HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
[QUOTE="Br1an_g, post: 151705, member: 10120] Highlight was par 4 13th , hit 17 hybrid leaving about 80 yards in. Duff my chip about 10 yards then Chip in for birdie. Stupid game. 😂[/QUOTE]
I always thought that's how the hole was supposed to be played.

I had a friend in high school who casually mentioned he was between clubs on a par 4. He topped some iron shot 10-15 yards and I made a smart assed comment about laying up. He proceeded to hit about a 100 yard shot in the hole for birdie. "Gotta play to your best distance" was all he said...

Last edited:

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Shot 41 again... and again and again and again and again... I've never been so stuck on a number in my life. I swear, I think I've shot the same score for 9 holes about 10 times now.

I was happy with my ball striking in general. It was really my putting that let me down yesterday.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Yesterday morning, my putting abandoned me. It's usually one of the best parts of my game and saves pars after missed greens and poor chips.

I shot 40, having hit the ball better than any time in months, after hitting 6 greens and 3 putting 3 of the first 4 holes, I only made one birdie, but 3 putted a couple more in the process.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Mizuno MP-20 MMC (4-AW) Modus3 105s
Driver
TM Stealth II MRC Tensei Orange 50s
Yesterday morning, my putting abandoned me. It's usually one of the best parts of my game and saves pars after missed greens and poor chips.

I shot 40, having hit the ball better than any time in months, after hitting 6 greens and 3 putting 3 of the first 4 holes, I only made one birdie, but 3 putted a couple more in the process.
Hi Dennis ... Nice to see you finally got off the 41 you were stuck on! - I recently had my best round at my home course - Once I remember how to post a picture I will do a bit of major bragging!

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Driver
On Friday The Thirteenth no less, I had my best ever round at my home course (Army GC) - My previous best was 73 & this was improved to 71 (level par) or 44pts in the stableford format I was playing (receiving 8 shots) - I had 3x birdies / 3x bogeys / 12x pars - It wasn't even a nice day for golf, with scrawly showers & a stiff breeze, but I was knocking the flags over with anything under 8 iron & two of the birdies were from less than a foot!
Epic fail trying to post the pic of my card from the AGC website - Couldn't even get a link from Flickr to work?

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I had my best ever round at my home course (Army GC) - My previous best was 73 & this was improved to 71 (level par) or 44pts in the stableford format.
Congratulations! Very well done!!!

My old memory is still vivid enough to remember the days I played my best rounds.

My best rounds are more than half my lifetime back in history. When people ask me my lowest score, I have to answer them 2 ways. 65 was the lowest number, but it was a par 70 course, thus 5 under. 66 was on a par 72 course, so it was actually 6 under.

The latter round started with an albatross on the par 5 second hole. My playing partner just sort of looked at me with this weird look on his face and said, "Just for once, will you take this seriously?" And I must be honest, I set myself up to make a couple bogeys or double bogies, but his some ridiculously lucky shots. One sticks in my memory. I short sided myself to the left of a green with a mound and a bunker between me and a pin a bout 10 feet on. I totally bladed a sand wedge, which zoomed into the mound, popped up like a Phil Mickelson lob and came down on the edge of the green and rolled to within 3 feet of the hole.

In my excitement over the score, in retrospect, I can't say talent had much to do with it, nowhere close to as much as luck did. I usually played in the mid 70s back then.

And by the way, I three putted the final hole, just so the golfing gods could remind me who was really in charge.

And on the same course the next day, with the same clubs and the same caddie, I shot 82.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Driver
Thanks Dennis - It's great fun reminiscing over past achievements - In terms of your comment "And by the way, I three putted the final hole, just so the golfing gods could remind me who was really in charge " - I had a similar scenario during my previous best round at my club - I had used up all my shots by the 12th hole, but went on a birdie blitz, with birdies on 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th & 17th - On 16th I pitched in from about 50y & on 17th I drained a putt from about 40' - I had dragged my score back to level par & then double-bogied the last!
I had an interesting round today incidentally - It's our Wednesday Fiddle, so an individual stableford - Course probably should have been closed as it was as wet as an otter's wet bits! - Rain for most of the round too - Anyway, after a steady start I had a birdie on SI2 4th hole & then holed my 2nd shot on Par 4 6th with a full 8 iron! - It is SI6 so I got 5pts! - I finished the front 9 with another birdie for 23pts - Only 16pts on back 9, but still enough to take the kitty (hurrah!)

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Your comment about going on a birdie blitz reminded me of a funny story. I used to playwith a guy named Joe Onorati. We played for fun, didn't gamble or anything, but that didn't stop the teasing from being intense.

On the front nine one day, I made 4 birdies in a row, still nearly 40 years later, my personal record. After the third, Joe was apoplectic, grabbed my ball out and threw it into a lake behind the green. We all laughed about it, but then I birdied the next hole. Joe got in his cart and acted like he was going to drive off the course.

