngolfclub.co.uk
Irons: MP H4 #4 / MP 53 5-7 / MP 4 8-P / MP T4 50o, 54o & 58o Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG #7
Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5o C1 Fairway: Titleist 913f 15o C1 Hybrid: Titleist 913h 17o B1

Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:20 pm

Posted by T-Zoider

The Highlander wrote:

This kind of got me thinking. Technically if you had the know how you could take a non adjustable club like the MP 650 and stick an adjustable ferrule into it to make it interchangeable with different shafts? I've never really been enticed by adjustable lofts and face angles but for the shafts for sure.

You would have to be careful on that one. I know you can buy a quick fit ferrule from Golfsmith and some other component companies, but I dont know if you need a driver with a 0.350" hosel as opposed to the 0.335" usually on a Mizuno. Technically it should be possible but bear in mind that you would essentially be fixing the shaft to the head rather than shaft in the head so you would probably need to tip trim the shaft to compensate for the amount of tip that would normally be fixed in the head (bore on a Mizzy usually 1.5", I think) so that you weren't changing the flex.

Here's a link to a prospective product:

http://www.banggolf.com/prodgroup.asp?id=DSA

It does make the same caveats as I did and I'm sure they know more about the issue than me. I considered this when Callaway brought out the i-Mix system as I quite liked the idea of having 2 or 3 different shafts for the one driver, but I dont know if I trust a club where the shaft isnt fixed into the head physically!
Author Information

HCP: 3
Local club/country: Longniddry
Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid Pro 2-PW Rifle 6.0 MP-R Series 52° & 58° X100
Driver: Mizuno MP-630 Fast Track 8.5° Proforce Axiv Core Tour Red 69S MP Titanium 15° Grafalloy Blue S

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:18 pm

Posted by Bonobobananas

BigPete wrote:

Interesting thread on GWRX about steel / modern head shafted drivers (700 posts worth...) OP Robobti is a bit of a legend.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/705558-now-this-is-how-a-cleveland-classic-should-look/

Now that is an awesome thread! And only one post from you Pete?? Have you tried this yet? On reading this with my SS 95-105 I'm going to try an R300 tipped 1 1/2.
Driver: TaylorMade R11 9 degree with Accra Tour Z 65+ M4 shaft.
3wood: Ping G25 TFC 189H stiff shaft.
Hybrid: Mizuno MP650 17 degree.
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 30.5" 2 x 30g weights
Author Information

HCP: 8.9
Local club/country: Eaton Golf Club, Norwich UK
Irons: MP 59 4-PW. MP54 3iron. MPT Ni 50, 58wedges. All Nippon NS Pro 1150GH Stiff

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:00 pm

Posted by Bonobobananas

Just ordered the R11 adapter and R300 shaft, should be fun!
Author Information

Irons: MP 59 4-PW. MP54 3iron. MPT Ni 50, 58wedges. All Nippon NS Pro 1150GH Stiff

Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:51 am

Posted by Simon

Deemac wrote:

Can I ask an obvious question?

WHY a steel shaft?

Hmm, about 8-9 years ago, I tried a bunch of graphite shafts, since I used to build clubs as sort of like a hobby.  The distance was fine, but I wasn't able to control the accuracy as much as I'd like.  My misses were always a weak high fade and struggled hitting a draw.  My golf instructor at the time suggest I try building a steel shafted driver.  I did and that club has been in my bag ever since.  Its a Snake Eyes head, DG R300 shaft at 43.5", D3.5.  I hit that thing more flush that I'd ever had with any other driver.  I lost about at most 10 yds off the carry, but gained so much in accuracy and ability to control my shots, like a nice draw when I wanted to which in roll makes up for the distance lost in carry. 

I average about 260-270 carry, nothing crazy but still, even if going to steel made my driver carry to say 245, I'll still choose steel because of the accuracy it gives me. 

I'm not saying steel shafts are more accurate than graphite shafts, but for me, I think its the overall weight of the club and shorter length with steel that keeps my swing more consistent. The weight of it when loading the shaft also keeps me from overswinging or opening my hips too early.  It slows it down just enough for me to torque my hips and uncork a little bit later.

But now that head is starting to show fatique, (the face isn't as hot anymore) with some minor flat spots showing on the face, I dread having to retire that thing.   
Author Information

HCP: 8.5
Local club/country: Haggin Oaks

Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:37 pm

Posted by Deemac

Interesting!

For me - it's the opposite, I need to get my legs moving quickly and get those hips cleared or I come over the top.  When I can get my legs and hips firing quickly, I can get right inside the swing and hit a draw...
It is a paradoxical but profoundly true and important principle of life that the most likely way to reach a goal is to be aiming not at that goal itself but at some more ambitious goal beyond it. - Arnold Toynbee
Author Information

HCP: 5.1
Local club/country: East Kilbride http://www.ekgolfclub.com/
Irons: MP 69's
Driver: Mizuno MP 650 PX 6.0

Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:18 pm

Posted by Simon

Bonobobananas wrote:

BigPete wrote:

Interesting thread on GWRX about steel / modern head shafted drivers (700 posts worth...) OP Robobti is a bit of a legend.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/705558-now-this-is-how-a-cleveland-classic-should-look/

Now that is an awesome thread! And only one post from you Pete?? Have you tried this yet? On reading this with my SS 95-105 I'm going to try an R300 tipped 1 1/2.

Man, I'd like to try putting together something like that.  But maybe with the Classic XL head instead.  Biggest unknown is if I'll be able to get a D3 sw since I have no idea what the head weight is.    

My ss is also in the 105 range, but no tipping on my DG R300. With 1.5" tip, that's gonna be one low hitting tip stiff driver.     
Author Information

HCP: 8.5
Local club/country: Haggin Oaks

Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:21 pm

Posted by BigPete

Someone posted tipping suggestions on that WRX thread. Standard for driver is 1 1/4" inches. (more for woods)

JPX EZ driver
TEE XCG 3 wood
JPX EZ 5 wood
JPX 825 5 hybrid
JPX 825 pro 5-pw
MP R12 50 54 60 wedges
MP A 302 putter
Author Information

HCP: 12.0
Local club/country: http://www.claysgolf.co.uk/

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:12 pm

Posted by Bonobobananas

BigPete wrote:

Someone posted tipping suggestions on that WRX thread. Standard for driver is 1 1/4" inches. (more for woods)

Yeah I saw that Pete, went through the whole thread (I am that sad). DrumDude is indeed a legend, whilst Robo is just... a nutbag (in a good way)

I was looking at tipping 1 1/4 plus a tiny bit as a regular vs stiff, overall length around 43.5. Shouldn't be too much of a shock for me as I had my current driver shaft fitted at 44" (anything longer than that IMHO is just gimmicky for the odd long drive). It's a fun experiment that's not too costly so I'll report back. 

I'd agree with Dee, my main bad shot is getting too 'armsy' and not clearing legs/hips quick enough, a bad one coming over the top so this may work for me, especially under pressure.
Author Information

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010