MIZUNO

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Re: Shotscope v Skycaddie Linx GT v Game Golf v Others

Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:43 pm

Posted by DMT

Celtic_Bil wrote:

I know a few out there have Game Golf, as previously discussed in topics such as viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25876.

Does anybody have any experience of other shot tagging devices?

I have a TomTom Golfer 2 watch that 'auto senses' the swing and tags shots.  It's not too bad if you remember to add putts and make sure you're on the right hole.  But it doesn't record the club used and the software is pretty poor at present.

I was looking at the shotscope (£148 after discount) or the Skycaddie Linx (£270 before any offers).  The Skycaddie also works as a GPS rangefinder were the shotscope only tracks.

Any thoughts.........

Bought a Shotscope last week (should have asked you re the discount code!) and used it for first time on Saturday.  Watch is very light but not insignificant in size.  Personally I was fine with it.  Impressed with the software (needed to move a couple of locations for the putts) but all very quick and easy.

I've never used Gamegolf so can't compare but didn't like the idea of tagging.  Also, as far as I'm aware, there isn't anything else like the Pin Collect on Shotscope at present.

My guess for the near term......they'll improve on the size of the watch and others will somehow incorporate exact pin location functionality.  

Overall very happy so far.  Even at £185 and not £148.  Every shot was registered......just a couple of first putts not quite in the right place.

Happy to answer any specific questions you may have.
Author Information

HCP: 7.5
Local club/country: Celtic Manor
Irons: JPX 850 Forged KBS Stiff (5-PW) 50, 56 and 60 degree Vokeys, 64 Cleveland
Driver: Titleist 915 D2 Whiteboard stiff

Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:48 pm

Posted by Celtic_Bil

DMT wrote:

Bought a Shotscope last week (should have asked you re the discount code!) and used it for first time on Saturday.  Watch is very light but not insignificant in size.  Personally I was fine with it.  Impressed with the software (needed to move a couple of locations for the putts) but all very quick and easy.

I've never used Gamegolf so can't compare but didn't like the idea of tagging.  Also, as far as I'm aware, there isn't anything else like the Pin Collect on Shotscope at present.

My guess for the near term......they'll improve on the size of the watch and others will somehow incorporate exact pin location functionality.  

Overall very happy so far.  Even at £185 and not £148.  Every shot was registered......just a couple of first putts not quite in the right place.

Nice DMT

Is there a tag in the putter?  I'm guessing that when you push the buttons for number of putts (at the end of the hole), this registers the pin location and also marks the last x shots as putts for the software?

I contacted them regarding adding a GPS rangefinder to the watch in the future.  They said it was a possibility, but not in the short term.  If they did, then they would hopefully be able to reward those who supported the current model with a discounted upgrade.  If it had this now I would be straight on it!
87-4-4-5-6 (85-4-3-4-4)
JPX850 10.5 Fujikura Orochi 60 S (1 & Draw)
Titleist 915F 15 Diamana Blue S+ 70 S
MP650 19/22 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye 85 S
MP5 4-PW DG S300
S5 Blue Ion 52/58 DG Wedge
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 34"
Author Information

HCP: 8
Local club/country: Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire http://www.hunleyhotel.co.uk/
Irons: MP5/MP54
Driver: JPX850

Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:12 pm

Posted by DMT

Celtic_Bil wrote:

DMT wrote:

Nice DMT

Is there a tag in the putter?  I'm guessing that when you push the buttons for number of putts (at the end of the hole), this registers the pin location and also marks the last x shots as putts for the software?

I contacted them regarding adding a GPS rangefinder to the watch in the future.  They said it was a possibility, but not in the short term.  If they did, then they would hopefully be able to reward those who supported the current model with a discounted upgrade.  If it had this now I would be straight on it!

Yep, that's exactly how it works.  A tag in the putter too (they're very specific about only using the 'P' tag in the putter.....perhaps it's more sensitive).

At the end of the hole, when retrieving the ball you press a button on the watch for 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4.  I guess 5-putts have to be edited on line after the round.....hopefully I'll never find out.  This records the hole location.

I snapped the first putter tag, oops.  Seems my putter (Evnroll ER2) may have a counter balance that I hadn't been aware of!  Anyway, e-mailed them and I had a new tag in a couple of days.  Although not sure yet how best to attached the new one.  I've left messages with Evnroll in the US but so far they don't seem inclined to help!

