Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
All you guys who are in the "Clean them and just play golf" brigade...

I respect your opinion, however there are some of us on this forum who fall into one of two categories, who are also quite entitled to their own opinion about using iron covers:

1) I've bought the best, I am meticulous about my equipment, I enjoy the game, it is my passion, so I will look after my equipment carefully... or

2) I have just spent a considerable amount of money on this equipment and times are extremely hard at the moment. I'm not a tour player who scratches his iron and jumps into the tour van to get a new one, so I have to take as good care of my equipment as I can - so that it lasts me a good few years, and when I do eventually get round to upgrading, my clubs are in good condition to trade in or sell on

The previous poster's comments about good players not using iron covers.... Appology accepted (Grudgingly!!)

mattymp62

HCP
Local club/country
Cherwell Edge GC
Irons
MP-62
Crichton1973 said:
mattymp62 said:
I like to take care of my irons too, but can't be doing with taking headcoves on and off during the round, plus the problem of wet heads in a headcover can do more harm than good. So, this is the action I take to prevent unecessary damage:

1. Neoprene covers placed on when in transit or in cupboard at home.
2. Remove all covers after taking clubs from boot.
3. To prevent bag chatter, place a towell inbetween the heads to limit clanging whilst walking.
4. Clean and dry them immediately after getting home from playing.

:)
Sod all that!! Clean them regular and don't leave them lying about wet. Besides that just stick them in the bag and play golf!

Yep so the only difference between us two is that I put covers on when they're in the boot or storage? Not exactly a big hassle.

Agree with Deemac, each to their own, if you use headcovers it doesn't mean you're a hacker!

Crichton1973

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
Tulliallan GC, Scotland
Irons
Taylormade RAC CB, KBS Tour stiff 3-PW.
Driver
Titleist 909D2, 10.5 deg Diamana Blue Board 73 Stiff.
Deemac said:
All you guys who are in the "Clean them and just play golf" brigade...

I respect your opinion, however there are some of us on this forum who fall into one of two categories, who are also quite entitled to their own opinion about using iron covers:

1) I've bought the best, I am meticulous about my equipment, I enjoy the game, it is my passion, so I will look after my equipment carefully... or

2) I have just spent a considerable amount of money on this equipment and times are extremely hard at the moment. I'm not a tour player who scratches his iron and jumps into the tour van to get a new one, so I have to take as good care of my equipment as I can - so that it lasts me a good few years, and when I do eventually get round to upgrading, my clubs are in good condition to trade in or sell on

The previous poster's comments about good players not using iron covers.... Appology accepted (Grudgingly!!)
Deemac you said 'however there are some of us on this forum who fall into one of two categories, who are also quite entitled to their own opinions about using iron covers'

Correct and these opinions have been put across with statements such as
'these players have more money than a bit of common sense and don't appreciate the fine piece of craftsmanship in their bag.'
also
'To me that is like buying a car with no seals around the doors, so when it rains you have to accept your interior is going to get wet, and the only way around it is to grab the missus hair dryer and dry it out.'
and even
'also once you gain all the marks your clubs reduce in value dramatically, so you then have to find the money again to buy new ones, and i dont have the money to be buying new clubs every six months.'

These are peoples opinions and I respect them even though I don't fully agree, same as the comment about good players not using head covers which I can understand how this point was made but also don't fully agree.

You also say 'I've bought the best'
See where your coming from but don't fully agree, Miura and Vega are better forging and I know you think these are 'exotic's' and don't count, however to me it's like saying my Ford Mondeo is the best because BMW, Audi etc are 'exotic's' and don't count.

Apologies Mattymp62, didn't mean to put down your opinion. Sod all that!! was more about all the various ways to manage iron headcovers when getting wet etc, etc.

It's quite an apt point to say all people are different and the world would be a boring place if we were all the same. Imagine forums like this would go like someone makes a point and then everyone replies 'Yes I agree'!!

Have to go now and make sure the driver has past my clubs over to the butler for cleaning, if not I'll just send him out to buy me a new set! ;)

bitofabandit

HCP
Local club/country
bingley st ives
Irons
mx25 4-pw,cleveland cg12 52-56-60,cleveland halo 3i,f-60 3wd
Driver
titelist 907d2
Totally agree with crichton on this one,i am an engineer and while i fully appreciate the craftmanship that goes into mizzy forged irons,they are after all "tools of the trade" and crafted to do one thing and that is to hit golf balls,i prefer to go without covers(tried them and what a ball ache i found em)prefer after every round to give them a good clean and treat with GT85(better than wd40).In a strange kinda way i think the dings add a bit of character to the irons...just another opinion guys.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
OK - at the risk of sounding argumentative (which I'm NOT)...

You're gonna buy a set of second hand clubs! There are two sets which match your requirements, one set has been owned by me, and doesn't have a mark on any of the irons - they are immaculate, the other set is full of clatter marks on every iron...

What set do you buy?

bitofabandit

HCP
Local club/country
bingley st ives
Irons
Driver
titelist 907d2
hi deemac,yeh i would choose the non marked irons as a second hand purchase every time,i am far from well off but i just dont get into the (treating irons as an investment)mindset..i bought them to play them and enjoy what they were designed to do...not because i want them to look fantastic and fetch an extra 50 quid when i sell them,but been a hypocrite ,when ive improved enough to play mp68(got to believe and hope yeh)can i have 1st offer on ur set when you sell em lol....get ur point ...just different ways of looking at things.

Crichton1973

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
Tulliallan GC, Scotland
Irons
Driver
bitofabandit said:
i just dont get into the (treating irons as an investment)mindset..i bought them to play them and enjoy what they were designed to do...not because i want them to look fantastic and fetch an extra 50 quid when i sell them
+1, good point!

db.

