db.

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Mizuno MP62 4-PW, Mizuno MP T5 52, 58 wedges
Driver
Ping G30 / Titleist 913 D2
Played yesterday at my local course and it was unusually slow for a weekday (later found out there was a huge society out) which meant I spent a lot of time waiting on the group in front, and you couldn't fail to notice that one of them was the worst kind of chopper you have ever seen - a proper hacker who, in my opinion should be down the driving range. When he did make contact he either hit it a foot fat (carving up the course in the process) or he thinned the life out of it, never getting it more than 6 inches off the ground, usually sideways, his score was easily 110+, I felt embarrassed for him. Now, I play on a public course, so this is not out of the ordinary you might think, BUT the guy was bagging a full set of 68's!! He had a lovely Mizuno trolley bag too, looked exactly like a tour bag. I truly felt so sorry for the gorgeous irons he was abusing, I looked at them on every tee box thinking that they needed rescuing, praying that the Mizuno police would arrive any minute lol.

I wanted to ask him how he got them, as surely he was not custom fitted?! .. and to think I chickened out of buying them and I am a 5 'cap.

I am not a golf snob by any means, people have to learn (down the range to start with though please), it was just the clubs he had that made me take notice. What a waste of money. Mental.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
Indeed!!

I think under the circumstances, a mugging would have been totally justified!!

D.

Mizo

HCP
-
Local club/country
Efteling, Netherlands
Irons
18° MP FLi-Hi/MP-57/3-PW/PX 5.5, MP-T/56-10/R300
Driver
MX-560/9.5/Proforce V2S 66g
I read this about 2 hours ago, thinking about it still creeps me out.

Dave Lyall

HCP
Local club/country
Kirriemuir Golf Club, Scotland
Irons
Mizuno MP30 3-Pw, Black Ox Wedges,52,54 & 56, Titleist 985 19 Stiff Hybrid,Cleveland Hi Bore 17 Stiff Hybrid
Driver
Titleist 909D2,9.5 Degree, Stiff Aldila Voodoo Shaft
First reaction to this was he must have been given a loan of the irons from a mate for the outing,but who in their right mind would lend these things of beauty and master craftsmanship to some ham & egg player to carve up a golf course !!
Best iron to recommend for this guy would be Morphy Richards !!

HCP
Local club/country
Balcarrick, Donabate, Co. Dublin, Ireland
Irons
Mizuno mp62's Black Nickel (3-PW S300 shafts), MP-T10's 54/60 Black Satin
Driver
Titleist 910 D2 Driver 9.5, Ping i15 3 wood 15.5, Nike rescue 18.
I love that story db. I think the full mizuno SWAT team should have been deployed by chopper.

I also chickened out of getting the mp 68's because of the fear surrounding them even though I am a fairly good ball striker. I got the 62's like yourself, I only have them a few days and they feel different from my old 32's. The 62's don't feel as solid but I am hoping once I get use to them the feel will be similiar.

The guy you seen with the 68's is the one who believes when you buy all the best kit you will shoot great scores.

Wrong! He should have invested in a few lessons and some cavity clubs instead.

Matt

Mizo

HCP
-
Local club/country
Efteling, Netherlands
Irons
18° MP FLi-Hi/MP-57/3-PW/PX 5.5, MP-T/56-10/R300
Driver
MX-560/9.5/Proforce V2S 66g
mattski said:
The guy you seen with the 68's is the one who believes when you buy all the best kit you will shoot great scores.

Wrong! He should have invested in a few lessons and some cavity clubs instead.
There's nothing wrong with buying the best kit believing you will shoot great scores.
Just that if you think you can do it without lessons, then your a bit on the delusional side.

I even think that to play properly, everyone should be under the belief that whatever they bought is the best kit. Because if your second guessing what's in your bag, you'll end up going round constantly doubting yourself.
If you believe your kit is the best, it will keep you focused on improving your swing and practice harder.
At least that's how it works for me.

db.

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Mizuno MP62 4-PW, Mizuno MP T5 52, 58 wedges
Driver
Ping G30 / Titleist 913 D2
When you are learning the game you are penalising yourself by playing anything but cavity backed clubs. This guy had never had a lesson in his life, I think it was a case of having more money than sense. He probably went to a golf store and bought the most expensive irons he could find, just because he could.

His 'ball striking' was a sight to behold. :)

HCP
Local club/country
Balcarrick, Donabate, Co. Dublin, Ireland
Irons
Mizuno mp62's Black Nickel (3-PW S300 shafts), MP-T10's 54/60 Black Satin
Driver
Titleist 910 D2 Driver 9.5, Ping i15 3 wood 15.5, Nike rescue 18.
Mizo

You are correct in saying everybody should buy the best kit (they can afford obviously). The problem is higher handicappers buy blades that are impossible to hit for someone of their experience.

They must look into buying the best irons for their personal ability not because they see the tour pro's using them. A beginner should be buying a nice set of mizuno cavity's.

Pete Player

HCP
Local club/country
www.levi.fi
Irons
Mizuno MP-69 3-PW, Cobra Tour Trusty 52, 56°
Driver
Cobra BiO Cell+ MyFly 8.5° Matrix Ozic 6Q3 X-Stiff, TM R9 fwy woods
I'm with mizo,

"There is nothing like hitting a blade solid and pure", said one of my relatives, while asking about club selection.

That is so very true. However, if one cannot hit it pure and solid, what's the result. Maybe he's to get some lessons to achieve that feeling more often or buy another set with lot of off set, huge shovel-like faces and barn-door-wide soles.

In the eve of the game there vere no GI-clubs, everyone tried to hit with blades. And what happened in those days?

Some got skillfull and others hacked the ball forward hardly getting it airborn. I think it is still the same.

No gi-club will make you a better swinger, neither will they enhance your ball striking, but helps you to continue making same mistakes till the end of time.

Tips on mags give you quick fixes, that work as long as your orginal idea is faulty in the same way as it was to begin with, but most people rely on the same tips still after theyve gone pass the problem and wonder why it doesn't work anymore.

Top Bottom