Iron Head Covers

Dave Lyall

HCP
Local club/country
Kirriemuir Golf Club, Scotland
Irons
Mizuno MP30 3-Pw, Black Ox Wedges,52,54 & 56, Titleist 985 19 Stiff Hybrid,Cleveland Hi Bore 17 Stiff Hybrid
Driver
Titleist 909D2,9.5 Degree, Stiff Aldila Voodoo Shaft
Hi there,
Being one of the players using the soft forged irons we all love and prefer, I have always protected them by using head covers to preserve them from bag clatter marks & dings etc. When looking to replace my present "well used " ones I have spotted one or two Mizuno branded sets on a popular auction site (say no more !). Does anyone know if these are genuine as I don't see any in the accessories section of the Mizuno website. O.K. they are not expensive and serve the purpose as well as looking good, it's purely point of principal that I would feel pretty brassed off if I was just making a donation to some Knock off Nigel. The UK sellers may be trustworthy but I am suspicious of the so called powersellers from Singapore etc,
All comments welcome
Cheers y'all

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Local club/country
UK
There are genuine iron covers sold through Japan. Many of these do get sold through the internet. So a good chance these would be a Mizuno product.

However, we don't recommend using iron headcovers in Europe as they trap moisture on the clubhead. This can start the rusting process.

HCP
Local club/country
Holme hall golf club, Lincolnshire, England
Irons
mp-57
Driver
Taylormade R7 Superquad 9.5 degree med- stiff Mizuno MX-7OO 3-5 Wood mid-flex
So admin how would you surgest we keep our 600 quid clubs safe from clatter marks and dints?

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
If you're happy using headcovers, and have found a way to keep the irons dry / avoid rust spots - then you've found an ideal solution.

Taking the headcovers off after each round and drying the heads is a big help.

However, most golfers we talk to prefer few clatter/wear marks over rust spots. It might be a difficult stance for Mizuno if we sold headcovers - where the misuse created problems for the majority of players.

Dave Lyall

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
Mizuno MP30 3-Pw, Black Ox Wedges,52,54 & 56, Titleist 985 19 Stiff Hybrid,Cleveland Hi Bore 17 Stiff Hybrid
Driver
Fair answer admin,and although I do agree that trapping moisture does indeed make the forged irons rust I do agree completely with adwhittaker that we need to protect our precious irons as we all know that as well as them marking easily,they hold their value better if they are in good nick when you want to sell them and upgrade. Maybe you should consider selling them to us players in the less fortunate areas climate wise. At least we will know they come from a trusted seller. As for the preference to having clatter marks instead of taking a few minutes to dry them off, I can only guess that these players have more money than a bit of common sense and don't appreciate the fine piece of craftsmanship in their bag.

HCP
Local club/country
The Heritage Golf and Country Club
Irons
Mizuno / MX-200 / 4-LW
Driver
Mizuno / MX-700 / 10.5 / Lite
My answer to this use the head covers to protect the clubs but before you put them back on the club make sure you dry the club first. I also find it helpful to clean the clubs after each round leave the head covers off for the next 24 hours. I put the head covers over the heating duct which dries out any moisture trapped inside. The result is I have never had a rust spot on any clubs. Look after your investment it is a wise move.

HCP
Local club/country
felixstowe ferry g c
Irons
MP62 regular
Driver
ping g10 stiff
If you go to a sailmaker/saddler ask him to punch out a hole about 1 inch (2.5 Cms) in each head cover. This will give your clubs protction but will allow them to breath. In fact why don't Mizuno make them with a large breath hole in anyway!

Jas

HCP
Local club/country
Mid Kent GC
Irons
Combo set 3-6 MP64's 7-PW MP4's MPT4 Wedges
Driver
Titleist 913, Aldilla Phenom Pro stiff Shaft
peter white said:
If you go to a sailmaker/saddler ask him to punch out a hole about 1 inch (2.5 Cms) in each head cover. This will give your clubs protction but will allow them to breath. In fact why don't Mizuno make them with a large breath hole in anyway!
I was going to suggest something along similar lines or perhaps Mizuno could develop a ventilated headcover????

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
mp-57
Driver
I completly agree with the ventilated covers.

Also for admin to say people prefer clatter marks and dints to rust, I think that is rubbish.
Having spent 600-700 quid on new clubs you expect something there to protect your clubs and not just accept they are going to get ruined as your walking down the fairway.

To me that is like buying a car with no seals around the doors, so when it rains you have to accept your interior is going to get wet, and the only way around it is to grab the missus hair dryer and dry it out.

The technology and money spent on developing clubs is massive, so why not put some effort in to making ourclubs last.

And i certanly dont prefer clatter marks nor do i rust.

also once you gain all the marks your clubs reduce in value dramatically, so you then have to find the money again to buy new ones, and i dont have the money to be buying new clubs every six months.

Jas

HCP
Local club/country
Mid Kent GC
Irons
Combo set 3-6 MP64's 7-PW MP4's MPT4 Wedges
Driver
Titleist 913, Aldilla Phenom Pro stiff Shaft
adwhittaker 'The technology and money spent on developing clubs is massive, so why not put some effort in to making ourclubs last'

Excuse my conspiracy theory but that would not suit any manufacturer, also another point about rust spots, going back a few years ago when I first purchased my MP30's, I was getting rust spots within a month and that was without using headcovers and at that time I religiously cleaned my clubs. My club pro where I purchased them from agreed that no way should I be getting the spots, he even sent them back to Mizuno but they sent them back saying the spots were not a result of any manufacturing defect even though they were less than a month old. So unfortunately I have mixed feelings regarding Mizuno I love their irons but not enamoured with my customer service experience!

