MIZUNO

Re: Fairway Wood Opinions....

Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:33 am

Posted by Slothman

Thanks guys.

Bigpete...yes I agree, they are 3 great brands when it comes to Equipment, but its limitation of the demo equipment that is the issue, and not being able to compare to others is a bit of a let down...ah well, thats what you get for living in a country town with only ONE pro shop....but hey, its one of the best golf course in Australia...so not really going to argue too much :)

Thanks guys, some things I had not considered there. The JPX wood option is a thought that never crossed my mind.

I had time to swing past the club this morning to make sure my name is down for Saturday and had a quick look at the demo equipment.

Ping G25 - 3 Wood Regular Shaft (plenty of left handed options....)
Titleist 913F - 3 Wood Blue Diamana Reg
Titleist 913FD - 3 Wood Blue Diamana Stiff (I am sure I can swap shafts between the F and FD)
Titleist 913F - 3 Wood Black Diamana Stiff
Mizuno MP650 - 3 Wood Stiff....I am SURE I saw that Saturday...couldn't find it so it might be on loan.
Mizuno JPX - 3 Wood Regular
Mizuno JPX - 5 Wood Stiff :)

So thats all I get to hit unless I get a chance to travel to Perth...only go 4 times a year so not holding my breath.

I did get a chance to have a look at the shapes etc of all the new non demo styles.

Ping look "meatier" and more solid, that matt black is just awesome.
Titleist looked just sleek. Familiar look to the driver...did like the look ...I hadn't really taken much notice before. The FD I doubt I will use. I don't use the 3 Wood off the tees much, and to be honest, a normal 3 wood without a tee will suffice when required.
JPX...ok this was a surprise. I didn't even consider that as the Driver "rocks back" on its sole and that just turned me off them...however....the 3 wood sat nice, and did look purrty.

So over the next few weeks I might head down after my round or morning on Sunday and hit a few down the range side by side to compare...its going to be hard to get a good comparison with that range...but we will see what we can do.

The mention of adjustibility earlier in the thread was interesting. I have the Titelist driver but no intention of changing it until the pro suggest to due to swing changes etc. The option to change loft to fit the distance gaps does have a certain appeal. Will see how I feel hitting it.
Author Information

HCP: 9.6
Local club/country: Albany, Australia http://www.albanygolfclub.com.au/
Irons: Mizuno H4 4-PW, Mizuno MP R12 52/7, 58/10
Driver: Titleist 913 D2 with Stiff Diamana S+ Blue 62 , Mizuno JPX EZ 3 Wood Stiff, Mizuno JPX EZ 5 Wood Stiff, Calloway Diablo 3H Reg

Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:01 am

Posted by Slothman

Oh dang...

Just quickly did my tax at work....looks like I am due some nice and tasty return....

$120 voucher at the pro shop....

MM....$200 per JPX, nearly double for Ping and Titleist.....might have to get serious about testing....LOL

I must say, after actually looking at the JPX, keen to give that a test side by side with the G25 and Titleist :)
Author Information

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 with Stiff Diamana S+ Blue 62 , Mizuno JPX EZ 3 Wood Stiff, Mizuno JPX EZ 5 Wood Stiff, Calloway Diablo 3H Reg

Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:14 am

Posted by Simon

I'll 2nd or 3rd the guys that threw out the JPX 825 to try.  Definitely worth a hit.  The stock shafts on them are not bad, pretty smooth but on the softer side, depending on what your preferences are.

Also give the JPX 825 hybrids a try.  I replaced my 3w and 5w/ Hybrid with the 16 and 19 degree recently and I am pretty happy with them.  Especially the 16*.  I did not expect how easy it was to hit it high with that one and they are super forgiving.  Even toe and thin hits still get out there well.  With my old 3w, even a hair thin and it would be a line drive.  With the JPX, thin shots look like mid traj flight with plenty of punch.  They go ridiculously straight.  I can work a slight fade on it pretty good but does need a bit more exaggeration to cut it.  A draw, I can do, but can't control so well. Thin line between a nice draw and a hook for me alteast. 

Give them a try, either the fw or hybrid.  
Author Information

HCP: 8.5
Local club/country: Haggin Oaks

Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:31 am

Posted by Robbo016

I always thought the Titleist fairway woods were the benchmark - certainly are for the drivers - however, I have a MP650 15deg 3 wood in my bag and it's an absolute rocket.... probably one of the best (if not the best) fairway wood I have hit...