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Mizuno MP62 4-PW, Mizuno MP T5 52, 58 wedges
Driver
Ping G30 / Titleist 913 D2
Deemac, no offence buddy. You are a good player obviously, but I have to agree with the previous poster. I have never seen a decent player with Iron headcovers. Never ever. All of the people I know who have them are useless. I have no idea why that is? lol

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
db. said:
Deemac, no offence buddy. You are a good player obviously, but I have to agree with the previous poster. I have never seen a decent player with Iron headcovers. Never ever. All of the people I know who have them are useless. I have no idea why that is? lol
OK Ok I give in!! I'm a crap player and have no right to be using iron covers!!

But DB - I was just looking at your signature - It should read...

"If God played golf, he'd use head covers!" ;-)

bitofabandit

HCP
Local club/country
bingley st ives
Irons
Driver
titelist 907d2
Haha..nice one deemac...i like this forum..good bit of crack and you guys are knowledgable and honest too..i like:)

db.

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Mizuno MP62 4-PW, Mizuno MP T5 52, 58 wedges
Driver
Ping G30 / Titleist 913 D2
Deemac said:
OK Ok I give in!! I'm a crap player and have no right to be using iron covers!!

But DB - I was just looking at your signature - It should read...

"If God played golf, he'd use head covers!" ;-)
Don't believe him. Anybody who gets a single figure handicap playing in the ridiculous winds of Jockland has earned it. ;-)

mattymp62

HCP
Local club/country
Cherwell Edge GC
Irons
MP-62
db. said:
I used them quite religiously up until I sinned and got some pings a couple of years ago, obviously you couldn't mark those castings if you hit them with a hammer on an anvil, so there was no need. In fact, I use the 6 iron head instead of hammer around the house now lol.

Then when I switched back to Mizuno, as I had got used to not using covers, I didn't bother. I guess I'm just lazy now.

Crichton1973

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
Tulliallan GC, Scotland
Irons
Driver
Pings Matty, was it a mid life or just a loss of confidence? Good for you to admit it and get it out in the open, now the healing begins!! ;)

mattymp62

HCP
Local club/country
Cherwell Edge GC
Irons
MP-62
Crichton1973 said:
Pings Matty, was it a mid life or just a loss of confidence? Good for you to admit it and get it out in the open, now the healing begins!! ;)

Mizuno were the only irons I'd ever played, so thought I'd try something new, oh man what a mistake, I would have given anything for my old 32's back a month after trading them in! ha ha

Thankfully I'm fully rehabillitated, I've been clean for over a year now!! lol

lofty

HCP
Local club/country
East Lothian
Irons
MP Fli-Hi 2 MX300 3-pw MP-T10 50/06,56/10 DGr300 1" long 4deg upright ,
Driver
Callaway Razr Hawk 10.5deg Aldila Rip reg Mizuno F-60 FS3 15deg stiff
Reason only bad players use covers is they forget to take them off when playing shots so they can get extra £5 when trading them in

Crichton1973

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
Tulliallan GC, Scotland
Irons
Driver
mattymp62 said:
Crichton1973 said:

Mizuno were the only irons I'd ever played, so thought I'd try something new, oh man what a mistake, I would have given anything for my old 32's back a month after trading them in! ha ha

Thankfully I'm fully rehabillitated, I've been clean for over a year now!! lol
Glad to hear it Matty, we've all probably turned to the dark side at some stage in our golfing careers.
Now if I had a set of Pings then I would definitely use a set of headcovers, infact I would probably keep them on when hitting shots! :)

Mizo

HCP
-
Local club/country
Efteling, Netherlands
Irons
18° MP FLi-Hi/MP-57/3-PW/PX 5.5, MP-T/56-10/R300
Driver
MX-560/9.5/Proforce V2S 66g
Why aren't there more bags on the market designed to keep clubs from banging together?
As far as I know, there's only the Revolver system that Bag Boy uses.
You'd think there would be a bigger market for it, if for some it's such an important issue to keep their clubs neat.

Personally I have a few dings on some club and 'swing' scratches on all clubs. And I haven't even been playing for a year. So I'm not going to worry about head covers.

Bozza

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Mizuno/MP62 Nickel
Driver
R11 9.5 Matrix
mjtoal said:
I have had 10 sets of forged clubs (8 of which were Mizuno) in my time and never used an iron head cover, and never will. I think they look rather naff, but I also like to see my irons in the bag.

I should also say I have never seen a good player who used them. Almost all the people I have seen using them were occasional golfers with either 'I bought the best even though I can't use them' irons, or rubbish clubs not worth protecting.

Apologies to any good players here who use them.
+1, they are rubbish! They belong in the bin with the automatic score recorder you get for Christmas.
Show your Mizzie's off with pride and let them get a few dings.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
I think if I had been tempted by the dark side and cheated on my fist love - the only head cover I would have used was a bag over my own head! :)

Great Crack Everyone - keep it up!! This forum is really starting to get interesting and entertaining!!!

Crichton1973

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
Tulliallan GC, Scotland
Irons
Driver
Bozza said:
mjtoal said:
I have had 10 sets of forged clubs (8 of which were Mizuno) in my time and never used an iron head cover, and never will. I think they look rather naff, but I also like to see my irons in the bag.

I should also say I have never seen a good player who used them. Almost all the people I have seen using them were occasional golfers with either 'I bought the best even though I can't use them' irons, or rubbish clubs not worth protecting.

Apologies to any good players here who use them.
+1, they are rubbish! They belong in the bin with the automatic score recorder you get for Christmas.
Show your Mizzie's off with pride and let them get a few dings.
+1 on the automatic score recorder, had to bin mine cause it didn't go above 9!

Top Bottom