Varry Hardon

HCP
Local club/country
Dukinfield
Irons
H5 long irons, Takomo 101T, S23 wedges
Driver
ST-G
Had a practise this afternoon.

Did something I have literally never done before: I hit a pitch shot with a PW.

Previously only ever pitched with 50 degree + wedges.

Hit 3 balls to the smallest green on the course and one was 5 foot away.

Feel like a man transformed.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Hit 3 balls to the smallest green on the course and one was 5 foot away.

Feel like a man transformed.
I don't know why, but there is something about hitting a great pitch shot, whether it's a to a short sided pin or just to a position leaving me the easiest putt, but I often feel like I get more satisfaction from that than any drive or iron shot.

Bonobobananas

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
Titleist T100s 😬
Driver
TM Stealth 2+
Going through the latest of many many swing changes over the years, although this will probably be the hardest. Dodgy knees have meant getting in the gym properly and also finally addressing some simple bio mechanical disasters like standing too far from the ball.

I really like the AMG guys and am now spending off season working out some of my ‘death’ moves, like abducting my trail arm excessively. It’s working well so far, I seem to be hitting my irons better with far less effort.

Anyone else working on anything specific?

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Anyone else working on anything specific?
Unfortunately, yes... Like you, I have knee issues, mostly from millions of jump shots and rebounds playing basketball all through high school and college. Add to that, millions of golf shots, torquing my left knee.

I have a torn meniscus and the Orthopedist's opinion is that surgery to cut the tear away would leave the knee less stable. The solution has been riding a stationary bike for 20 minutes, twice a day. After 3 months of this, he's only just suggested I increase the tension, but he hasn't said anything about actually not playing golf in the meantime. Otherwise, i do generalized strengthening stuff so my leg muscles can support me with as little dependence from my knees as possible. It's not a fun workout.

My second issue is more difficult, I have bone spurs in both shoulders. I had surgery on the right shoulder back in 2018 and was told they could reoccur. Sure enough, they have. When I had the surgery back then, the weakness and pain during physical therapy kept me from playing for 16 months. Emotionally, I really can't face that again and I'm trying to invent a swing that still lets me hit it fairly well, but on a flatter plane than the previously upright swing i had. (Think Colin Montgomery) It's left me pretty inconsistent so far, other than 5 straight rounds of 41 until recently.

My setup has become a narrower stance and a backswing with my left arm rarely going beyond parallel to the ground. I can't complain with the results when I'm able to keep my timing, but I seem to have a habit of coming over the top sometimes.

At 74, having played golf over 70 years now, any time i think i know how to play this game, it kicks me in the ass.

Bonobobananas

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
Titleist T100s 😬
Driver
TM Stealth 2+
Very enjoyable round at Ganton yesterday. A couple of holes shortened for work but otherwise in cracking condition. A lovely place, worth a visit if you’re in the area. IMG_7841.jpeg

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
There is no number ever invented to describe how I played today. The closest I could come would be "UGLY"...

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I guess one of the benefits of living in Florida is the weather. Nobody has posted here since December 1st.

As it is, i have a cold and cough, so i didn't play all week. Where are my hearty European friends who play when it's cold, raining and generally hell outside?

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
For those of you who have followed this thread recently, you may have noticed I was stuck on a number, shooting 40 quite a few times in succession.

Well, I still seem to be stuck on that number. This morning, i took out the old MX1000 irons with the MP600 driver and F15 three wood, hit the ball very well, putted like a baboon, flubbed 2 bunker shots and shot 40 again.

Last edited:

Robbo016

HCP
Local club/country
Saunton / Puckrup Hall GC
Irons
MP64's 3-5 MP5 6-Pw +0.5" 2 degs up Tour Modus 105 S Scotty SM9Wedges 50, 54 & 60 Scotty putter 3-3-3-5
Driver
Taylormade Stealth 2+ Fujikura Ventus S-75
I’m stuck on the couch atm - back injury has sidelined me for a few weeks - highly annoying but there you go.. should be back hitting balls next week

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I’m stuck on the couch atm - back injury has sidelined me for a few weeks - highly annoying but there you go.. should be back hitting balls next week
OUCH! Been there, done that... Sorry to hear it happened, but glad to hear you'll be hitting the ball again next week.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Can I say I shot zero today? I was supposed to play, but looking at the billing from the golf course, some scary questions have come up about whether i have been overbilled. I'm staying home to go through bank records and check things out.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
For absolutely no reason I can think of, I hit the ball great today, got up and down a lot and shot 39 on the back nine at Killian Greens. At the same time, I finished frustrated over a 3 putt bogey from 15 feet on the last hole. In retrospect, it's the first time I've broken 40 in a while, so I shouldn't really complain.

Last edited:
Top Bottom