MIZUNO

Re: What's your best Gross Score off Comp Tees?

Sun May 19, 2013 3:27 pm

Posted by Villiers1

PaulBoy wrote:

Villiers1 wrote:

PaulBoy wrote:

My home course is Par 69 SSS 70 and my best score off Competition Tees (& in a comp) is 70 - I was playing off 6hcp having been cut from 7hcp the previous week! - So in two weeks I came down from 7hcp to 5hcp (retirement rocks!)
Wish I could play like that all the time though in the comp my nett 64 was beaten into 2nd by a nett 61 (feck!)
I recently shot 67 gross including a hole in one but that was off girlie yellow tees & not in a comp!
Hoping to recover from a recurring back injury & get back to full fitness but looks like that wont happen until some sort of divine intevention or, more likely, surgery :(
Cheers
Paul

That really is a fantastic score Paul. I would be absolutely gutted if I shot -1 gross and didn't win the competition. You were Robbed mate ;)

Thanks for the kind words, it was gutting but it happens on regular basis at our club (iirc the 61 was a gross 79 by someone off 18?) - Golf has a funny way of levelling things out & last year I won one of our main cups with 37pts! - That score would normally not get in top 10 but it was a tough day with strong wind & I shot 21pts on back nine to win on countback ...

Sweet revenge Paul. Also great that it was a Board Competition. I hate winning Monthly Medals ;) Someone once told me that you always have the best chance of winning on a really tough day weatherwise, as 75% of the field will either not fancy it, can't play in wind or rain, lose enthusiasm half way round or NR
"He used to be fairly indecisive, but now he's not so sure"

"5-5-5-6-4-7. It's like the dialling code for Tierria del Fuego"

Peter Alliss

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be"

Pink Floyd
Author Information

HCP: 10
Local club/country: Pay & Play
Irons: JPX825 6-PW
Driver: Titleist 913D2 9.5, JPX EZ15 Fairway, Fli-Hi 3,4 & 5,JPX 50 & 56,MPT101 Putter

Sun May 19, 2013 4:25 pm

Posted by freddy

Anyone that shoots under par in a competition round has really played a great round. Being able to put up a low number in a comp round when something is on the line is alot different than playing a casual round with friends.
JPX825 10.5 KK60
JPX835 3 wood PX 7B3
Anser 17* hybrid, VTS Silver
H4 3,4 S300, C-taper
CMB 5-PW, C-taper
T4 52/58 S400
Versa #7, SS3.0
Author Information

HCP: 2.5
Local club/country: Canada

Sun May 19, 2013 6:13 pm

Posted by Villiers1

freddy wrote:

Anyone that shoots under par in a competition round has really played a great round. Being able to put up a low number in a comp round when something is on the line is alot different than playing a casual round with friends.

Totally agree Freddy. More of a state of mind thing with a card in your hand. I think golf is pretty unique under these conditions as you have to stay relaxed yet motivated without letting the adrelain take over and stay in the moment.
Not easy. I think we could all do with a resident Golf Club shrink ;)

Peter Alliss

Pink Floyd
Author Information

Driver: Titleist 913D2 9.5, JPX EZ15 Fairway, Fli-Hi 3,4 & 5,JPX 50 & 56,MPT101 Putter

Sun May 19, 2013 9:08 pm

Posted by bigslice

70 at par 66 at my away course and 82 at par 71 at my home course. funnily enough was talking about these scores while playing this morning. and I want to break 70 away and break 80 home this seasons target
Author Information

HCP: 12
Local club/country: The Irvine Golf Club Ayrshire Scotland
Irons: mx200
Driver: jpx 800

Mon May 20, 2013 12:23 am

Posted by BloodSweatNPars

Villiers1 wrote:

BloodSweatNPars wrote:

2 years ago I shot 71 (-1) against the reigning course record holder to beat him in a club matchplay. Had six birdies that day including back to backers on 5&6 and 14&15.  Couple of bad swings caused me from getting really low. 

Definantly my most memorable 71. 

That's a great score, even if it was matchplay. I've also gone ridiculous low in matches. I just find it easier to go really low inmatchplay as I'm not consciously thinking about the score. So much easier than having a card in my hand. I once also had six birdies in a match and still lost. I like the look of your home course. Very nice

Yea 71, and beating that guy (6&5 mind you) was a def milestone. Year before that I shot 75 (+3) in the final round of the club championship. Was 6 shots down with 7 holes to go and finished those at -3, including a birdie on the 18th (#1 handicap) to beat the leader. Stood on 18 tee box knowing I needed birdie to win!

