MIZUNO

Game Improvement Irons

Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:20 am

Posted by Alexjardine

I'm in the market for a set of Mizuno game improvement irons. My current games are a set of Ping Eye2 +no+ so I am not particularly concerned with getting a really new set of irons. I'm a 25 handicap since getting back into golf and just looking for a set of beautiful Japanese steel. What are your favorite GI sets from Mizuno that can be snatched off ebay for <$500?
Author Information

Local club/country: United States

Re: Game Improvement Irons

Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:15 pm

Posted by Celtic_Bil

Hi Alexjardine

This thread may be of help....

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26369
87-4-4-5-6 (85-4-3-4-4)
JPX850 10.5 Fujikura Orochi 60 S (1 & Draw)
Titleist 915F 15 Diamana Blue S+ 70 S
MP650 19/22 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye 85 S
MP5 4-PW DG S300
S5 Blue Ion 52/58 DG Wedge
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 34"
Author Information

HCP: 8
Local club/country: Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire http://www.hunleyhotel.co.uk/
Irons: MP5/MP54
Driver: JPX850

Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:39 pm

Posted by Kgrove

IMHO it's easy to get overly fixated on the model of irons while ignoring the shafts, but personally I find bigger differences between different shaft models than I do the irons themselves. Similarly, getting the correct lie on your irons has a bigger impact on your game than most beginners realize. For that reason, I'd recommend testing some shafts and find a couple  that feel good to you, then search for the most forgiving forged iron you can find that has one of those shafts available. By getting a forged iron, you can have the lie bent flat or upright to match your swing requirements. Many or most cast clubs can't be bent.

I know they made both the JPX 825 and 850 in a forged version... those would be good game improvement irons that could probably be found in your budget. There are several of the MP models that might be forgiving enough as well... MP25 and MP54 come to mind but they may be new enough models that its difficult to find one in your price range. I tend to play a less forgiving iron and have to admit I don't remember the model numbers on the more forgiving side of the spectrum.
Author Information

HCP: 12
Local club/country: USA
Irons: MP-5 4-PW KBS Tour 90
Driver: Taylormade R7 425

Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:18 am

Posted by Brattz

Kgrove wrote:

IMHO it's easy to get overly fixated on the model of irons while ignoring the shafts, but personally I find bigger differences between different shaft models than I do the irons themselves. Similarly, getting the correct lie on your irons has a bigger impact on your game than most beginners realize. For that reason, I'd recommend testing some shafts and find a couple  that feel good to you, then search for the most forgiving forged iron you can find that has one of those shafts available. By getting a forged iron, you can have the lie bent flat or upright to match your swing requirements. Many or most cast clubs can't be bent.

I know they made both the JPX 825 and 850 in a forged version... those would be good game improvement irons that could probably be found in your budget. There are several of the MP models that might be forgiving enough as well... MP25 and MP54 come to mind but they may be new enough models that its difficult to find one in your price range. I tend to play a less forgiving iron and have to admit I don't remember the model numbers on the more forgiving side of the spectrum.

Neither of the MP models mentioned are Game Improvement irons. They are better player irons with a bit of forgiveness. The JPX825 and JPX850 are a better recommendation 
Nike Vapor Flex RZN 12° - Oban Kiyoshi Gold 04 65g
Callaway XR 3wd 16° - PX 6.0 LZ 60g
Mizuno MP-H4 3i - DG S300
Mizuno MP-25 4-PW - DG S300
Cleveland 588 RTX2.0 Forged 50°/10°,54°/10°,58°/10°
Cleveland SmartSq FBCSM 35"
Srixon Z-Star XV
Author Information

HCP: 6.6
Local club/country: Beeston Fields, England www.beestonfields.co.uk
Irons: Mizuno MP-25 4-PW
Driver: Nike Vapor Flex 12.5° w/ Oban Kiyoshi Gold 04 65g

Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:01 am

Posted by DCB

Don't overlook the JPX EZs probably the easiest club I've ever hit ;)
“Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into an ever smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose”

Winston S Churchill
Author Information

HCP: 15
Local club/country: Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons: My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX EZ 5-SW RL Shafts, JPX825 3H, JPX 5 & 7 Wood,
Driver: JPX EZ 12° Orochi Black Eye RL Shaft

Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:27 pm

Posted by Kgrove

Brattz wrote:

Kgrove wrote:

Neither of the MP models mentioned are Game Improvement irons. They are better player irons with a bit of forgiveness. The JPX825 and JPX850 are a better recommendation 

True statement, though "game improvement iron" is just a label. Forgiveness is a continuum and labeling a club a players club or game improvement is an arbitrary process. The MPs I mentioned will be a little less forgiving than the JPX 825 or 850, but in my opinion the differences are not huge. My primary point was that getting a shaft and lie angle that matches the swing is likely going to be more important than a difference as small as between a JPX825 and an MP25 or MP54. JPXEZ vs MP4? Now the head differences are relatively substantial... though personally I'd still much rather have a shaft and lie that's dead nuts to my swing than a better matched head attached to the wrong shaft.
Author Information

HCP: 12
Local club/country: USA
Irons: MP-5 4-PW KBS Tour 90
Driver: Taylormade R7 425

Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:32 pm

Posted by Brattz

That wasn't the question asked by the poster.....
Nike Vapor Flex RZN 12° - Oban Kiyoshi Gold 04 65g
Callaway XR 3wd 16° - PX 6.0 LZ 60g
Mizuno MP-H4 3i - DG S300
Mizuno MP-25 4-PW - DG S300
Cleveland 588 RTX2.0 Forged 50°/10°,54°/10°,58°/10°
Cleveland SmartSq FBCSM 35"
Srixon Z-Star XV
Author Information

HCP: 6.6
Local club/country: Beeston Fields, England www.beestonfields.co.uk
Irons: Mizuno MP-25 4-PW
Driver: Nike Vapor Flex 12.5° w/ Oban Kiyoshi Gold 04 65g

Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:43 am

Posted by streuner

Mizuno EZ irons out of the 2014 series are really cheap to buy and good irons if you can go with the massive offset of their heads. If the gunmetal colour is a problem, try to find jpx 800hd irons, beautyfull and cheap also. 
Author Information

HCP: 23
Local club/country: GCC Blumisberg
Irons: Mizuno MP25 6-P NS pro tour 1150 stiff + MP H5 4+5 Recoil 110
Driver: Cobra F6+ Miyasaki jdl6 shaft

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010