MIZUNO

Long irons

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:31 pm

Posted by Boozler

Hi, I have JPX900 Forged 4-GW with DG AMT X100 shafts.

I’d like to add a long iron to the set. I currently hit the 4 iron (21* loft) about 215 yards.

Does anyone know which long iron would match my existing set best in terms of looks and performance?

I’d like to stick with Mizuno but I’m guessing it’s between MP18 MMC Flihi, MP H5 orTitleist 718 T-MB. And would I benefit from adding the same shaft as in my JPX900’s?

I’d be looking at a loft between 16-18*.

Hoping someone can help!!!

thanks
Author Information

HCP: 6
Local club/country: WGCC
Irons: JPX900 Forged 4-GW
Driver: Titleist 915d2 8.5

Re: Long irons

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:21 pm

Posted by Vinny Cap

If you wanted to stay in the JPX line it looks like they only make a 3i in the JPX 900 Tour.  Sad part is it is the same loft (21*) as your forged. 
Might be a tough find.  Any interest in a hybrid?
Author Information

Local club/country: Mass
Irons: MP 67's 3 - W : 52 & 58 MPR-12's

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:19 pm

Posted by Boozler

Thanks Vinny, yeah, struggling to find a straightforward long iron that will fit seamlessly into the set.

I do have a 2iron hybrid but I’m so much more accurate off the tee and in the wind with an iron.

There doesn’t seem to be anywhere locally where I can demo a 2 iron Mizuno or Titleist so hoping someone has some experience with the fli hi to know if it would fit with the JPX900 in terms of feel and performance?
Author Information

Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:21 am

Posted by streuner

H5 plays softer (weaker lofts) than the new FliHi MP18 Version, but the FliHi is longer and more stabile at impact. I guess  it could be a very nice long iron replacement for your JPx irons.

especially of you are looking for a lower ballflight the FliHi out of the MP18 series would be a good choice that is way cheaper  than the Titlist Option. 
Author Information

HCP: 17
Local club/country: GCC Blumisberg
Irons: Mizuno MP18 MMC Project X LZ steel
Driver: Cobra F6+ Miyasaki jdl6 shaft

Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:49 pm

Posted by hursty

Boozler wrote:

I’d like to add a long iron to the set. I currently hit the 4 iron (21* loft) about 215 yards.

Does anyone know which long iron would match my existing set best in terms of looks and performance?

I’d like to stick with Mizuno but I’m guessing it’s between MP18 MMC Flihi, MP H5 orTitleist 718 T-MB. And would I benefit from adding the same shaft as in my JPX900’s?

thanks

You thought about buying another 900F 4i or 900 Tour 3i and having it delofted to suit your needs?
Mizuno JPX 900 - Speeder 757 S
Mizuno JPX 900 3W - Speeder 661 X
Mizuno JPX 900 19 hy - Fujikura Pro 75S
Mizuno MP-5 4i-PW - PX 6.0
Mizuno MPT-7 50 / 54 / 58 - PX 6.0
Odyssey #7 CS
Author Information

HCP: 8.5
Local club/country: The Shropshire GC
Irons: MP-5 4-PW, MPT-7 50, 54 & 58 wedges
Driver: JPX 900 Driver - 757 S, JPX 900 3W - 661 X, JPX 900 19 deg - Fuji Pro 75S, Odyssey #7CS

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:03 pm

Posted by Vinny Cap

Boozler wrote:

Thanks Vinny, yeah, struggling to find a straightforward long iron that will fit seamlessly into the set.

I do have a 2iron hybrid but I’m so much more accurate off the tee and in the wind with an iron.

There doesn’t seem to be anywhere locally where I can demo a 2 iron Mizuno or Titleist so hoping someone has some experience with the fli hi to know if it would fit with the JPX900 in terms of feel and performance?

I hear ya, I am not a hybrid fan at all!  Luckily my MP67s have a 3 iron.  A 3 iron is a must!
I have a couple of Ping 2 irons and have always kept my eye open for a 1 iron.... always wanted to hit one.  Someday I will find one.

It might be easier to find a Titleist one so try and match a similar head to the same shaft you have... might be the only option.  Good luck to you.
Author Information

Local club/country: Mass
Irons: MP 67's 3 - W : 52 & 58 MPR-12's

Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:51 pm

Posted by Kgrove

Keep in mind any of the forged heads you could have bent up to 2* stronger or weaker as needed. Most of the clubs you're talking about - H5, 718TMB, fli high - are not forged and can have the loft adjusted, but it needs to be done at the factory or by somebody who knows what they're doing. I've struggled to fill the gap between my MP5 4-iron and my 5-wood.

I started with the MPH5 2-iron (bent 1* weak). It is / was a good club, but it was too close to my 5-wood distance so didn't fix my problem (it was still a great driving iron for windy days, but it was more of a 5W replacement than a gap filler). My other complaint about the H5 is it is not as workable as I would like... probably the downside to it being somewhat forgiving, or at least as forgiving as you could expect from a 2-iron.

I'm now playing a Titleist 716TMB 3-iron. At first I hated it, but I've grown to love it. It's not as soft / smooth as the H5, but it better fills the distance gap I needed. In hindsight an H5 3-iron might have been a better choice. I do find the 716TMB a bit more workable. It stings more than the H5 when you miss the center, but does feel good on strongly contacted shots. I also tried out a 3-iron blade, in this case the Titleist blade. It was buttery smooth and exactly what I was looking for.

What that tells me is that I was an idiot for having my MP5 set stop at 4i and should have included the 3i. I could always have strengthened the loft 1* to make it more like a 2.5-iron and split the distance gap between my 4i and 5W a little better. I wish 2-irons were available in more models. Clearly it would be a low volume seller, but it would still be a nice touch.
Author Information

HCP: 12
Local club/country: USA
Irons: MP5 4-PW KBS Tour 90, MPH5 2-iron, Titleist 716 T-MB 3-iron
Driver: JPX-900 w/ 569 shaft

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:16 am

Posted by Boozler

streuner wrote:

H5 plays softer (weaker lofts) than the new FliHi MP18 Version, but the FliHi is longer and more stabile at impact. I guess  it could be a very nice long iron replacement for your JPx irons.

especially of you are looking for a lower ballflight the FliHi out of the MP18 series would be a good choice that is way cheaper  than the Titlist Option. 

Thanks Streuner, positive views on the Fli Hi
Author Information

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:17 am

Posted by Boozler

hursty wrote:

Boozler wrote:

thanks

You thought about buying another 900F 4i or 900 Tour 3i and having it delofted to suit your needs?

Thanks Hursty, no I hadn't considered that option. That would certainly maintain a consistency in feel and looks etc. I’ll look into it
Author Information

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:25 am

Posted by Boozler

Vinny Cap wrote:

Boozler wrote:

I hear ya, I am not a hybrid fan at all!  Luckily my MP67s have a 3 iron.  A 3 iron is a must!
I have a couple of Ping 2 irons and have always kept my eye open for a 1 iron.... always wanted to hit one.  Someday I will find one.

It might be easier to find a Titleist one so try and match a similar head to the same shaft you have... might be the only option.  Good luck to you.

Ha, yeah, same as me Vinny.

If I want to hit the fairway 210-220 yards my 4 irons in my hands every time. It’s my go to club off the tee. I hit a high draw even with X stiff shafts....so if I had an equivalent 16-18* iron, I think I’d be confident enough to hit pretty much the same shot, but maybe 15-20 yards longer with a lower flight. And on my home course that would be pretty useful
Author Information

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010