It's a pity the driver wasn't quite as good...
DNA 89 3-3-3-5
Author Information

HCP: 2.1
Local club/country: Puckrup Hall
Irons: MP64's 3-PW, MP-T4 Wedges 50, 54 & 58 Nike Method 30 putter 3-3-3-5
Driver: Titliest D3 10.5 DI-6 shaft

Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:56 am

Posted by motohunter4

I love my 3 and 5 woods. I haven't given up on the driver yet, but I seem to be way more consistant with the ol' trusty MP-600
'59 Top Flite 1-SW
'64 Hogan PTIII's 3-Equalizer
'65 MacGregor MT1 2-11 iron
'78 Dunlop Aussie Blades 2-PW
'83 MacGregor Colokrom 2-SW
'84 MS-3 4-PW
'89 TP-9 3-SW
'92 MP-11 2-SW
'93 MP-29 1-SW
'97 T-Zoid Pro 3-PW
'04 Hogan Apex 2-Equalizer
'12 MP-69 3-PW
Author Information

HCP: 9
Local club/country: www.wilmingtonmuni.com
Irons: FLI-HI 2, MP-69 3-PW, MP-T10 52,56 DGS300 shafts
Driver: MP-650 8.5 + 3 wood Stiff stock Orochi

Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:01 am

Posted by Slothman

Ok...so got a chance to hit a few side by side.

Mizuno JPX 825 3 wood with Stiff Shaft
Ping G25 4 wood with Stiff Shaft
Titelist 913FD with Stiff shaft.

I know the 913FD is more a driving fairway but the shaft is what I wanted to try.

Was really hoping to like the JPX...mainly because of price.

I hit my Calloway Diablo 3 Wood as a comparison. Found a rythm than got to it.

Titelist 913FD was not as hard to hit off the turf as I imagined. It was definitely the hardest of the 3. But it flew well, good flight, long and felt amazing off the club face. Sort of compressed at impact. Could draw and fade at will.

Ping G25, ok it was the 4 wood so was a slightly higher ball flight than I wanted but distance was roughly the same as the rest. Pretty straight and took a nasty *** shot to make it go right. Felt awesome off the face. I would struggle to shape this club as I tried several times but hey, if I know its going straight I can allow for the wind. To be honest, I kept coming back to this one.

Mizuno JPX....oh how I wanted to like this club. More economics than anything. It looked good. I gave the demo a clean to see the line up marks. MM...did look purty. Shaft felt good.....so I gave it a swing.....ok maybe that was just me. Try again. Nope same result and feeling. Hit a few irons, come back to it. This was not forgiving. If I caught it and hit it well....yeh it flew nice, had good distance but felt like I was hitting rocks off corrugated iron. ****** this one and it barely went the same distance as my 4 iron.

So I kept rotating through them on feel and kept coming back to the Ping and Titleist.

I think what I might do is give it a week or two and get the pro to change the shaft from the Titelist 913FD to the demo of the 913F than hit that side by side with the G25 (again hoping I can hit a 3 wood).

I havn't given up on the JPX but I would say the Titleist is slightly above the G25 just on feel alone.
Author Information

Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:53 am

Posted by hursty

Have you tried the Ahina shafts in the Titleists? I have it in both my Driver & 3 Wood, find them a little bit less whippy than the other Diamana Titleist shafts.
Titleist 910 D2 10.5° - Ahina 72 S
Titleist 910F 15° 3W - Ahina 82 S
Mizuno JPX Fli Hi 3 & 4 - Dynalite Gold XP S300
Mizuno MP 53 5i-PW - Dynalite Gold XP S300
Mizuno MPR-12 50 / 54 / 58 - PX 5.5
Odyssey #7 CS - 33", Superstroke 3.0 Grip
Author Information

HCP: 8.1
Local club/country: The Shropshire
Irons: MP-53 5-PW Dynalite XP S300 1 deg Flat, MPR-12 50, 54 & 58 wedges
Driver: Titleist 910 D2 Diamana Ahina 72 Stiff, Titleist 910F 15 Deg 3W Diamana Ahina 82 Stiff, JPX Fli Hi 3 & 4 Dynalite XP S300, Odyssey #7CS Putter

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010