Iron Head Covers

Steve D

Local club/country
The Vines Resort & Country Club / Western Australia
I've decided to get head covers for my new mizuno irons, after seeing what a miss placed putter can do to a forged club i think i'd rather keep my investment in as good condition as possible. As people here have said a quick wipe/dry after every shot can go a long way. I can also see that being in Western Australia where a cold day is low 20's that moisture might not be as big a problem as it is for the players in the UK. I agree that a nice set of vented mizuno iron covers are a must and i would happily buy genuine (don't forget to add some wedge covers muzino!)

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
Steve D said:
I've decided to get head covers for my new mizuno irons, after seeing what a miss placed putter can do to a forged club i think i'd rather keep my investment in as good condition as possible. As people here have said a quick wipe/dry after every shot can go a long way. I can also see that being in Western Australia where a cold day is low 20's that moisture might not be as big a problem as it is for the players in the UK. I agree that a nice set of vented mizuno iron covers are a must and i would happily buy genuine (don't forget to add some wedge covers muzino!)
I've had 2 genuine Mizuno Iron cover sets and they both had wedge covers included...

PW, FW(fringe wedge) and SW!

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mizuno-Golf-Iron-Head-covers-set-10pcs-Black-Headcover_W0QQitemZ220442470467QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3353652843

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Mizuno-Golf-Iron-Head-covers-set-10pcs-Blue-w-bonus_W0QQitemZ220502472770QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3356f8b842

Steve D

Local club/country
The Vines Resort & Country Club / Western Australia
Thanks for your reply Deemac, was looking at these, free shopping to Aus is always nice.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mizuno-Golf-Iron-Head-covers-set-White-grey-Headcover_W0QQitemZ320480445831QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Golf_Accessories?hash=item4a9e1f8587#ht_1000wt_935

The Grey/White Colour also doesn't look too bad.

trueblue

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
Mizuno MP58 4-pw KBS X soft stepped , New MPfli hi 3 iron ( New CLK 20 UST )
Driver
Mp630 FT 9.5 UST axi red X ....MP 3 and 5 Titanium matched
Mizuno have a patented top cuff called Kabuki on their mid and top end golf bags. This top cuff is designed to reduce dramatically the amount of clattering that the club heads endure.
Every little helps !
TB

Carisman

HCP
Local club/country
Northumberland
Irons
MP 54's 5 to PW / MP Fli Hi Nippon pro 950 R MPT-10 wedge
Driver
R9 Super tri
I use castle bay head covers for my 58's when using the carry bag... I also have a 14 divider tour cart bag. This bag is great for protecting heads as the dividers keep the heads apart. I carry an extra towel which I lay between the irons for added protection. Just make sure you do not store irons with the covers on.. ok!

Dave Lyall

HCP
Local club/country
Kirriemuir Golf Club, Scotland
Irons
Mizuno MP30 3-Pw, Black Ox Wedges,52,54 & 56, Titleist 985 19 Stiff Hybrid,Cleveland Hi Bore 17 Stiff Hybrid
Driver
Titleist 909D2,9.5 Degree, Stiff Aldila Voodoo Shaft
Hi guys, since I kicked this debate off might as well pitch in again. I respect everyones response to this since all the different ideas and opinions make great reading and if we didn't all have different opinions there would be no point in having this forum.
Not long after I posted this topic however I did purchase new iron covers purely because I love my MP30s, they are in great nick and I want to keep them that way. I am not one for change just for the sake of it, and, as they are working well for me most of the time, I intend to hang on to them a wee while longer, and when I do decide to change, chances are they will be given to my son, so the monetery value will not be the issue, but the fact that he will still have a set of pristine looking clubs in his bag, which he can enjoy and be proud of.
Mjtoal and Bozza, I respect your input as well but in my experience I have played in many inter club matches,opens etc and experienced many "good Players" who prefered to use the covers,but then again they maybe just had respect for their equipment and the amount of their hard earned cash they had shelled out, to get the gear they would enjoy and use to the best of their ability, which is not always regarded as "good" it would appear.

db.

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Mizuno MP62 4-PW, Mizuno MP T5 52, 58 wedges
Driver
Ping G30 / Titleist 913 D2
I drape a large (Mizuno) towel between the irons and get no chatter at all. Easy.

Dave Lyall

HCP
Local club/country
Kirriemuir Golf Club, Scotland
Irons
Mizuno MP30 3-Pw, Black Ox Wedges,52,54 & 56, Titleist 985 19 Stiff Hybrid,Cleveland Hi Bore 17 Stiff Hybrid
Driver
Titleist 909D2,9.5 Degree, Stiff Aldila Voodoo Shaft
Good enough idea db but I would find that more of a nuisance mucking about with the towel than taking the covers on and off !
Didn't think this topic would stir up so much interest but glad it did.At least now we have established players who use covers are hackers,Ping irons should have their own section in B & Q,and,whether or not you agree or disagree with the headcover issue we all have one common thought on the matter. NOTHING feels quite like a Mizuno !!