Also shot 73 at Pinehurst #8 in a tourney. Not my all time lowest score but it was a tourney, it was the first time I played the course, and the name of the course did have Pinehurst in it ;) 
DNA ~92*5*4*5*5
Author Information

HCP: 2.8
Local club/country: .
Irons: MP 69 4 - PW ~ KBS Tour C Taper 120S
Driver: MP650/ MP630 Strong 3

Mon May 20, 2013 1:11 am

Posted by freddy

BloodSweatNPars wrote:

Villiers1 wrote:

BloodSweatNPars wrote:

2 years ago I shot 71 (-1) against the reigning course record holder to beat him in a club matchplay. Had six birdies that day including back to backers on 5&6 and 14&15.  Couple of bad swings caused me from getting really low. 

That's a great score, even if it was matchplay. I've also gone ridiculous low in matches. I just find it easier to go really low inmatchplay as I'm not consciously thinking about the score. So much easier than having a card in my hand. I once also had six birdies in a match and still lost. I like the look of your home course. Very nice

Yea 71, and beating that guy (6&5 mind you) was a def milestone. Year before that I shot 75 (+3) in the final round of the club championship. Was 6 shots down with 7 holes to go and finished those at -3, including a birdie on the 18th (#1 handicap) to beat the leader. Stood on 18 tee box knowing I needed birdie to win!

Also shot 73 at Pinehurst #8 in a tourney. Not my all time lowest score but it was a tourney, it was the first time I played the course, and the name of the course did have Pinehurst in it ;) 

haha, yup, i'd take that score on any of the Pinehurst courses.
JPX825 10.5 KK60
JPX835 3 wood PX 7B3
Anser 17* hybrid, VTS Silver
H4 3,4 S300, C-taper
CMB 5-PW, C-taper
T4 52/58 S400
Versa #7, SS3.0
Author Information

HCP: 2.5
Local club/country: Canada

Mon May 20, 2013 6:07 am

Posted by Naths

Just got back from Belek in Turkey, shot a gross 73 around the Pasha,Antalya Golf Club, thats 1 over!!!, best round of golf i'v ever played, ok, not the hardest golf course in the world, but still a challenge,10 pars, 4 birdies, same thing a couple of bad club choices cost me from even going under par, e.g..took a wedge on a 110yd approach into a bit of wind, and came up short and duffed the chip!!!, so annoying, was thinking on that shot 9 iron or wedge, tut...never mind, also a couple of bad bounces, bounced left instead of right...AGH!!!... And the day before i was 9 over on the Sultan, just 2 great rounds for me, especially when i spoke to a chap off 4 in the evening and he'd lost 10 balls on the sultan, i came back with the same ball and even the same tee!!!...lol

Taylor Made SLDR 12
Taylor made SLDR S 3HL fairway
Mizuno EZ 3 hybrid
Mizuno JPX Fli Hi 4
Mizuno EZ 5-AW
Taylor Made TP wedges 56, 60
TM Spider Blade
Sun Mountain Sync shadow/black/red
Clicgear 8.0
Author Information

HCP: 9.8
Local club/country: North Cornwall
Irons: Mizuno EZ 5-AW, Mizuno JPX Fli Hi 4, Taylor made TP wedges 56, 60
Driver: TM SLDR 12, SLDR S 3HL, EZ 3-Hybrid, TM Spider Blade 2

Wed May 22, 2013 5:44 am

Posted by MX Man

76 (+6) which also won me a nice trophy and got my name on an honours board. About 15 years ago though.
In the bag:
JPX 800 driver
JPX 800 5w
Callaway 3&7 woods
MX Fli-Hi 4h
MX25 irons 5-pw
Tour Style 52 & 56 Wedges
Line 90 V02 putter
Author Information

HCP: 12
Local club/country: SE England
Irons: MX25
Driver: Mizuno JPX 800

Thu May 23, 2013 11:03 pm

Posted by simonb3d

Shot 66 (-5) in a four ball off back tees at Goring & Streatley in Berkshire when I was off 4 , made 6 birdies on back 9. Most satisfying medal by far was a 72 in howling wind and ***** rain to get lowest gross in monthly medal. All seems rather long time ago now :shock:
MP650 9.5 Driver
MP 64 Irons
MP-T4 52 wedge
MP-T4 58 wedge
PING Zing 2 Putter
Author Information

HCP: 9
Local club/country: The Srings Golf Club, Oxfordshire
Irons: Mizuno MP64 3-W, T4 52, 58, Project X6
Driver: Mizuno MP650 9.5 Deg 65g **** Stiff Shaft

Fri May 24, 2013 8:34 am

Posted by Villiers1

BloodSweatNPars wrote:

Villiers1 wrote:

BloodSweatNPars wrote:

That Pinehurst Resort really is something else. Just had a look at the website. Eight course, tennis courts, hotel and spa. Fantastic set-up. How much land do they have, the place must be massive.

Peter Alliss

Pink Floyd
Author Information

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010