MIZUNO

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Re: Mizuno Aerolite Micro and using less clubs

Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:15 am

Posted by PaulBoy

GraemeJones wrote:

Smigin wrote:

I wonder Graeme if your crutch is knowing you need to have all the clubs at your disposal rather than risk not achieving the normal score for a hole. The last thing I intend is this to be rude or off hand rather I speak from experience when I felt little to be gained for playing a few holes in a way that I wouldn't do normally. But I then parked the score and used it to better understand what I could achieve with each club or more often than not what I couldn't and shouldn't even try... That helped when I played in the comps.

it depends on what you want to use the time for

No you are not being rude or off hand 

All I'm saying is if you can play with clubs missing why do you revert back to a full bag........................Hey hold on you could save a few quid on clubs if you don't need them all :D

The game is hard enough as it is without handicapping myself even more with not having the right club in my bag 

The good thing about this forum is everyone has different opinions and that way it stays interesting

I know what you are saying & agree to a point - In the 'Winter Bag' thread I mentioned that I like playing with a light bag & about 7 clubs, but this is only when I am prevented from using my trolley in extreme winter conditions - I would rather have my whole set with me but can't carry a full set due to a back injury - It surprises me how well you can score with only half your clubs - When you have to play a knock-down 7 iron instead of a full 8 iron I think you concentrate harder than when you just pull the 'right' club
To take this to the extreme level, in my last club we used to have a '3x clubs & a putter' comp & it would always be won with better than par
Like you say everyone is entitled to their own opinion ... Paul
Adams CMB 4-PW C Taper 120s
Adams Pro 20 hybrid C Taper 120s
Mizuno MPT-4 50* 54* 60*
Mizuno MP650 Orochi 60s
Mizuno MP650 Matrix X-Con 8M2x
Odyssey Black Series #2 putter
Author Information

HCP: 4.8
Local club/country: Guildford GC & New Forest GC
Irons: Adams CMB 4-PW C Taper 120s ~ MPT-4 Black Raw 50* 54* 60*
Driver: Mizuno MP-650 Fujikura Orochi 60s

Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:49 am

Posted by Smigin

PaulBoy wrote:

GraemeJones wrote:

Smigin wrote:

I wonder Graeme if your crutch is knowing you need to have all the clubs at your disposal rather than risk not achieving the normal score for a hole. The last thing I intend is this to be rude or off hand rather I speak from experience when I felt little to be gained for playing a few holes in a way that I wouldn't do normally. But I then parked the score and used it to better understand what I could achieve with each club or more often than not what I couldn't and shouldn't even try... That helped when I played in the comps.

it depends on what you want to use the time for

No you are not being rude or off hand 

All I'm saying is if you can play with clubs missing why do you revert back to a full bag........................Hey hold on you could save a few quid on clubs if you don't need them all :D

The game is hard enough as it is without handicapping myself even more with not having the right club in my bag 

The good thing about this forum is everyone has different opinions and that way it stays interesting

I know what you are saying & agree to a point - In the 'Winter Bag' thread I mentioned that I like playing with a light bag & about 7 clubs, but this is only when I am prevented from using my trolley in extreme winter conditions - I would rather have my whole set with me but can't carry a full set due to a back injury - It surprises me how well you can score with only half your clubs - When you have to play a knock-down 7 iron instead of a full 8 iron I think you concentrate harder than when you just pull the 'right' club
To take this to the extreme level, in my last club we used to have a '3x clubs & a putter' comp & it would always be won with better than par
Like you say everyone is entitled to their own opinion ... Paul

We have that 3+p comp only it happend between Christmas and New year and involves a certain amount of consumption "in the spirit of the season" for 3 putting or missed fairway, but in truth it contributes little to the improvement of the game and no one cares about the score at the end...
Author Information

HCP: 15
Local club/country: The Sand Moor GC; Leeds UK
Irons: MX-300 R300 / 52* & 58* MP-R series wedges (or Vega 52/54/60 for summer)
Driver: Ping G20; 10.5; S

Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:41 am

Posted by GraemeJones

"It surprises me how well you can score with only half your clubs"

Better than a full set ???

If yes then you will save hundreds on new clubs :lol: 
Graeme 'My putting is Average at the moment' Jones
Author Information

HCP: CONGU 4.5
Local club/country: http://www.padeswoodgolfclub.com
Irons: JPX 800 PRO 5-PW, PX 5.0 shafts 1/4 inch longer than Standard. MP-R12 52 degree, MP-R12 58 degree, Taylor Made Ghost Spider S Putter
Driver: JPX 800 Driver 10.5* JPX 825 3Wood FLI HI 18* 24*

Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:13 pm

Posted by HowieT

Just my 2c worth - we dont play golf in the same conditions all the time (ie wind), sometimes we are playing under trees and sometimes we are 'inbetween' clubs or playing knock down shots. We need to be shot-makers not just automatons.

Playing a half set of clubs teaches you to be a shot maker, which arguably makes golf more fun. look at several ballasteros. Learnt on 3 clubs and was one of the best shot-makers ever.

If you never practice these shots you won't be able to play them when you need to. Give it a go.
Swing DNA 93 5,4,4,5
Author Information

HCP: 5
Local club/country: United Kingdom
Irons: MP-H4 2 iron; MP-4 4-PW; MP-T4 50*; 54*; 60*/5; All with Px 6.5 shafts
Driver: Wannabe JPX-EZ player

Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:25 pm

Posted by GraemeJones

HowieT wrote:

Just my 2c worth - we dont play golf in the same conditions all the time (ie wind), sometimes we are playing under trees and sometimes we are 'inbetween' clubs or playing knock down shots. We need to be shot-makers not just automatons.

Playing a half set of clubs teaches you to be a shot maker, which arguably makes golf more fun. look at several ballasteros. Learnt on 3 clubs and was one of the best shot-makers ever.

If you never practice these shots you won't be able to play them when you need to. Give it a go.

So your under a tree and you need a knock down 6 iron shot but you left it at home so in that case it would be better to practice with a full bag :D

If you was going on a job you needed all your spanners for you wouldn't leave half of them at home in case you needed a certain size 

Stop making the game harder than what it is .................
Graeme 'My putting is Average at the moment' Jones
Author Information

HCP: CONGU 4.5
Local club/country: http://www.padeswoodgolfclub.com
Irons: JPX 800 PRO 5-PW, PX 5.0 shafts 1/4 inch longer than Standard. MP-R12 52 degree, MP-R12 58 degree, Taylor Made Ghost Spider S Putter
Driver: JPX 800 Driver 10.5* JPX 825 3Wood FLI HI 18* 24*

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010