HCP
Local club/country
Prestonfield
Irons
JPX EX Forged 4-PW(DG-R300) / MP S18 52 & 58 (DG-W)
Driver
Taylormade M2
I bought a set of iron headcovers around 18 months ago to hide the fact I had changed my irons! I went from the MX-17's to MX-200's.

I always give my clubs a quick wipe with the towel before putting the headcover back on and if it's been a wet round I'll take all the clubs out of the bag and take the headcovers off as soon as I get home and let them dry off in the conservatory. I spent nearly £500 on my MX-200's and want them to last. I also clean them (heads and grips) with a nail brush and hot soapy water after every 5 or 6 rounds.

ChuckD

HCP
Local club/country
Sydney
Irons
MP59 KBS Tour, MP T4 50, MP-T10 54, MP-T 58
Driver
Callaway Octane Tour 9.5 ProLaunch Red Xstiff
Im in Australia, so the cold damp problem is less of an issue. I doubt the ones that I have are genuine Mizuno, but they do have Mizuno embroided on them with the iron number on the opposite side. Not keen on those ones with the little clear window so you can see the number through them. These ones have great Velcro, fit snug and look a treat. I too just wanted to protect my irons. Im not sure how long I'll have these, but when the time comes for resale, I want to get the best price I can for them. If you put 2 sets side by side, one that has had covers and one that hasnt, which ones do you think people are going to go for even if they cost a little more?? I'd be buying the ones in the best condition.

Pete Player

HCP
Local club/country
www.levi.fi
Irons
Mizuno MP-69 3-PW, Cobra Tour Trusty 52, 56°
Driver
Cobra BiO Cell+ MyFly 8.5° Matrix Ozic 6Q3 X-Stiff, TM R9 fwy woods
I'm in the let them show some wear gallery.

There is this issue called sacred cow. In India it is a bit different than in Finland.

And in France they leave the parking brake off to be able to nudge in between while finding a spot slightly shorter than the car one is using.

;D

The longer one plays his Mizunos and the more they look like used, the more they show the long time experience one have had with his companions and show off the credit he gives to the clubmaker...

Still, some time in the future I'll go for a set of new clubs, but that moment is not at hand, not just yet.

It is the same with gold. The shiny ring will get matt and the matt will polish to some extent. So somewhere there is a limes where the clubs does not age any more.

The only thing where you'll notice, that they have become old is that they've not been in production for more than half a decade or a full one.

B)

mgc6518

HCP
Local club/country
Sleepy Hollow / USA
Irons
MP-53 / R-Flex / 4-pw
Driver
Callaway Tour / 8.5 / Regular Flex
I coat my club heads after each round with a silicon spray, and store in a dry location, with only an old sock for a cover (breath really well)..

I do use regular head covers when I play. I wash those once a season in Dreft (no phosphates which can react with the metal).

I clean the club heads with a waterless, lanolin based cleaner before use to get the Silicon off.. Yes, a little work, but, I have never in 10+ years had a rust spot. I see these clubs a little like a Ferrari, fast, but often needing attention.

Swinging Looney

HCP
Local club/country
Ireland
Irons
Mizuno MP 223 4-PW, Nippon MODUS 3 Tour 115 X Flex. Mizuno T-22 wedges - 50, 54 and 58 degrees - all with Nippon MODUS 3 Tour 115 X Flex.
Driver
Mizuno GT-180 9.5 degree - Mitsubishi Kura Kage 60 X
I could never understand how anyone can stand over a shot with a dirty clubhead. I always wipe my clubs thouroughly after each and every shot. If you want to see damage on your irons, then try hitting a ball at 90 mph while you have gritty mud on your club. The deep srpay pattern scratches left will make you weep!

One thing I would definitley recommend is when you are cleaning your clubs after a round as I always do, do not use cold water. If you use water that is colder than wherever you are storing your irons, the clubheads themsleves cool down and any residual moisture left behind will not evaporate or worse still, condensation will form and rust spots are guaranteed.

I always use warm water, never hot, that leaves the clubheads feeling slightly warm to the touch after cleaning them. This way even if I don't dry them thouroughly and leave a tiny bit of water in the milled cavity of my MP52 say, the heat left in the clubhead will evaporate the water in a minute or two and all will be well! Works a treat!

Top Bottom