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
mp-57
Driver
I understand what you are saying on the manufacturing jas.

But with so many brands on the market these days, you would think someone would take a dive into the protection area, surely that would put them head and shoulders above the rest.

Dont get me wrong i love mizuno forged irons and have now got to love me mizuno woods as well (mx700).
And would never have any other brand its i would like to see them make an effort in the protection side of things!

HCP
Local club/country
country club el paso tx
Irons
mizuno 57 4 pw, 56 y 60
Driver
mp 600, 9.5 fujikura 360
I am completly agree with use to potect the iron, I an use them and my iron are like news and avoid rust and sots, and keep them dry.
I loved my mizuno

mattymp62

HCP
Local club/country
Cherwell Edge GC
Irons
MP-62
I like to take care of my irons too, but can't be doing with taking headcoves on and off during the round, plus the problem of wet heads in a headcover can do more harm than good. So, this is the action I take to prevent unecessary damage:

1. Neoprene covers placed on when in transit or in cupboard at home.
2. Remove all covers after taking clubs from boot.
3. To prevent bag chatter, place a towell inbetween the heads to limit clanging whilst walking.
4. Clean and dry them immediately after getting home from playing.

:)

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
I have bought a set of iron covers from the aforementioned auction site from a guy in Japan and I am delighted with them! I always make sure that my clubs are dried and the covers left off when not in use and I've never had a problem.

I've been playing my MP32's for 3 seasons now and there is still not a clatter mark on them!

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Palm Aire
Irons
Mizuno MP-67 (4-PW)
Deemac said:
I have bought a set of iron covers from the aforementioned auction site from a guy in Japan and I am delighted with them! I always make sure that my clubs are dried and the covers left off when not in use and I've never had a problem.

I've been playing my MP32's for 3 seasons now and there is still not a clatter mark on them!
I'll bet those 32's look sweat Deemac. I've never used iron covers before, but, I'm very careful with
my clubs and keep them looking really good. I've had my 67's for a couple years now and they have
hardly any marks on them.

BTW, thanks for the link!!

Dave Lyall

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
Driver
Hi folks, encouraged to see I am not the only one who thinks iron covers are a good idea to look after our expensive gear. I was first introduced to Mizuno forging a few years back when I bought CompEZ irons from a local pro and decided there and then that I would play no other make of iron. These were looked after very well and have been passed on to my son who loves them.I used iron covers with them and they have kept their good looks,thus my support for iron covers and their benefits.I learned soon that these forgings were prone to rust spots, as, when you're golfing in Scotland you do get the occasional wet day or two, however a quick dry down and the covers left off overnight and the dreaded spots could be avoided.Not too time consuming if you want to keep your gear looking and playing it's best !
This brings another issue to the fore. When I had these irons the BIG problem was the shafts. These were True Temper R400 Sensicore and they were great until they started to snap on various irons just below the shaft bands. The outcome was that Mizuno didn't want to know and the expense of replacements was purely down to me. Anyone had a similar scenario?

Faldofan

HCP
Local club/country
Prestatyn. N Wales
Irons
Ping i E1
Driver
Mizuno JPX850
Hi all,
For many years and now on my new MP68, I have been using an American product called Iron Gloves. If you do a Google search you will find the website. They are a slip on neoprene of excellent quailty and the Royal colour complemtnts the Mizuno Staff colours.

Never had rust problems.

Only drawback, not available in UK, you have to buy from Iron Gloves in US, very friendly people.

Ron

mattymp62

HCP
Local club/country
Cherwell Edge GC
Irons
MP-62
Never used iron headcovers during a round and my irons don't suffer ding marks. I simply drape a towell (nice big Mizuno one does the trick) inbetween the club heads and hold them steady when walking between shots.

I do put neoprene covers on them whislt they are in transit (in the boot), but this is for about 15 minutes, then they come off when in the house.

Does anyone else regard the clattering sound from clubs as bad as nails down a blackboard!? ;)

mjtoal

HCP
Local club/country
Bearwood Lakes, Berkshire
Irons
Mizuno MP4, C-taper S
Driver
Tirtleist 913D3, Oban Devotion
I have had 10 sets of forged clubs (8 of which were Mizuno) in my time and never used an iron head cover, and never will. I think they look rather naff, but I also like to see my irons in the bag.

I should also say I have never seen a good player who used them. Almost all the people I have seen using them were occasional golfers with either 'I bought the best even though I can't use them' irons, or rubbish clubs not worth protecting.

Apologies to any good players here who use them.

Crichton1973

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
Tulliallan GC, Scotland
Irons
Taylormade RAC CB, KBS Tour stiff 3-PW.
Driver
Titleist 909D2, 10.5 deg Diamana Blue Board 73 Stiff.
mattymp62 said:
I like to take care of my irons too, but can't be doing with taking headcoves on and off during the round, plus the problem of wet heads in a headcover can do more harm than good. So, this is the action I take to prevent unecessary damage:

1. Neoprene covers placed on when in transit or in cupboard at home.
2. Remove all covers after taking clubs from boot.
3. To prevent bag chatter, place a towell inbetween the heads to limit clanging whilst walking.
4. Clean and dry them immediately after getting home from playing.

:)
Sod all that!! Clean them regular and don't leave them lying about wet. Besides that just stick them in the bag and play golf!

Top Bottom