CH919Forged

HCP
Local club/country
Shandon Park NI
Irons
JPX 919 Forged 4-GW
Driver
Callaway XR 10.5 Project X Stiff
Help needed. I got absolutely drenched on Saturday and now the bag seriously reeks. Have covered the thing in baking soda. Doesn't seem to be working yet. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't fancy buying a new bag if I don't have to.

Local club/country
United States
Irons
Mizuno MP-29 3-PW with Rifle TF 6.5 (awaiting Mizuno Pro 223 4-GW with Nippon 105 X-Stiff)
Driver
Mizuno ST-Z 220 9.5* at 7.5* with Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (Replaced Callaway FT-9 Tour 9* with Fubuki Tour 63 Stiff)
I think I'd get a fan on it blowing air into the top opening until it's fully dry. I'd also make sure all pockets are opened and can breath. Warm dry air would be best.

You may find the odor goes away once dry. If it's only been a few days it makes you wonder if the smell is a byproduct of its materials. For any lingering odors I would try Febreze or another appropriate neutralizer.

I would lean toward Febreze over a dry baking soda product because it's not always easy to reach remote areas within a bag. I'd rather dry Febreze, and finding baking soda on grips may not much fun. Long-term cheap white rice (not instant) in a few cloth or fine mesh bags could be placed in your golf bag as a desiccant when it gets damp or wet, or when you put it in storage.

Good luck!

Disclaimer:. Both of my bags are lightweight carry models with little material to absorb water. The don't tend to stay wet.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
To embarrass myself with a personal example, are you sure nothing is in the bottom of the bag?

I had a sweaty face towel on top of my bag some years ago. Somehow, between the course and home, it fell into the bottom of my bag and I never thought about it. When it got wet in some rain, it stunk like mildew a few days later. Once I realized what had happened, Lysol helped and the towel went into the garbage.

My wife thoroughly enjoyed teasing me, the guy who is so overly anal about taking care of my equipment.

I got lightly rained on the other day and spread out my equipment in the living room to dry everything off. The reason elephants are noted for their long memory is because they learned it from my wife. She just had to remind me about that towel, so I picked up my bag and shook it over her head. I am only still alive because nothing fell out.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Hey CH919Forged - Did you ever figure out how to deal with the smell in your golf bag?

I was working in the yard the other day when a big rain started all of a sudden. I wasn't on the course, but it reminded me we've never heard the outcome of your issue. Inquiring minds want to know. So do nosy people like us. :)

CH919Forged

HCP
Local club/country
Shandon Park NI
Irons
JPX 919 Forged 4-GW
Driver
Callaway XR 10.5 Project X Stiff
Hey CH919Forged - Did you ever figure out how to deal with the smell in your golf bag?

I was working in the yard the other day when a big rain started all of a sudden. I wasn't on the course, but it reminded me we've never heard the outcome of your issue. Inquiring minds want to know. So do nosy people like us. :)
Hi Dennis, the baking soda seems to have done the trick with the smell but now have the unfortunate side effect that some of the grips are a bit powdery. Difficult stuff to get completely out of the bag even with a good vacuum. I suppose it'll work itself out of the bag eventually. Hope so anyway.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I guess the only thing I can suggest now is, it's about to be a great time to shop for a new golf bag on sale.

throwback

HCP
Local club/country
Sunkist Country club Biloxi, Ms. usa
Irons
GolfSmith square toed Blades 3-S with 60 deg lob
Driver
Cobra Rad speer 11deg Avilla stiff
empty the bag, mix 1 to 1 Hot water and ammonia soak the bag inside and out with this mix, pressure wash the thing let it air dry smell will be gone and it will be really clean.

Top Bottom