MIZUNO

KBS C-Taper S+ or KBS Tour X soft stepped?

Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:54 am

Posted by LiveFree7

Hello!  Any body had an opportunity to hit these 2 shafts and have comparisons? 

Recently went thru the DNA process (87ss 6.2.6.4 and was amazed that one of the recommendations was KBS Tour X soft-stepped. Initial thought was there is no way I can hit an X shaft.  So I've been hitting the PX 6.0 shaft which felt good, decent dispersion, backspin was 6800rpm. Which is a little bit high, I think.

So today at the range (outside) I tried the KBS Tour X (not soft stepped) and WOW the dispersion was laser straight. For me that is impressive. :)  I felt like there was some loss of distance. . .how much I'm not sure. . pin was at 178 and sometimes I was just short, other times it looked to be 10-15 yards.  Anyhow, probably too stiff for me, which is where the softstepping comes in. . .or the C-Taper S+ which has the same FCM as the KBS Tour X soft stepped.

Unfortunately, these options are not available at the fitting carts. . . plus I'm 1/4" over which complicates a fitting as well.  Standard feels just a tad short, choking up on a 1/2" over changes the swing weight.  

So. . . anybody have any recommendations?  Love the look of the C-Tapers, but the only one available is a standard stiff.

Wouldn't it be great if Mizuno had the option for my local club to order a shaft in the desired configuration as a loaner. . . hint hint ;)

Thanks in advance!

PS - planning on purchasing the MP-64's for these shafts :)
Author Information

HCP: 8.4
Local club/country: USA

Re: KBS C-Taper S+ or KBS Tour X soft stepped?

Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:33 am

Posted by MPB

For a SS of 87 and to be recommended a set of soft-stepped Tour X's, you must have an extremely violent transition :D

As a general rule, play the most flexible shaft that you can.

Try hard-stepping a set of Tour Stiffs..? You'll get some distance back with the increased flexibility (but its still a stiff shaft remember) and retain almost all of the accuracy that the X gives you.

Food for thought :up:
Author Information

HCP: 0.4
Local club/country: Jumeriah Golf Estates, Dubai & Burhill, Surrey.
Irons: MP63, 3-PW, DG s300. Wedges 52, 56 & 58 T4's . Scotty Cameron Monterey 34", California series.
Driver: Titleist 910 D3, 8.5, GD DI 6x, Titleist 910F, 15 degree, GD DI 7x.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:24 pm

Posted by Danz

My DNA stats from the other month were 88, 5,4,5,4 (or 4,5,4,5 can't quite remember) and I was also recommended PX 6.0, DG X100 Soft Stepped once or KBS Extra Stiff Soft Stepped once.  I'd say my transition was smooth to moderate.  Glitch in the software maybe?????

Not much change in my DNA stats from 2 years ago (see below) but I'd say a big change in shaft selection.
SWING DNA Speed [88] Tempo [5] ToeDown [4] KickAngle [5] Release [5]
Author Information

HCP: 12
Local club/country: Marham
Irons: Mizuno MP-64, 5-PW, KBS Tour X
Driver: Nike VR_S - Graphite Design Tour AD G60

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:49 pm

Posted by LiveFree7

Thanks for the responses. . . I haven't been golfing as much over the past few years, went from 80 rounds a year to about 15. . .which might explain the increased tempo and transition speed.  Plus getting older means I need to work on my flexibility which should relate to a smoother tempo as well.

I absolutely am sold on the DNA system, it has explained how my tempo/transition/ release affects my lack of accuracy with shafts selected strictly on swing speed.  Over the past week, I've visited a few shops where I tested a few different combinations.  Surprisingly, the best combo was the Mizuno MP-64 with PX 6.5, 1/2" over, swing weighted at D5.  I never would have thought to swing an X-flex, but with the heavier swingweight, I know where the head is always, and I swing thru the ball, instead of just swinging to it.  

Anybody have any idea how increasing the swing weight from D2 to D5 affects the flex of the shaft?  It felt pretty good to me. . .and I've never hit 15 balls in a row that were straight and within 5 yds of each other (172-176)
Author Information

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:02 pm

Posted by RobB2

When i hit the PX 6.5 as opposed to my PX6.0 my dispersion was unbelievable.Only lost 3 yds too!!!
Author Information

HCP: 8.3
Local club/country: http://www.marketdraytongolfclub.co.uk
Irons: MP53 4-PW PX 6.0 ,MPT10 50,55, Callaway Mack Daddy 2,60 deg( U grind),TM T3 TP 13 deg Matrix HD 6 Stiff,Mizuno JPX 800 Hybrid 19 deg Fubuki Stiff.Yes "Ann" putter 34" 4"
Driver: Callaway Razr Fit Extreme,10.5,Fujikura Rombax 6X07 stiff

Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:55 am

Posted by LiveFree7

RobB2 писал(а):Gladly give up 3 yards to hit it down the middle!  :up: Hey, just curious. . .what are your DNA numbers?  It was interesting that I went to a different shop and hit the X100 shaft at 1/2 inch over (should be D5 swingweight) still had pretty good dispersion, slightly shorter (168-172) but was somewhat of  a confirmation of my "theory" that a stiffer shaft with heavier swingweight might work well for me.

Now the problem is. . . my woods and hybrids are all stiff shafts:shock:  and my dispersion is horrible.  Currently gaming a Callaway RazrFit 8.5 with Diamana Ahina 60 in stiff. . . with a high push or a dead pull. . .occasionally if I time it right it's a   slight draw.  Considering going to Ahina 70 or 80 in Xstiff.  Any recommendations?
Author Information

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010