For the first round I taped the top of the snapped tag to the top of my putter.  I did this fairly securely so don't know it this caused an issue with it picking up the location of the putts (i.e. it wasn't free/loose enough to register the putt?).  When looking at my round afterwards online a few holes showed the location of the hole but not the first putt.  The stats recorded two 2 foot putts rather than say a 25ft putt and a 2ft putt.  Easy for me to edit and I can remember the shots when I play my home courses.  I'm not so sure when I play 18 at other courses I'd be able to remember the location of my first putt on each hole.  Anyway, hopefully I'll sort something out with the replacement tag and all will be fine.  The thread is about 3/4" and I think if I trim off about 1/4" it'll fit into the grip just fine.  Only downside is any future re-sale value if I change in a couple of years and I've hacked the putter thread down. 
Author Information

Irons: JPX 850 Forged KBS Stiff (5-PW) 50, 56 and 60 degree Vokeys, 64 Cleveland

Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:48 am

Posted by DMT

Used this for a second time.  Still loving the stats and user interface.

What might be an issue for me (and others too perhaps) is if you putt left hand low.  This may cause it not to recognise the putts.  Easy to edit online but I'd rather avoid this if possible.

The suggestion from their support (always quick response times) was to take a practice stroke with my left hand nearer the top of the shaft.  Not ideal changing a pre-shot routine but I'll see what happens this Saturday.

Becuase I'm left hand low and grip maybe an inch down the shaft they think the tag may be too far from the wrist band (right handed golfers are told to wear the band on their left wrist).

Really hoping I can sort something out as otherwise I've been really happy.

Oh, and I forgot to click the wrist band on finishing almost half the holes but that's user error!!  Can't blame anyone else for that! 
Author Information

Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:15 pm

Posted by Prems911

Game golf yrdages so inn accurate 
Author Information

HCP: 9
Local club/country: Marriott Forest of Arden/England
Irons: Mizuno jpx 900 forged c taper lites x 5-pw
Driver: Taylor made m2 10.5 tour ad 7ix

Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:47 am

Posted by DMT

Sadly I've decided to return this.  Due to putting left hand low it doesn't register enough of my putts.  A number of positives for anyone considering this (with a 'conventional' putting grip):

1. No shot tagging required.  Auto recognition/tagging was faultless (bar the putter).

2. Pin location.  I don't think the other systems do this.  Good for putting stats (unless you are left hand low).

3. Very responsive customer service.

I'll be keeping an eye on this in the future and would buy again if/when the putter tag issue is resolved. 
Author Information

Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:43 am

Posted by PaulBoy

Prems911 wrote:

Game golf yrdages so inn accurate 

As a long time GG user I'd be interested to hear why you say that?
Paul
JPX900F 4-PW CTaperLite S
MP-T7 50* 54* 58*
JPX900 Aldila Rogue 60s
JPX900 3w & JPX850 5w
Scotty Cameron Newport II putter
Author Information

HCP: 4.5
Local club/country: Guildford GC & New Forest GC
Irons: JPX900F 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Driver: JPX 900 c/w Aldila Rogue 60s

Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:21 am

Posted by Celtic_Bil

DMT wrote:

Sadly I've decided to return this.  Due to putting left hand low it doesn't register enough of my putts.  A number of positives for anyone considering this (with a 'conventional' putting grip):

1. No shot tagging required.  Auto recognition/tagging was faultless (bar the putter).

2. Pin location.  I don't think the other systems do this.  Good for putting stats (unless you are left hand low).

I'll be keeping an eye on this in the future and would buy again if/when the putter tag issue is resolved. 

Shame about that DMT.  Sounds like everything else was pretty smooth.

I was thinking about the putter trouble you have and the only solution I could think of (beside the practice swing you mentioned) was to get the tag inside the shaft somehow, to the level your wrist would be.  Not an ideal solution...
87-4-4-5-6 (85-4-3-4-4)
MP5 4-PW DG S300
Author Information

Local club/country: Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire http://www.hunleyhotel.co.uk/

Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:18 pm

Posted by DMT

Celtic_Bil wrote:

DMT wrote:

Shame about that DMT.  Sounds like everything else was pretty smooth.

I was thinking about the putter trouble you have and the only solution I could think of (beside the practice swing you mentioned) was to get the tag inside the shaft somehow, to the level your wrist would be.  Not an ideal solution...

I heard from the Arccos guys in the US the other week.  Their Arccos 360 should be out in the U.K. soon.  Not sure on RRP yet.  You can find one or two on Amazon and eBay but they want £260 ish.  Quite a premium at the moment over competitors.  You can also order from the US but then import duties were around £45 I think.

Main negative feedback on the 360 seems to be the need to have your phone in your front pocket.  I do this anyway so no issue for me.  I don't think it easily records pin location but you don't have the tagging unit on your belt like Game Golf.  I like the look of the Arccos 360 subject to price.
Author Information

Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:30 pm

Posted by Celtic_Bil

Shotscope V2 just announced with GPS rangefinder watch & shot tracking.  I've pre ordered mine for early October release.

For me, this now has just about everything you need and hopefully (as a small UK independent company) things will take off big time for these Guys.
87-4-4-5-6 (85-4-3-4-4)
MP5 4-PW DG S300
Author Information

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010