MIZUNO

Swing weight spec

Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:46 am

Posted by mortimer

Hi, I am new in this forum so may be this topic has already been raised elsewhere but if some one can help it would be appreciated.
I have discovered through the years that my ideal swing weight is around D4. I want to replace my MP 60s with a new MP H4-MP64 combo. The swing weight spec for both on the Mizuno site states D1-D3. My questions are:
- if you do not specify any swing weight in your order, what swing weight are the new irons expected to be?
- can a different swing weight outside that range be ordered, e.g. D4?

Finally I am a little concern about tolerances and quality issues as I have read quite a few topics about that.
In fact, I recently measured my MP 60s, and there are not two clubs in the set with the same SW. They all range from C9 to D2. I ordered them custom fitted a few  years ago and I do not know where they came from since there is not any Mizuno facility in Spain. 
This time I will order them directly from the UK.
Thanks
Author Information

HCP: 2.4
Local club/country: Spain
Irons: MP 64 4-PW KBS Tour
Driver: Cobra AMP CELL PRO Tour AD DI 6

Re: Swing weight spec

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:32 pm

Posted by Robbo016

Hi, they should be able to get D4 as they have light, standard and heavy heads. 
Def good idea to check with retailer first, if ordering from UK try John @ Snainton Golf he's very good and you get forum discount, not much but 7.5%. 
Good luck and welcome to the forum. 
DNA 89 3-3-3-5
Author Information

HCP: 2.1
Local club/country: Puckrup Hall
Irons: MP64's 3-PW, MP-T4 Wedges 50, 54 & 58 Nike Method 30 putter 3-3-3-5
Driver: Titliest D3 10.5 DI-6 shaft

Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:59 am

Posted by mortimer

Thank you for your welcome and your help. This is a very interesting forum in general but mainly for Mizuno fans of course.
I will contact John for sure although after reading some other posts here and in some other forums as well I doubt wether to go ahead and purchase the mp 64s now or wait a bit untill the new models (mp4, mp54) become available and a likely price drop on the current models is offered. Also I have been fitted for the C tapers which I've read will be available in Europe from September. What do you think? 
Author Information

Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:37 am

Posted by swingslow

Wait til Sep, especially as you have been fitted into the C tapers.The right shaft is more important than the right head.
MX 700 9.5 Graphalloy Blue R shaft, Callaway Squareway 15, Cobra 23, S shafts
Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 KBS Tour S shafts, Vokey 50, 54, 58, Nike Ignite 4 putter
Author Information

HCP: 6
Local club/country: Congleton

Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:08 am

Posted by mortimer

Thanks. I agree the right shaft is essential
Author Information

Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:13 pm

Posted by Robbo016

swingslow wrote:

Wait til Sep, especially as you have been fitted into the C tapers.The right shaft is more important than the right head.

+1 on this. 
DNA 89 3-3-3-5
Author Information

HCP: 2.1
Local club/country: Puckrup Hall
Irons: MP64's 3-PW, MP-T4 Wedges 50, 54 & 58 Nike Method 30 putter 3-3-3-5
Driver: Titliest D3 10.5 DI-6 shaft

Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:54 pm

Posted by muff1nking

Make sure you specify swing weight in your order because I've had problems with my custom order.  I recently ordered mp-64 with the matrix program hd 130 graphite shaft.  Swing weight was all over the place for me.  Starting with a c9 in the pw and d1 in the 7 iron and c9.5 in the 3 iron.  So there was no progression in swing weight.. just all over the place.  I've already contacted mizuno about it and they said there's nothing they can do.  I'm not sure what swing weight you would like, but I think c9 is a bit unacceptable for most people.  I was very disappointed with the craftsmanship on top of the swing weight error (shafts unaligned, grips unaligned, etc.).  

Anyways, my advice for you is to call mizuno directly and ask if they can make it a certain swing weight to the shaft you want. Otherwise... good luck trying to get them fixed.  Their turn-around time takes forever. It's been nearly 3 weeks since I sent my clubs in (and all they did was realign the grips...swingweight and everything else was unfixable)
Author Information

HCP: 2
Local club/country: Arcadia Golf
Irons: Mizuno MP-64 3-PW, Matrix Program HD 130 Stiff
Driver: Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 9, Kai'li X-Stiff

Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:09 am

Posted by mortimer

muff1nking wrote:

Make sure you specify swing weight in your order because I've had problems with my custom order.  I recently ordered mp-64 with the matrix program hd 130 graphite shaft.  Swing weight was all over the place for me.  Starting with a c9 in the pw and d1 in the 7 iron and c9.5 in the 3 iron.  So there was no progression in swing weight.. just all over the place.  I've already contacted mizuno about it and they said there's nothing they can do.  I'm not sure what swing weight you would like, but I think c9 is a bit unacceptable for most people.  I was very disappointed with the craftsmanship on top of the swing weight error (shafts unaligned, grips unaligned, etc.).  

Anyways, my advice for you is to call mizuno directly and ask if they can make it a certain swing weight to the shaft you want. Otherwise... good luck trying to get them fixed.  Their turn-around time takes forever. It's been nearly 3 weeks since I sent my clubs in (and all they did was realign the grips...swingweight and everything else was unfixable)

I appreciate your feedback and advise. It is a shame what happened. I understand that if you do not specify a swing weight when ordering the clubs you should at least get something consistent througout the set not different sw for each club.
My preferred swing weight is around D4, out of the D1-D3 range Mizuno specifies in their web site, so I am a bit more concerned now.
Do you know where your clubs were assembled? what Mizuno facility?
Thanks
Author Information

Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:44 am

Posted by Deemac

mortimer wrote:

muff1nking wrote:

I appreciate your feedback and advise. It is a shame what happened. I understand that if you do not specify a swing weight when ordering the clubs you should at least get something consistent througout the set not different sw for each club.
My preferred swing weight is around D4, out of the D1-D3 range Mizuno specifies in their web site, so I am a bit more concerned now.
Do you know where your clubs were assembled? what Mizuno facility?
Thanks

Mortimer,

Your clubs will be assembled in Cumbernauld and I can personally vouch for the attention to detail they will receive there!
It is a paradoxical but profoundly true and important principle of life that the most likely way to reach a goal is to be aiming not at that goal itself but at some more ambitious goal beyond it. - Arnold Toynbee
Author Information

HCP: 5.2
Local club/country: East Kilbride http://www.ekgolfclub.com/
Irons: MP 69's
Driver: Mizuno MP 650 PX 6.0

Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:59 pm

Posted by hursty

I've never looked at swingweight before so had a quick google about it, found this link:

http://golf.about.com/cs/componentscustom/a/swingweight.htm

My main question is (and its not intended to have a dig at anyone)

When I got fitted at the the National Custom Fit Centre (Clays, Wrexham) swingweight was never mentioned. Also, when trying out the different shafts i decided on the XP S300, again the swingweight of this specific shaft (at the fitting) wasnt measured, so why or how when my set arrived would I know that the swingweight was different from my fitting?

I can understand that people who measure swingweights are miffed about their newly purchased sets not being consistent, but if it is that much of an issue then why dont Mizuno offer the check/measurement as part of the fitting process?

The article has cleared up sometheing for me though, when i got my new irons they felt heavier to swing than my MPR wedges that have heavier shafts fitted. I ended up putting 3 strips of lead tape on the back off the wedges to give them a similar feel. I couldnt work out why with heavier shafts that they felt lighter to swing, Now i know why!
Titleist 910 D2 10.5° - Ahina 72 S
Titleist 910F 15° 3W - Ahina 82 S
Mizuno JPX Fli Hi 3 & 4 - Dynalite Gold XP S300
Mizuno MP 53 5i-PW - Dynalite Gold XP S300
Mizuno MPR-12 50 / 54 / 58 - PX 5.5
Odyssey #7 CS - 33", Superstroke 3.0 Grip
Author Information

HCP: 8.1
Local club/country: The Shropshire
Irons: MP-53 5-PW Dynalite XP S300 1 deg Flat, MPR-12 50, 54 & 58 wedges
Driver: Titleist 910 D2 Diamana Ahina 72 Stiff, Titleist 910F 15 Deg 3W Diamana Ahina 82 Stiff, JPX Fli Hi 3 & 4 Dynalite XP S300, Odyssey #7CS Putter

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010